Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 729197 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Okay then. So... well, I had the player statsheets decided, the ship systems decided... the whales are going to be a sort of a cat in the bag. A few things left to decide then.

So, short rundown of the ship operations.

The ship is roughly split into six component sections. Fore/Aft, Port/Starboard, Dorsal/Ventral.
Each section is sort of layered.
Top layer is the hull. This is what takes the first damage, should the ship be attacked.
Right under that - or on that, rather - are weapons. A sufficiently good hit can take a weapon off.
Further below are Systems. Each section has its own. In order of importance, they are Control, Propulsion, Sensors, Comms, Processing, Storage. By location, Fore is Processing, Aft is Propulsion, Port is Comms, Starboard is Sensors, Dorsal is Control, Ventral is Storage. A little like a submarine.
Underneath it all is Structure, one for each. It's the network of endosteel beams and corridors that actually holds stuff together, so damage to this is kinda bad.

Each system has a value, which doubles as both its health and effectiveness, following Progressive rules. Generally, if something is damaged, anything short of a Perfect Success will degrade the value. On an Epic Fail or an Overshot, a lower system can also take damage.

Here's what the system values do, besides resisting damage:
Control: This is your AI Navigator/Engineer/Gunner. A better AI will better react to things players can't be assed to react to.
Propulsion: How fast and powerful your ship is, for running after/away from whales and the occasional breaking free of grabby tentacles.
Sensors: Detect whales at range. The value is simultaneously responsible for the maximum danger rating you can detect, and the accuracy of the detection of said rating.
Comms: Useful for whenever you're stuck in space with a torn-off engine or need to call for help against a particularly nasty whale. Higher rolls bring better help.
Processing: Processes whale meat. Higher values lessen the chance of meat quality degrading while being processed, and may yield higher quality product than the raw material.
Storage: Multiplied by 100, how much whale meat you can store. Simple as that.

Weapons are a different thing, and I'll spend some time thinking about them - both ship weapons, and crew weapons, because if I don't include the ability to grab a harpoon and jump out at the eldritch sushi deposits, people here might revolt. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heh, I'm trying to create space monsters using the Metamorphica proper.

This one is a Danger Rating 2.

A fairly large creature with grey stony skin hiding around a small rocky moon. It seems to dissolve into nothing when defeated, but returns shortly afterwards, unharmed. Very strong for its size, attacks with a long and toothy prehensile tongue. Ships attacked by it are usually left devoid of living crew, as if it kidnaps survivors.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Hahaha oh crap he's rolling on the superpowers chart.

If he rolls just straight up invulnerability we are screwed.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile

I will see your invulnerability and raise you a kryptonite harpoon
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

I will see your invulnerability and raise you a kryptonite harpoon
Yep

How many Moby Dick references will there be?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am willing to bet at least one person will name their character Ishmael.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I am willing to bet at least one person will name their character Ishmael.

I would probably go with Stubb as a name, myself. Or make a straight-up Queequeg expy.

Ooh, Daggoo would also make a good name.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:42:24 am by Harry Baldman »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mobius Deex?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If there's a giant sentient albino whale that turns itself inside out, I'll name it that. ^_^

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

^ This is a thing that can happen. I have confirmed it.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Metamorphica is awesome. ^_^

Though it does have everything arrayed by alphabet, within the types.

388 - Ultravision
389 - Uncontrollable Flatulence

...o_O

I'll also make a point to avoid colorful attack descriptions using point 400. Or maybe not...

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh goddamn roll 400.

Pffffft we're all screwed if he rolls that.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

That should be okay, long as it doesn't make people fall in love with it.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Theres a mutation for that.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Wait is it actually starting?
DAMN YOU SLEEP.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 661