Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727872 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7560 on: January 08, 2014, 11:15:36 am »

Thanks guys...so much. I will ponder on that for...a few days. =]

Edit: Oh wow, a new page. Now people will wonder who I'm talking to! D:
Mwahaha~

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7561 on: January 08, 2014, 11:16:59 am »

Everyone likes a new RTD. Don't worry about the setting too much.

The setting is important, actually. A medieval-type game has significantly different gameplay than a futuristic one.

What's more important, though, is how elaborate the game is (you could actually relate that to the setting as well - futuristic lends itself to complexity more, medieval lends itself to greater simplicity). Highly elaborate games tend to have extremely slow update rates. They're fun to sign up for, though.

Yes, but the general point of everyone likes a new rtd is true. (edit - as fniff has replied)

Errm, I mean that, sans my personal IRL problems getting in the way, I'm really curious on whether people are still interested despite the wait. Because I talked to a player and he said (while he's interested) that if delays will go as such then in general the playerbase will slowly whittle out and soon the RTD will be lacking and die, paraphrased from memory and I may be interpreting it wrong..but that's what I got.

And being a newbie GM is...well it pretty much has a greater effect than one who has GMd a lot and has a beltload of experience on that matter.

Occasionally people play genre favorites (I like medieval over sci-fi), but if the game's good, it's good, and people will play.
...And said GM asking that question is unsure of her own esteem >_> But..I got it. Thank you both for that very muchly.

My current two games are quite slow, and I am sure they would be better (easier to remember the plot) if they were updated more often. But then the players are still either interested or polite, so who knows. But I get your point about being an inexperienced GM etc.

Any, freeform is right. I have preferences, but I can't imagine a game setting and concept that would alienate everyone on the rtd board and get no players. I'd like to imagine such a game though.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7562 on: January 08, 2014, 11:19:23 am »

An RTD that would alienate absolutely everyone? Hrm...

Roll to Slowly Die of Radiation Poisoning After A Nuclear Attack?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:24:10 am by Fniff »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7563 on: January 08, 2014, 11:23:41 am »

Well, I guess, but, I don't know.

It'd be interesting to do a survey of what people would play - cross reference settings, concepts, tone, etc.

Not on the same topic, but I was, not long ago, considering a concept involving being a team of crime fighting people like in Knight Rider, where every player would have an intelligent car, which would frequently run them over. I was also considering a concept called Mass Effeck, set in an alternative future after it had been discovered that priests could be used to fuel FTL space travel.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7564 on: January 08, 2014, 11:23:50 am »

Phah. Only really really bad RTDs (or sexually implicit//forum-rule breaking RTDs) would really do that.

Or really bad socially evil RTDs which employ racism without context or really bad stuff, which really do fall under forum-rule breaking would do that :P

...On that note, now I'm confused if people are being polite or... xD

[...]I can't imagine a game setting and concept that would alienate everyone on the rtd board and get no players. I'd like to imagine such a game though.
Illegible text games even...have players. x3

Because it seems everyone sees a puzzle in everything. Even..really annoying (pseudo-)"puzzles"

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7565 on: January 08, 2014, 11:26:35 am »

...On that note, now I'm confused if people are being polite or... xD

No, I don't think so - people can only be polite for so long. You can tell when people aren't really that interested. Well, I believe I can.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7566 on: January 08, 2014, 11:27:39 am »

Well I set the standards at 'people will tell you when they do' because the only things I got when people dropped out were their...general inactivity. So politeness is the best way ever.
Yeah seriously thanks guys >_<

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7567 on: January 08, 2014, 11:29:28 am »

Well, I guess, but, I don't know.

It'd be interesting to do a survey of what people would play - cross reference settings, concepts, tone, etc.

Not on the same topic, but I was, not long ago, considering a concept involving being a team of crime fighting people like in Knight Rider, where every player would have an intelligent car, which would frequently run them over. I was also considering a concept called Mass Effeck, set in an alternative future after it had been discovered that priests could be used to fuel FTL space travel.

a concept called Mass Effeck, set in an alternative future after it had been discovered that priests could be used to fuel FTL space travel.

...!!

Mass Effeck

* Yoink dies.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7568 on: January 08, 2014, 11:30:39 am »

xD

Ohgods now I get wat la was referring to. His other Priest game (british humor ahoy!) and...xDD

That had me laughing for a while.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7569 on: January 08, 2014, 01:28:21 pm »

An RTD that would alienate absolutely everyone? Hrm...

Roll to Slowly Die of Radiation Poisoning After A Nuclear Attack?

Challenge Accepted

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7570 on: January 08, 2014, 04:28:52 pm »

I'm considering each class adding or subtracting from class die pools, for Attack, Defense (physical), Magic, Dexterity (magic), Focus (ranged attacks) and Skill (affects level ups).

Most are equal, +1, or -1. +2s and -2s are possible. You can't choose a class that would make one of your die pools 0 or below.

You'll be able to choose a Past, Profession, and possible a few other things that influence your stats. Growing up as a farmer who decided to spend time at church until becoming a monk would be strong and tough, as well as having piety, but may not know how to handle weapons.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7571 on: January 08, 2014, 08:56:28 pm »

I think a strict update schedule would help out with making sure GMs keep up. Basically, if they haven't posted for four days, say, the next GM is fully within his rights to pick up where he left off.
Spoiler: Possible Rules Set (click to show/hide)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7572 on: January 09, 2014, 09:56:39 am »

Great! Now all we need is a setting that suits having multiple GMs with different tastes.

Hrm... players are shifting between alternate universes?

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7573 on: January 09, 2014, 11:13:08 am »

I've got a few ideas. Specifically, an RTD where the players are monsters fighting each other, the other is a conversion of the WYRM system to RTD form.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7574 on: January 09, 2014, 11:19:12 am »

Great! Now all we need is a setting that suits having multiple GMs with different tastes.

Hrm... players are shifting between alternate universes?
Well, the only thing you need is a plot device to get the players between different universes, and perhaps a way to create a somewhat coherent plot.

Suggestions:
     - It's all a virtual reality, and the computer doing to simulation is breaking down
     - Interdimensional Time Travelling machine
     - Somebody destroyed the continuity of time and space, causing everything to happen at once. Sometimes it settles down, but at other time random things change.
     - A wizard did it.
     - A god did it.

Though you might not need it. Pretty sure that with decent GM's they'll be able to solve the transitions themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 661