Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727215 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7170 on: October 23, 2013, 09:36:52 pm »

So, what are your plans for what happens when a player dies? Just toss more bodies onto the pile from the waitlist? Wait until everyone in the current group dies? Insert other thingy here?. On the topic of food and water, how much food would eating generally give you. In addition, what would be the limit of those need meters. The more often players have to eat the more time will probably be spent doing generic "look for food" actions, which I would normally say would be boring but with the potential for fauna and flora that eviscerates the surrounding terrain just by existing that might be slightly wrong. How long will turns take, as a corollary(not sure if this is actually a proper use) to that. I imagine fight turns and "camp" type turns would need differentiating, but how many turns would a day take provided nothing particularly dangerous happens.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7171 on: October 23, 2013, 10:13:51 pm »

Can one still operate a "true" RtD if it uses 2d6 instead of 1d6 for the rolls? Or is the 1d6 standard a requisite for a proper game?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: October 23, 2013, 10:15:11 pm »

An RTD is generally just a catch-all term for dice based play by post games.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: October 23, 2013, 10:18:10 pm »

Oh. Derm. I was just updating my game, and I was thinking of you while I was drawing the brand new chasm the players made.
It's going well, it wasn't a horrible idea; although I'm laughing at myself for thinking it would as good as I thought.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:46 pm »

It's good to know that I inspire gaping endless holes into the void at the bottom of the earth.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: October 23, 2013, 10:25:01 pm »

I was thinking, if my players could cause this, what would it be like if Derm had signed up?
I'm actually thinking the destruction might have been delayed, though.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: October 23, 2013, 10:39:25 pm »

I miss the 'Make a semi-minimal character and LETS HAVE AN ADVENTURE WITH DRAGONS IN IT.' style RTD's. What's with all these arenas and god games and tribal leaders and stuff?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: October 23, 2013, 11:14:22 pm »

I miss the 'Make a semi-minimal character and LETS HAVE AN ADVENTURE WITH DRAGONS IN IT.' style RTD's. What's with all these arenas and god games and tribal leaders and stuff?
Yeah, I never got to play in one, but when I first joined the forums I thought they were fun to read. Maybe I'm just old and crotchety, but it seems like most games these days are too preoccupied with having novel concepts and/or mechanics. Give me a game with a simple open-world fantasy concept and some simple mechanics and I'll sign up in a jiffy. Or just give me some simple mechanics and I'll run the game myself.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: October 23, 2013, 11:26:35 pm »

I kind of want to run one but I feel if I were to open a game thread in the forums it'd be better if I just revived the testing thread because I know I'd drop any game I make.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7180 on: October 24, 2013, 02:26:10 pm »

So I was watching my brother playing Red Orchestra 2, a game set on the Eastern Front during WW2. The battles in it are incredibly lethal and the average player's lifetime is around thirty seconds in the heat of it. So I thought... I wonder how you could make an RTD like that, yet not have it be incredibly annoying? Well, here's my stab at it.

You are fighting in a city during a revolution. There are six players, who are separated into groups of three. One is rebels, one is government. They then roll a d3 for rank. One is private, two is corporal, three is sergeant. The higher the rank, the more people you can order around. Then you choose your speciality: healing (+1 to healing people), sneaking (+1 to sneaking around), or robusting (+1 to fighting). Characters in this RTD would die a lot, so these are blanket things for your characters: if you choose to be sneaky, you will always get sneaky characters. However, the rank is rerolled between characters. Players also start out with one AK47 and a radio, no matter what side they are on.

The thing about the RTD is that it is is highly lethal. Like an actual war, death is around every corner and you will get screwed over. Don't get attached to your characters until they've proven themselves able to survive, and even then don't be afraid of them dying. There are three core mechanics that apply to various actions.

Healing is making sure your friends don't die. Characters start out with only three health points, and when they run out of them they enter "critical state". They are still alive and thinking, but they have to roll every turn to not die. If they get anything other then a success, they die. Healing brings them out of critical condition and may add a health point.
Healing People
1: You screw up badly. They lose a health point.
2: No change.
3: No change, but you get +1 on your next healing roll to them.
4: One health point restored!
5: Two health points restored!
6: You cause them to enter a martial trance: while in martial trance, they are fully restored to health and get +1 to fighting, but in five turns they will collapse into a critical state from the shock.

Bringing People out of Critical States
1: You screw up badly. They die horribly and in pain.
2: No change.
3: They get a +1 to not dying.
4: They are brought out of critical condition.
5: They are brought out of critical condition and given one health point extra.
6: You cause them to enter a martial trance: while in martial trance, they are fully restored to health and get +1 to fighting, but in five turns they will collapse into a critical state from the shock.

Sneaking is making sure you don't get shot at. This includes taking cover and sneaking. Taking cover gives increasing modifiers against getting shot at while sneaking allows you to move without risking getting shot.
Taking cover
1: You accidentally expose yourself to the enemy. They get a +1 for shooting at you until you find cover.
2: You can't find cover.
3: You find cover that gives -1 to enemy fire, but is destroyed after one shot by the enemy.
4: You find cover that's stable. It gives -1 to enemy fire for as long as you remain in it.
5: You find cover that hides you entirely. The enemy can't get you from here until they launch a direct assault or toss a grenade in.
6: You find cover that hides you entirely, but means you can't see what's happening. The enemy can't get at you, but their rolls are hidden from you.

