Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727094 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Just as a note, I have systems in place for all of those things. They might take some time to attach to RTD mechanics, and some other foci might need to be added, but they might serve as a good starting point.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to HERP
« Reply #5971 on: January 29, 2013, 04:38:22 pm »

-snip- Emergency! But In Australia And Crazy -snip-

This sounds pretty good, and I'd totally play it.

-snip- KSP RTD -snip-

But this one made me squee, particularly since my computer can no longer handle KSP. If I had more time I'd dive right into trying to come up with some mechanics for it, but since I'll be going to work soon I'll just throw out a couple ideas that immediately sprang to mind.

Experienced Pilots- As pilots complete missions, they gain experience which makes them better at some of the aspects of piloting a giant rocket (atmosphere flight/maneuvering, orbital flight/maneuvering, mechanical repair, etc.) The idea being that there should be some reason to incorporate safety features, amusing as it might be to wantonly slaughter hordes of Kerbals.

Mission Mechanics- Right off the bat, if I were doing this I'd have crew actions and design rolls be the standard 1d6 you've got there, but have "does the command capsule separate properly" type rolls be 2d6- this allows you to be more generous with bonuses, and also introduces a deviation curve that may allow design flaws to persist unnoticed for quite some time.

Research- Definitely something I want, not sure if there's a satisfying way to do it. To explain, in my mind Research is a way to get more money for each flight (as scientific institutions pay you money to conduct orbital research) and also a way to unlock special materials and/or new components for better performance and more options. Still very tenuous on that one, since if it makes it in it can't undercut the core design mechanic.

Ohh, so many ideas buzzing around my head for this now. I'll be back.

Research could also work as a limited bonus: if you do research on thrusters, your next propulsion system has a 1/2 chance of getting a +1. Still blindly. So there's an OK chance of doing something good. It's madness!
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Okay, so, in order to figure out what all stats parts need (and what can go wrong with them during flight,) I needed to know what happens and when. The following is a general outline of how a mission might progress. Since the focus of the game is designing and testing parts, the specific organization of the different stages is left to the imagination of the player, or maybe an overall rocket design roll to tie all the parts together.

Spoiler: Missions (click to show/hide)

Most things players will be doing will be either "do stuff to get off your rock," "do stuff while you're off your rock," and "do stuff to get back onto your rock or another rock," so I think the general format will be used with whatever order and repeats need to happen to accommodate the mission plan. Lots of dice to roll, but it shouldn't be too bad since it's pass/fail, and once things go south you need to contact Mission Control anyway to see what they want to do.

How's it look so far? Am I forgetting steps/equipment? Am I just super dumb and should go back to dating pigeons? I'll definitely have to go through this again once I start making up equipment stats, I just figured this would be the best starting point.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This seems pretty good so far. Remember that it may be possible repair some parts, even those outside the craft with some luck. Maybe people will start making spare parts to bring up. Obviously not all of your pilots will have engineering experience, but with guidance from those on the planet, they might have some help. Rolls could be used for that too of course.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Oh crikey.

So I saw this trailer for this film the other day, and naturally a short while later I thought OH GOSH.

A GOOD DAY TO DIE TO ROLL HARDER OR SOMETHING

Basically, the players would be four of the american law enforcement agents to whom this shit ALWAYS HAPPENS, or whatever the line is, and they have to complete simple tasks like go to the store and buy milk.

BUT THIS SHIT ALWAYS HAPPENS TO THEM, and so of course a bunch of INTERNATIONAL TERRORISTS try to foil them.

The terrorists could be played by other players or by suggestion, it could all be anonymised (or not) and the Bruce Willises would win by buying their milk, and the terrorists would win by killing the player they were matched against. The terrorists would have minions and the cops would be able to call the cops. Possibly.

Even more basically, four cops would try to buy milk in New York whilst four international terrorist organisations tried to kill them, probably laughably incompetently and with massive collateral damage.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Yes. Yes. All my yes. I took a loan from the yes bank to convey sufficient yes.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

A GOOD DAY TO DIE TO ROLL HARDER OR SOMETHING

Yes.

I haven't decided yet how much this is a silly throw-away idea or how much it would actually be awesome and I should totally do it. It would require a bit of thought and I have another non-throw-away idea that I am working on, so.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

@ Monk: That's one whole lot of rolls, actually.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was recently thinking about a magic-heavy RTD in which the players are fledgling magic users who if caught will be hunted as witches/sorcerers/evil magic users ect.  Regardless of the type of magic they can do, even the 'light' mages would be hunted and put to the torch if caught.

As well I'd be doing it more as a forum game in that I won't tell any of the players what they roll for any given event or action, so that they never really know if their spell or enchantment is going to work as intended or just blow up in their face at some future point.

