Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 729750 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I kind of want to flesh out a system based on an idea I had for a combat-based RtD, working title of Escape the Cosmic Horror Chamber.

The idea is, you have six players, each one gets a role in the game:
1. The Player
The player is the unlucky soul who must slog through the challenges presented by the Cosmic Horror Chamber. They're locked to "mostly human" in character creation, although their abilities do not have to be. Basically, the player cannot start off as a common dachshund, an octopus professor, or anything of the like, but they can be a half-man half-bear firebreather, or Joe, IT guy for Intellicorp. This does not mean the player will not be able to become any of these things through progression. They do this:

Spoiler: Player Sheet (click to show/hide)

Next is the Mother Atrocity. This player does not directly play the game, but keeps a bank of 18 monsters for the character to fight at any time. These monsters are given a name, their appearance is given, then their abilities and general intelligence level. Anything from civilization-smart bloodsucking micro-bat swarms with blade-sharp wings to a common daschund with limited immortality and fire-breathing.

The first list of 18 is given by PM, and then any time a monster is slain, a new (must be different than the original, but on the original list there may be up to three of the same kind of monster on the list) one takes it's place on the list (again with PM). Each turn, a d20 is rolled to see what monster inhabits the area- on a 19 or 20, no monster is around.

The third player is the Lootsmith. Most rooms will contain some form of loot for the player- a treasure box or like item to open and find the treasure inside.

The Lootsmith does what the Mother Atrocity does, but in a different way. The same d20 is used, but with a few variations:
On the list, items 1-4 are bad items that hurt the player in some way- a sword that painfully welds itself to the player's hand, a staff that can't hit monsters and instead bounce off and smack the player, etc, 5-8 are bad items that, while not directly harmful, aren't good either. A staff that breaks as soon as it hits something, a really tiny sword, a lint roller... that kind of thing. 9-18 are good loot items that have some beneficial effect- net benefit, at least. A cloak that blocks magic attacks or a giant warhammer that lowers Dex but increases Str greatly. 19 is a special loot set that includes three or more items of a "set", all of which are good but not always sensical: such as the "Delicious" set that has "Hot Dog Costume (+2 all stats) + Condiment Bottle Boots (rerolls failed Dex) + The Tenderizer (Warhammer that does extra damage against flesh.) The player will not know what grade their loot is unless they roll a 19. 20 is no loot. The Lootsmith may detail weapons as much or as little as they please, but the GM will fill in where they don't.

Fourth is the Cosmos Architect. This player designs 20 rooms, such as "long hallway Steampunk-style, tubes and gears everywhere, constant Dex checks" or "Wide, expansive village, filled with villagers of various disposition, Int check for thieves"

Each room must have at least that much description, and various checks must be made, with one exception. Room #20 should make no checks on the player, and contain something useful. Other rooms may contain useful items, but Room 20 will have no checks to obtain said item. For instance, say room 2 had a useful item. It would look like this:
"10x10x10 cubic room with various benches holding a wide variety of exotic potted plants. Willpower check vs plant pollen, Int check for safely edible berry that cures poison"
Not every room should have an item, but there's no structure to this one.

Next up is the Destiny Weaver. The Destiny Weaver chooses five numbers on a d20 to have events, such as "A local gifts the player with a useful weapon" or "A malicious entity attacks the player's mind". These should be vauge in detail, as the most important thing here is the action. The events that the Destiny Weaver creates are influenced by the other Cosmic players, such as:
Cosmos Architect: 12: A long hallway underwater. Cramped with various dials, controls, beds, and portholes outlooking the sea. (Submarine.)
Destiny Weaver: 16: A catastrophic problem will arise.

The hull breaks in places and water rushes in quickly! You'll have to reach the exit, ASAP. Unfortunately...
Mother Atrocity: 1: A small but muscular spider-like beast, with blade-sharp legs. Very smart, very aggressive.

A large spider stands in your way! It's legs oddly shine as it crawls along the walls, avoiding the flood of water! It looks like it's going to attack...