Sneaking

While sneaking, you are rolling to prevent the enemy's awareness of you rising. The enemy's awareness of you is measured in a meter with three points: Unseen means they are unaware of your presence. Suspicious means they are aware someone is around, but not sure where. Aware means they know your exact position and are ready to fight you. Fighting someone with a gun will drop the meter by one.
1: You accidentally expose yourself completely. Enemies are now Aware automatically.
2: You leave evidence of yourself. Enemies go up one.
3: Nothing happened. The enemy's awareness doesn't change.
4: You stay quiet, and they think you're no longer around. Enemies go down one.
5: They become convinced you have left. Enemies are now Unseen automatically.
6: You managed to avoid them for now, but they are aware of your presence. The enemy's status is now Unseen, but you will get a -1 to your next roll.

Robusting is making sure the enemy get shot at. This is mostly fighting as you might guess if you're a fan of SS13, but it also includes construction.
Fighting
For players...
1: The gun jammed. Oh dear. While you desperately try to unjam it, the enemy gets a +1 on their next roll.
2: You missed.
3: You injure an enemy. They get a -1 to all rolls.
4: You kill an enemy.
5: You kill a lot of enemies. The number of enemies present is rolled for (As in, six enemies = d6). The result is amount of enemies killed.
6: Friendly fire. You cause one health point of damage to the nearest friendly.

For enemies....
1: Direct hit. You lose two health points.
2: Indirect hit. You lose one health points.
3: Fleshwound. You get a -1 for the next turn.
4: Miss. Nothing happens.
5: (un)Friendly fire. The enemy kills their nearest friend (If none are present, they shoot themselves).
6: Misses you. The nearest friendly gets shot instead for one health point.

Construction
While constructing, you are slowly adding more to a meter. When the meter reaches it's highest number, the construction is complete. Small objects have a maximum number of four, medium objects have a maximum number of six, and large objects have a maximum number of eight.
1: You break something by accident. The meter drops by one.
2: Nothing changes. The meter stays the same.
3: A minor addition. The meter goes up by one.
4: A nice addition. The meter goes up by two.
5: A major addition. The meter goes up by three.
6: You cobble it together. The object is completed, but every turn must roll. If it is not a success, the object breaks and is useless.

Though, what happens if your characters manage to survive? Well, they gain a name, and abilities.

At the start, your characters don't have names. When characters speak their name, they just state their rank. However, as time goes on and they actually prove themselves capable of surviving, they gain a name slowly but surely. The GM gives them names when they do something cool like accomplish an objective or save a friend from certain death.

First, they get a rather embarrassing/plain nickname like "Medic" or "Squinty" chosen by the GM depending on the player's actions. Then, they get a first name that the player chooses. Then, a second name that is also chosen by the player. Then they get a nickname from their friends that is rather cool, like "Ironsights" or "Razor" that is chosen by the GM. Then finally, a nickname that is incredibly intimidating like "The Baron" or "The White Death".

With each name, they can choose from a list specifically made for their character by the GM for abilities such as "ask for air support" or "enhance a weapon for 3 turns", or new equipment like a machine gun or grenades. However, you are still vulnerable, so be careful!

What do you guys think? Think it has potential?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: October 24, 2013, 03:22:04 pm »

I want in if you can keep it alive.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: October 24, 2013, 05:28:12 pm »

Great. I think I'll make a test version of it.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: October 24, 2013, 05:45:09 pm »

Dammit, my idea has been bubbling away in my head for a while now and I don't want it to be forever lost in the labyrinth that is my brain, so here goes:
This is a sandbox RTD with multiple different e
Events with premade quests and a perplexicon styled magic system but that's not all.

There are approximately 6 different worlds each with different laws and universal rules, the characters themselves come from one of these, the ones I've thought up are:
Enchanted forest
Cyberpunk oppressive polluted earth
Magical medieval times
The white world
And the caves, just caves
While the NPC's in these worlds are bound to the universal laws and rules in that particular world, the players are not so one could use magic they gained from medial times in the cyberpunk world and all that
It's still based on a normal d6 and the normal happens on the rolls, you know 1 is fail 2 is pretty much fail 3 is nearly succeed 4 is so close yhadda yhadda yhadda you now how this goes right? Right.

All the worlds outside of the premise quests (which give cool loot) are completely free roaming with the biliary to create THEIR OWN KINGDOMS, Cults! Franchises and so much more!
The problem for me is that although the idea is completed in my mind, i am the sort of person who unless told, cannot continue on with these kind of things, there's so much I've thought of but too much for me to continue on with it.

So far the best I've got is about half the perplexicon words and the basics down, so I'm gonna need some help with the other things.

Speaking of, if anyone gets an idea for anything that a sandbox game could benefit from, please tell me, I mightn't have thought of it yet.

There, all done
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: October 24, 2013, 07:52:09 pm »

So I took some of the suggestions people gave me for my Suggest to Dodge the Mafia game and I came up with this very basic OP. Can people give feedback? Also, which section of the forum should I post this in?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 661