Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728262 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7470 on: December 12, 2013, 10:18:47 pm »

@Owl: Idea. GM is a physical position within the story, in this case a king with the players as courtiers. King decides what happens in the realm completely. GM starts out as the first King, then eventually gets deposed by his vassals. Though being a loyal sycophant has benefits like landed titles and such. CK2 RTD!

Monk: Now that you mention it, titles are a very important part indeed. Titles can be pigeonholed into certain genres. "Roll to X" RTDs imply basic mechanics, for instance. Generally I try to make my RTDs soundd like the title of a book in the genre of the roleplay. I'm particularly fond of one RTD name that was suggested by my brother: The Coil. Didn't mean much within the RP, yet it just worked for me in a strange way.

aattss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7471 on: December 14, 2013, 11:53:25 am »

Leveling Mechanism Idea

Players start out with d4's. When the player rolls a crit (i.e. rolls a dx and gets an x), the player levels up. If necessary, the player would roll another dice to see whether or not he levels up or just makes progress. This represents progression (i.e. normal person becoming a hero, or a legendary warrior becoming a god). Players who defeat more powerful players may also become stronger, although this would need the GM to prevent kill-stealing. Other attempts to become stronger may add perks or bonuses.

Another idea I had was a simplistic health system where the health represents the number of "wounds" you can recieve and can be equated to the difference in dice rolls in combat.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:00:08 pm by aattss »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7472 on: December 14, 2013, 11:57:44 am »

If we're on the subject of titles, I usually try to have a two-part title; the name itself, and then a few words explaining the concept. Ala 'Nowhere to Run - a futuristic bounty hunter RTD'. Just a short title will need to very interesting/striking to actually catch people's interest - unless the author is already someone they like. That's how my RTD-clicking process works, anyway.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: December 14, 2013, 04:54:05 pm »

If you feel the desire for a titleimage, PM me and I will whirl something up for you when I get a chance.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7474 on: December 15, 2013, 12:16:57 am »

So this is a combat system I've been working on that was originally going to be for an Assassin's Creed RTD I was planning until I settled on just making this system instead.

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 12:27:20 am by adwarf »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7475 on: December 15, 2013, 12:21:49 am »

That looks really cool.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7476 on: December 15, 2013, 12:29:14 am »

I like that system.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7477 on: December 15, 2013, 12:19:12 pm »

I'm wanting to thrash out a combat system. Something involving dice-pools, and successes vs failures.

Like, a player decides to wrestle a chicken. The chicken is fast, and requires 2 successes to properly be wrestled. The player, a simple farmer at this point, has a Strength of 1, a Finesse of 1, and an Agility of 1. The chicken is safe- Strength determines maximum size of die, Finesse determines how many, and Agility is for dodging enemy attack. The chicken has roughly the same stats, except has higher agility than the player.

The player, currently, has 1d4. All rolls fit on this table, with certain exceptions:
1: Critical failure. -2 successes.
2: Failure. -1 success.
3: Failure. -1 success.
4: No Effect
5: No Effect
6: Success (1)
7: Success (1)
8: Great Success (2)
9: Great Success (2)
10: Perfect (3)
Dice are considered exploding, so rolling a 4 on a 1d4 means another roll. Dice gained in this manner will not detract from successes.
The highest possible roll on a die is always considered a Success or higher. A die must have at least one "No Effect", and if it is lacking, the number before highest possible roll will be considered this.

Meaning: d4s are extra special and have Crit Fail/Fail/No Effect/Success, d6s and on are normal, there is an exploding die element.

The farmer attempts to wrestle the chicken into submission and rolls a 4, then a 1 (explode). The farmer gets one success out of two, and the chicken escapes.

The farmer starts training, and raises Finesse. He now rolls 2d4 to attack, and attempts again the next day.
The farmer again fails, with a 3,2. -1 successes- ouch. He goes home, trains again, and now raises Strength.

The chicken is angry, and also attempts to attack. The chicken's agility is higher, and thus, goes first.
(3) The farmer is unhurt.