---

The Destiny Weaver's abilities don't always activate, but when they do, they can change the scene entirely. Once one comes up, the Destiny Weaver can add a new event to any un-taken number or use the same one, but the event and number can't be the same. (the same event on a different number is fine.)

Lastly, there is the Madman. The Madman gives a list of 20 "edits" to the game, and his power overrides all but the Destiny Weaver. He can directly change the results of the other Cosmic players, but not completely, for instance:

Madman: "Change the current monster to be three times the size of the player." (12)
Mother Atrocity: Small, wingless birds with knife-like beaks. A sizeable group of them. Fairly unintelligent, not angry unless provoked.

The result? Big, wingless birds three times the size of the player... and they're hungry. The player looks like food to them. Giant knife beak attacks.

If the Madman's effect wouldn't change the current result in any way, his roll is rerolled. The Madman must replace his effects like any other player. He can make such changes to the Mother Atrocity, Lootsmith, and Cosmos Architect.

The Player is not allowed to commune in any way with the Cosmos players. The Player may make actions such as ask for guidance (Openness roll), but the Cosmos players are not allowed to respond in PM or on the thread. The Cosmos players may communicate with one another, but only in an OOC thread or PMs, as it could easily clog the game up. The Cosmos players and The Player may chat about anything other than the game, or laugh about events in the game, just so long as lists aren't handed out and the like. The Player may give suggestions to the Cosmos Players in-character but they do not have to heed those suggestions, as The Player leads a sad existence controlled by cosmic horrors. Basically, the player should be blind to what could happen until it does.

So yeah, if a 10-story tall bear tries to spawn in a 5x5 room and the player is met with a cube of super compacted gore and bone then has to slog through that, or other comedic happenings, you know, happen, they players can freely chat about that so long as The Player doesn't know about the other possibilities until they happen. Things aren't on the list (such as "I was thinking of adding something like this") can be posted but should be spoilered so that The Player knows that they may or may not be ruining a potential surprise. A player that breaks this rule will have their list emptied, and any other unemployed Cosmic Horror may try for their job.

Would anyone be interested in this madness? Each player can post for the spot they want, but do tell me exactly what you'd take. If both you and someone else want a spot, and you're OK with a few spots and the other guy only wants the one, he'd get it, but if you want that spot but would be OK with a few others, and he wants the spot but is also OK with another (unfilled) spot, he'd get the unfilled one. Basically, when/if the thread comes up, post in order what you'd like to be, and don't include things you don't want to be, and the GM will find you one of those spots. Probably. If two people want the exact same spot and only that spot it will be first-come first-serve and the second guy just won't get in.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:03:16 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

I'd like the madman.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile

This looks cool. I'd happily take any slot.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

So, even before catching up with the last couple of pages of this, I was quite tempted by an idea much like the below. I am more inspired by this than by previous ideas I may have posted here in the last eight months. Sorry for the large non-spoilered post.

A Generic Non-minimalist Fantasy Medieval RTD

An ancient prophecy! Heroes of legend! Evil hordes of darkness! Ancient artefacts! Dragons! Piles of gold!

Roll to Dungeon Quest – The Search for the Magical Mandolin of Lumithos

"'Tis is a time of strife..." intones the magnificently bearded man standing tall before you. "But then you knew that. That's why you're here, I imagine – driven from your worthless villages by the neverending chaos and violence spreading throughout Lumithea..."

"Crikey!" mutters one of the ten would-be adventurers standing before the blue-eyed wizard. "He must be at least level-"

"Silence! Insolence! Contumelious braggart! I'll... I'll!"

The wizard regains control of himself, wiping a few small flecks of foam from around his mouth.

"Neverending! Ha! Pfaw! Those of learning, we know that there is no such thing. For there is an ancient prophecy: that what was once shall once more be; hordes of darkness sweeping the land and the ancient music-maker Octavius, creating the Magical Mandolin..."

He strokes his thoughtful beard a second, as if rapt in reminiscence. It occurs to more than one of you that he seems without age.

