Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728924 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As amazing as that sounds, it seems like unless heavy time skips are involved, probably between major events, I have doubts all 10 years would get played. And not just because everyone died.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

As amazing as that sounds, it seems like unless heavy time skips are involved, probably between major events, I have doubts all 10 years would get played. And not just because everyone died.

Yeah, the original only made it through seven in total. It's not exactly a journey that's meant to necessarily be survived, although timeskips would definitely be present.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

I'm Irish so I automatically approve.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I suppose it would be unique at least. Not often people get a chance to join an rtd where eventual failure is the only option outside of silly minimalist stuff.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Hey Fniff. So like. I'm cleaning up that list of random generators so I can write a little python script to automate rolling, and I was wondering what this is:
Code: [Select]
1d4 for amount of effects. Roll for effects.It shows up several times. When it says "effects" does it mean the sub-lists on that generator? Or does it mean to roll from the list of generic effects at the top?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The top list. That's the sweet, succulent main meat of the generators, as I see it.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Indeed, it's the top list. It's cool you're doing a python script for it, rolling can get a little difficult. Someone else did a script but it was only for weapons as I remember.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Hmmmm. Right now I have a program that loads in those lists and rolls them for you, but I'm conflicted as to what format to read them in with. I could do a bit more if I converted the text into an xml file, but I get the feeling that you want the lists to be human-readable so that someone can just throw a die and look up the value on the table.

So what I'm trying to do is make something the program can read, but isn't ugly to look at in case you'd rather use it manually.
Code: [Select]
[Drugs]
[Ingestion Method]
Injected
Drunk
Snorted
Pill
Eaten
Eyedrops
Smoked
[Addiction]
Not addictive at all.
Not very addictive. Need one every 20 turns.
Somewhat addictive. Need one every 15 turns.
Addictive. Need one every 10 turns.
Very Addictive. Need one every 5 turns.
[Withdrawal In]
Five Turns
Ten Turns
Twenty Turns
Fourty Turns
Eighty Turns
[Withdrawal Length]
Lasts one turn.
Lasts five turns.
Lasts ten turns.
Lasts fifteen turns.
Lasts twenty turns.
[Effect Length]
Lasts one turn.
Lasts five turns.
Lasts ten turns.
Lasts fifteen turns.
Lasts twenty turns.

The actual file will look like that, so you can replace the one on the pad with it and it won't look like hell. Look good?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That would be just fine, Gatleos! I imagine most of the generator formats would fit that format rather well. This is surprisingly convenient for me because I'm thinking of running an RTD with those generators since I feel I'm wasting their potential slightly. Thanks a lot!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Wow okay, so I basically just coded a goddamn scripting language for this thing. Here you go. An updated copy of the generator list is included with it, you can replace the one on PiratePad with that one if you want.

This thing's actually really powerful, you can extend those lists to huge sizes now. It lets you generate random strings from lists, as well as randomly alter numbers with standard operations. You can make a generator with an arbitrarily large structure too. The ones you already had barely scratch the surface.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, that's great! Do either of you mind if I mess around with it? I might add the properties into the other sections or something.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Yeah, that's fine! It's made to be general-use, so you don't even have to use the lists it comes with. The goal is to get as many people adding to it as possible until we have an enormous database of generators.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gah. I had a look through your code, and you literally had one comment. I'm still learning python, so maybe it'll make more sense later, but really... one comment?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Good lord, stay out. The eldritch symbols will turn you mad. :P

I didn't know you meant looking through the code. I'm still working on the next version, and it wouldn't be any trouble to add comments if you're planning on looking through it.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That would be quite helpful. I think I might be able to use it for my text art/modular weaponry generator eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 661