The farmer attempts once more, this time with (4)(6,3). It's not enough.

The farmer is spotted by a local Hero, who attempts to show the Farmer how it's done. The Hero has two Strength and three Finesse.
(5)(1)(6,6,3) The Hero makes a great approach, but trips and falls. He was so close!

Hmmm. Could probably use work, or I could try and more directly use something like Battle for Wesnoth's system of damage x attacks at x accuracy...
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7478 on: December 15, 2013, 12:30:11 pm »

So this is a combat system I've been working on that was originally going to be for an Assassin's Creed RTD I was planning until I settled on just making this system instead.

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

I like this, especially since it's rather adaptable. It might be fun to run a sort of arena where players fight beasts, but their items are chosen by "packs." For instance, one player is offered a "Fang" pack, a "Fire and Steel" pack, and an "Assassin" pack. the players don't know what's in each pack- most contain at least two types of weapon and some kind of armor.

The Fang might contain a dagger shaped like a fang, which does low damage on anything but direct hits/crits, with very high attacking speed, lacks the ability to parry though can counter, and has no real special ability, a Thrown weapon that's four fang-like sharpened bones, like a shuriken, which does low damage on anything but crits, has insane speed, cannot parry or counter, but ignores armor. Armor would be leather/fur.

Fire and Steel might have a flintlock that causes fires, throwable greek fire, and light steel armor.

Assassins might have a poisoned dagger and a spear made to look like a laundry pole, as well as concealable armor/robes.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7479 on: December 16, 2013, 06:24:25 pm »

Aboard the ISS Icarus, not all is as it seems. So many people, supposedly working on a single agenda, each having their own plans...

Every character will be randomly assigned an End Goal, a Job, and a Body.

End Goals determine what side you're on- you may want to destroy the station, or keep it intact- maybe you just want off of it, or are hunting for someone...

A Job is the task you'll have to do while on the station, and not doing it for consecutive days causes worse and worse things to happen. Each job is under a Cluster which is under a Type, and this determines what each sign means:
For instance, Engineer>Power>Solar Array Manager. Not doing their job for three days results in:
1. The first sign is something that appears whenever all engineers do not put in the required hours to keep the station running: minor breakdowns, such as empty vending machines and a few broken lights.
2. The next stage is whenever a Power job is left undone when Engineers are lacking their hours. Random outages occur and the station's reserves are tapped into.
3. If Stage2 persists, the Solar Array will fail critically and be inoperable for the rest of the game (shift).

A Body type determines side goals, special abilities, and partial backstory. A Drone may be posing as a human, with a side goal of being undiscovered as a Drone, the ability to repair electronics and resist shocks, and link them with other players related (other Drones, the AI, etc.)

Mafia SS13, kinda.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7480 on: December 16, 2013, 06:36:31 pm »

Sign me right the hell up!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7483 on: December 16, 2013, 08:56:43 pm »

It needs some work still.

Meanwhile, the idea of drone combat arena appeared.

It's like future RoboWars, but with advanced human-ish drones. Or not. You don't have to be humanoid.

You first choose your Chassis, which determines build. Lightweights move fast and aren't easy to hit, but lack armor and weight tolerance, heavyweights are easy to target but can withstand many blows (and deal them) and Midweights are a good compromise.

Then you choose Armor Type. Ranging from Carbon Fiber to Quantic Titanium, these have different effects and weights. Carbon Fiber is the lightest and provides heavy bonuses towards lightweights, Quantic Titanium is a very heavy metal that gives off a natural barrier of energy, meaning it's great for withstanding attacks but rather poor at not weighing a lot.

Next is Build. Most players opt for "Humanoid", "Feminine", or "Masculine", being very close to a human layout while using knowledge of how the human body is built to capitalize on a drone's abilities (slight mods), but some very unique builds exist (Centipede, for instance).

After that is Weapon Selection. Ten weapons are randomly generated for you, and you get to take whatever you can carry.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7484 on: December 17, 2013, 02:17:40 am »

Less rtdcrafting, more SS13 2000!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 661