"Yea; the Magical Mandolin of Lumithos, the First God, played from the greatest height of Mount Davidius, created such harmony that the balance of the world was set aright; the powers of the forces of Good were redoubled and, indeed, Magic as we know it was born. All that has to be done then, preaches the ancient prophecy, is for the Magical Mandolin to be rebuilt; the Joyful Heights of Davidius to be rescaled; and the Holy Note of Harmony to be replayed!"

"So why don't you just reb-"

"All... I was being facetious. The Magical Mandolin of Lumithos was, it is rumoured and indeed evident, cast down from its place of Eternal Vibration: and there, split into three and thrust into another plane, a plane so terrif-"

"So why don't you just g-"

"Well... I am, unfortunately for my chance of everlasting legendary glory, indispensable for the protection of our lord, His Majesty Seth Aurelius VI and then, of course, even more pertinently, there is the prophecy. It calls for heroes of legend. Heroes. Zzzzzzz. Plural."

"Does this prophecy say anything about piles of g-"

"Enormous piles. Piles the likes of which you have never even imagined. Adoring women. Or, you know, men. Whichever. Both. And rivers of ale. Minstrels. Yes: you could be heroes. You don't look like much right now, I admit, but you could be heroes. And if you get to the other side and are struck down before nightfall, well, at least you would have been a hero for one day. Instead of dying in snivelling impotency back in your filth-drenched hovel as a legion of twisted goblins abuses and destroys all that was dear to you before your sucked-out and wizening eyes... Anyway..."

He points to a flickering oval, about the height of a man, at the end of his long chambers. It must be at least a hundred feet away from the ten of you, probably even two turn's run away.

"So... Fancy it? There is the plane-gate. I cannot hold it open for long; it is born of my mind and weakens me the more it is used. Whether by speed, skill, cunning, or brute force, five of you will get through that gate before the other five. And those first five will be heroes. And if you live, you will be heroes of legend. The Bearers of the Magical Mandolin of Lumithos. Saviours of civilisation."

He turns away from you and dismissively clicks his fingers over his shoulder.

"Off you go now..."

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Any interest?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd give it a shot.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

I call Loot or Monster Generator. Apply correct terms as required.

Also HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY ROLLER'S BLOCK

Ninja: Lawas I'll read that later.

Double Ninja: DAMNIT DERM
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY)
« Reply #6426 on: April 14, 2013, 04:34:39 pm »

I'm still first and five thousandth mate!

Wait what.

I WROTE THIS BEFORE YOU CHANGED IT PUT IT BACK ;.;

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: April 14, 2013, 04:35:11 pm »

YES
I've been hoping for one ever since Ye Olde RTD died.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: April 14, 2013, 04:52:28 pm »

"Contumelious braggart!"
This gets my seal of approval already.

"Instead of dying in snivelling impotency back in your filth-drenched hovel as a legion of twisted goblins abuses and destroys all that was dear to you before your sucked-out and wizening eyes..."
Also good.

It must be at least a hundred feet away from the ten of you, probably even two turn's run away.
This made me laugh for some reason.

...wait, you can have a 0 word class? This intrigues me, but I can't imagine I'd be willing to give up two words to find out what that does.

Class: 0-2 words (you can add an extra word every three levels if you want!)
YES. This sounds amazing.

Overall sounds like a solid concept. The only problem is that I've never read Bowienauts of Freedom and thus can't really comment on any proposed similarities.

Except that I hope this is ever so slightly more serious than Bowienauts, because I've read enough to know what madness lies in the mind of lawas.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: April 14, 2013, 05:07:53 pm »

I would like to be the unfortunate player in the cosmic horrors game.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: April 14, 2013, 05:21:33 pm »

Ooh. I like the sound of Lawas' game and am coming up with some sort of character for it now. :D
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

What does 1st and 5000th mean?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile

What does 1st and 5000th mean?
1st post and 500th post.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I'll be posting the game today or tomorrow, those who have pre-inned are noted!
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone have experience with using ASCII maps? Adwarf and I are going to be co-GMing a hilarious yet lethal RTD. Over long-term use, has it proven easier to use BBcode-based ASCII maps like these:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or graphical maps like these?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not sure which would be more difficult or time consuming to create, color, update and provide a legend for each turn.
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 661