Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728466 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Finished the first skill block in Small Mercies. Granted, the flavor text is rife with areas where I've dropped words (my most common writing mistake, hands work slower than brain), and some of them undoubtedly need tweaking, but part 1/5 of part 1/4 is done.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

FINALLY.

BLOODY FINALLY MADE THAT THING WITH THIS THREAD AND THAT LIBRARY.

and now sleep x-x

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

You should probably fix your sig with the proper link, then, to be complete.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will update it when I'm not x_x

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Finished the first skill block in Small Mercies. Granted, the flavor text is rife with areas where I've dropped words (my most common writing mistake, hands work slower than brain), and some of them undoubtedly need tweaking, but part 1/5 of part 1/4 is done.
Out of curiosity, has the first "block" broken the 40K character limit yet?

Also, now that I'm here, I might as well ask a question (this is to anyone reading this). Since I do hope to one day (after getting off my ass) make another RTD.

Which of the below sounds the most interesting:
1-An RTD that is some odd mix of revolutionary fluff, generic D&D, and WW2/WW1 tech
2-A genericish medieval fantasy RTD with Angels and Demons replacing Elves and Dwarves, and the bad guys being none of the four and not Human
3-Some sort of Sci-Fi RTD where there are spaceships traveling between dimensions visiting hundreds of different types of Earths (which are almost nothing like our Earth) while being accosted by everything from radical Humans to parasitic aliens to alien robots to people's worst fears becoming real, and the PCs are part of a faction that wants to go back to Earth
4-A highly combat-oriented Sci-Fi RTD with everything a combat Sci-Fi needs, like laser weapons, plasma weapons, rail/coilguns, bullet weapons, highly advanced missile weapons, shields, futuristic metal armor, and lots of Humans and aliens killing eachother in melee, with super-metal and energy melee weapons or even their bare fists.
5-A different version of the previous, set back in time during a period where Humanity was highly outteched and desperate, and the RTD is set to be dangerous to the players from the very beginning
6-Or a Sci-Fi RTD set shortly after the war of the previous two RTDs (yet is not as combat-oriented), dealing with the internal troubles of a space-faring Humanity that had won but was still shattered by the war of the two previous RTDs, and the numerous external things that want to destroy Humanity now that they aren't in danger of being destroyed by the race Humanity was at war with
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

#5, in my opinion! Or #4 or #6, since they are similar. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All of them.

It's what you put in it that makes it interesting.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

#2.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Out of curiosity, has the first "block" broken the 40K character limit yet?

CQC skills: +8k words, +47K characters.

#3,#6

PS: That figure is without titles and without wikicode. It's quite a bit longer if you include the actual wikicode for the tables and panels present on each skill.

PS2: So, if this trend remains constant, the end skill system consists of roughly 940K characters.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:16:56 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile

Any chance we can see what you have so far?
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Of course. There's a link to the wiki a few pages back that I can recall for you. Do bear in mind that editing is either minimal or non-existent, so everything is in roughest form. Gets the point across though.

Here it is,
Huh. Well, if you wanted to keep up with the dev-cycle, such as it is, Go here.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PS: That figure is without titles and without wikicode. It's quite a bit longer if you include the actual wikicode for the tables and panels present on each skill.

PS2: So, if this trend remains constant, the end skill system consists of roughly 940K characters.
So it's definitely safe to say you're going to need to link outside B12 at least once in order to run the game properly.

You plan on making anything else so lengthy that it needs an external link besides skills? :P
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

2-A genericish medieval fantasy RTD with Angels and Demons replacing Elves and Dwarves, and the bad guys being none of the four and not Human

'Splain! I'd like to hear about/possibly play in this one.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

'Splain! I'd like to hear about/possibly play in this one.
It's the notably less serious of all the others (that said, it isn't a silly RTD, the meaning is relative). It doesn't have a complex introduction or storyline, but here's the intro:
Spoiler: Intro (click to show/hide)

As for the rules, this RTD, should I chose to run it, will be one of the first that I try using an skill+attributes increases dice size rather than dice roll system. Might fail, might be awesome, have no idea. It also has a fairly non-generic system for combat, and numerous different skill types.

It also has more than trippledozen times as many character creation choices than most minimalist RTDs. Truefax.

Here's some experimentation I had a bit ago while designing the system. Do note, this was designed purely for me, so quite a few things are unexplained and some things are much more "raw" than they would be in the actual RTD. Heck, even I can't remember off-the-bat what some things mean without thinking on them for a while (I haven't worked on this for a notable amount of time). Also note that this is somewhat outdated (notably, percentage skill gains are not a thing anymore). Still, it gives a fair example of stuff that might be seen in the RTD.

If anyone wants explanations for any of the other 5, go ahead and ask. Do note, some will have more or less detailed answers as I have put differing types of effort on each.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So it's definitely safe to say you're going to need to link outside B12 at least once in order to run the game properly.

You plan on making anything else so lengthy that it needs an external link besides skills? :P

Everything, actually. If I launch the game, this will be my first OP that won't even come close to bucking the character limit. I want to offshore pretty much every part of the game to the wiki. I can have as much background as I want, as much minutia, and I don't have to worry about character limits or saving space. D22 ended up punting pretty much every bit of useful information except storyline, character creation, and villains, off to a wiki.  I'm going to preempt that process and design the game from the wiki, and then just link the wiki copiously.

Traits will probably be long enough that I wouldn't want to put it onto a forum post. Prestige organizations might. Backstory will. Weapons will. Armor might. Ships/Vehicles will. The list probably goes on, but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.

Of course, since I plan on implementing all of the bookkeeping in whichever language I decide to hone, its entirely possible that the system I use to keep track of you guys will turn into a game itself.
---
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 661