Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727491 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7245 on: November 07, 2013, 01:51:36 pm »

How about also rewarding malevolence? The one who kills the player gets to be the next player, for instance.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7246 on: November 07, 2013, 01:54:16 pm »

How about also rewarding malevolence? The one who kills the player gets to be the next player, for instance.
Hmm, I like that. The killer gets dumped in. Nice for vengeance plots.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: November 07, 2013, 01:56:11 pm »

Hmm, that depends. Canceling out is quickest, but if you want a more random game then a chance of getting either a +1 or a -1 until you use up all bene/malevolence would work out.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: November 07, 2013, 01:59:24 pm »

Ok, I think I'll have it be SeriousConcentrate's idea of dwindling mal/ben with a 50/50 chance of either, and Harry Baldman's idea of killer gets the next round.

I'll go make the thread.
The Derail Thread

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: November 07, 2013, 02:01:03 pm »

Maybe a third point system could be put in: Power. Basically, when players are suggesting things, they assign themselves a sphere, which is hidden from the other players and PMed to the GM. It could be Communism, War, or Fire. If they get the player to do something that fits this sphere by the time the player dies, their power increases. They can use this during their turn to gain them an advantage.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: November 07, 2013, 02:08:40 pm »

Maybe a third point system could be put in: Power. Basically, when players are suggesting things, they assign themselves a sphere, which is hidden from the other players and PMed to the GM. It could be Communism, War, or Fire. If they get the player to do something that fits this sphere by the time the player dies, their power increases. They can use this during their turn to gain them an advantage.
Hmm, that sounds interesting, I think I'll put that in.

Also, what should I call the game?
The Derail Thread

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: November 07, 2013, 02:11:59 pm »

The Avatar and the Authorities. Avatars are players who are on their turn, Authorities are players who are suggesting things.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: November 07, 2013, 02:14:13 pm »

The Avatar and the Authorities. Avatars are players who are on their turn, Authorities are players who are suggesting things.
Ok, it's up.
The Derail Thread

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: November 08, 2013, 08:42:47 pm »

So I wrote rules for hacking in an RTD. It's for one I'm doing right now, so it'd be nice to get some opinions. Also, I'm using a slightly different rolling system, so forgive the slightly different set-up.

While hacking a computer, there is three types of action you can take.
Aggressive: Gives a +1 to your hacking attempts, but gives a +1 to detection rolls. This type of action is directly and aggressively hacking the system, being extremely obvious but with the benefit of directness. You aren't faffing about with stealth, which frees up your mind to hack the system.
Covert: Gives a -1 to your hacking attempts, but gives a -1 to detection rolls. This type of action is quietly and stealthily hacking the system, being less detectable but with the drawback of precision. You have to concentrate to make sure you aren't being traced.
Defensive: You don't do anything, but you roll to raise your camo by one. While this is done, there is no detection roll. This type of action is playing innocent by doing things a regular user would do, throwing off the system but having the drawback of inaction. You can't do anything illegal when you're playing the "I'm just a normal user, don't mind me" routine.

Detection rolls are made by the system every turn (Well, depending on the camouflage state).
Major Failure (1): Camouflage goes down by two.
Bad Failure (2): Camouflage goes down by one.
Minor Failure (3): The next detection roll gets a -1.
Minor Success(4): Nothing happens.
Good Success (5): The next detection roll gets a +1.
Major Success (6): There isn't a detection roll next turn.

Defensive Rolls are made by players to bring up Camouflage.
Major Failure (1): Camouflage goes down by two.
Bad Failure (2): Camouflage goes down by one.
Minor Failure (3): The next detection roll gets a -1.
Minor Success(4): Camouflage goes up by one.
Good Success (5): Camouflage goes up by two.
Major Success (6): Camouflage goes up by three OR Admin access is given (Depending on the situation).

Camouflage measures how safe you are within the system before it starts tracing you.
Admin means you are considered the admin of the system and will not be traced. However, whenever you do an aggressive action, a detection roll is made with a +1. This cannot be reached unless you get a major success (a 5) on a defensive roll at a Defensive roll.
Undetected means you are not be traced and are considered a normal user. However, whenever you do an action that isn't defensive, a detection roll is made.
Tracking means you are considered suspicious by the system and are being tracked. Whenever you do an action that is not defensive, you get a -1.
Impeded means you are being stopped by the system from hacking. Whenever you do an action, you get a -2 to it. If you fail the next detection roll, then you are being Traced.
Traced means you are being traced by the system. After three turns, you roll to avoid getting locked out of the system. After this, you have to choose to either spend a Luck point or start drawing Heat in order to continue hacking.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: November 08, 2013, 08:48:59 pm »

Sounds pretty cool, I'd play it.
The Derail Thread

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: November 08, 2013, 09:21:03 pm »

You might want to re-arrange the pluses and minuses for the detection rolls for actions, or reverse the order for the detection success table, because as it's written, going aggressive makes you less likely to be noticed.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: November 08, 2013, 09:27:04 pm »

Hrm. Good point... I'll have to change that up, thanks for pointing that out!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: November 08, 2013, 10:22:03 pm »

I was considering a sort of paintball game where players start with a set amount of points, and create characters that alter the amount of points they get. Possibly, even have starting points semirandom.

Anyway, you get to upgrade things. You can put points into your Weapons, Armor, and Movement.

Each thing trees, and your weapon is chosen from a starting set:
PB Rifle: The basic rifle. One shot, set damage.
PB SMG: Submachinegun. Three shots, lower hit chance, lower damage.
PB Shotgun: Variable damage, lowers over distance
---
Movement comes in three types:
Speed: +1s to tiles moved per turn.
Climb: Allows you to move over spaces, parkour style, without losing extra movement for them.
Run/Gun: Allows you to make movements and shooting actions together- at first, no penalty for both in a turn, ability to shoot at a target mid-movement, etc.
---
Lastly, you'll need to upgrade your armor. Generally this just gives you more HP, though after a certain point you start getting chances to reduce damage taken (Shotgun rolls a 4, takes 3 instead).

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: November 11, 2013, 08:03:34 am »

((Huh, I've never seen that half/whole action thing before. There should really be like an rtd basics faq or something.))

...If nobody's going to do it (after all the talk before), then I will. And we all know how bad my english and formatting is. >_> And if I will do it, then expect delays ~2 weeks from now at best.

And we all know how bad I am with schedules barring me giving an explanation of how my RL is because that's the primary hindrance to all the schedules.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: November 11, 2013, 01:22:49 pm »

Much of the RTD ruleset is up to so much speculation there's hardly a point in making a basics FAQ. Even using a d6 is hardly a constant among RTDs, let alone the interpretations of the results. If you ever want to know something about an RTD, you can do one of two things.

1. If you're a player, ask the GM, as that is the only true authority on game mechanics in a given game. For instance, the full action/half action thing is something that about one to three people that I know of even use.
2. If you're the GM, there's no point, as you can alter the rules as you please and no one can say you're wrong, so go with what seems right to you. Experiment and do as you please, then adjust rules according to experience.
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 661