For long term goals/story progress I was planning on having other mages emerge within the populace who actively embody what the people fear, evil wizards who set about to kill and cause destruction or enslave the world.  On the other hand if the players took that route themselves then it'd be only natural for enemies to rise against them who have similar powers.

Any ideas on this anyone?  Is it a topic that has been done so much as to be run into the ground?
Nom nom nom

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Is expect around half of the players to be outright evil, but I'd play.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Me too.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well that is a good idea... I mean if players were actively working against each other... hummm that could work nicely.
Nom nom nom

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I was recently thinking about a magic-heavy RTD in which the players are fledgling magic users who if caught will be hunted as witches/sorcerers/evil magic users ect.  Regardless of the type of magic they can do, even the 'light' mages would be hunted and put to the torch if caught.

As well I'd be doing it more as a forum game in that I won't tell any of the players what they roll for any given event or action, so that they never really know if their spell or enchantment is going to work as intended or just blow up in their face at some future point.

For long term goals/story progress I was planning on having other mages emerge within the populace who actively embody what the people fear, evil wizards who set about to kill and cause destruction or enslave the world.  On the other hand if the players took that route themselves then it'd be only natural for enemies to rise against them who have similar powers.

Any ideas on this anyone?  Is it a topic that has been done so much as to be run into the ground?

It would have to have an interesting magic system. One of the systems I prefer is an element system - a magic user chooses one thing, and this thing is then a necessary component in any spell they cast. And you could add a layer on top of that - the narrower the element, the more powerful the magic. So you could be a Mage of Fire, which would sorta work, but you could also be the Mage of Spontaneous Nose Explosions, which would work gruesomely most of the time due to the narrowness of its definition. But maybe I'm suggesting it merely because I love silly gimmicks.

You could also try modular magic like Perplexicon, where you make a set of words that you can combine in many different ways to produce amusing effects. Though that's more difficult and requires a lot more thought than the first idea.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah I was definitely thinking along  the lines of a sphere/element system.  Say you could be an earth mage, but your specialty lies in rock/magma/dirt/plant ect.  So that your core spells revolve around one aspect of the larger sphere.  Though you still have access to weaker versions of the overall sphere, and with training possibly some basic spells from connected spheres.  Like say, you are an earth mage specializing in rock, you could bleed over into magma which would afford you some knowledge of the fire sphere, as long as it's related to molten rock.
Nom nom nom

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

-snip-
Yeah, I'd probably play in something like that.

Yeah I was definitely thinking along  the lines of a sphere/element system.  Say you could be an earth mage, but your specialty lies in rock/magma/dirt/plant ect.  So that your core spells revolve around one aspect of the larger sphere.  Though you still have access to weaker versions of the overall sphere, and with training possibly some basic spells from connected spheres.  Like say, you are an earth mage specializing in rock, you could bleed over into magma which would afford you some knowledge of the fire sphere, as long as it's related to molten rock.
Do you think it would work with the concept to have different mages using different methods to cast spells? There was one game in the main FG&RP section where a mage could either cast spells by writing runes or using martial arts or swords or capes. It could have been potentially really cool, but he made it into a "You are..." and combined the top suggestions for elements and casting methods to make a rune writer who cast air spells, which no one was happy with. But I think the concept would work rather well in a game where everyone got to make their own character.

In unrelated news, I came up with a cool idea for a magic system, which probably wouldn't work for this but would be its own thing, based on what I likely misunderstand of the Australian Aboriginal concept of Dreamtime.

So the way this works is, magic is a Gift, in a literal sense. Anyone who has magic has one or several powers or spells that they can freely give to whoever they please or trade it if they want. It's almost like a metaphysical item that can only exist in human (or demihuman, if they exist in the setting) bodies, needing close proximity to jump between bodies in an exchange. The one passing on a Gift doesn't even have to be alive to give it; if they will it to someone, that person can just stand near their remains for the exchange to happen.

Maybe there might be a way store a Gift outside of a body, probably only used for non-barter trade, since in that case anyone who has the thing that holds the power can just take it without its former owner's permission. It's much safer and easier, otherwise, to just transfer a Gift to a person, because thieves can't take gifts from bodies, dead or alive (this will be true in at least general sense, though probably not in an absolute one; there probably would be at least one thief in the world who is so skilled their craft that they can steal Gifts, but this would be a unique exception to the rule). Now I'm thinking professional merchants would need to either use these Gift storing items or hire people as holding bodies, as there would be a limit to how many Gifts one person can hold; either because so much power would be overwhelming or several gifts would come with certain taboos and restrictions attached to then that couldn't be followed simultaneously.

Now the reason these are called Gifts is that they were originally given to people by various powerful beings. So, for example, in the time before time, someone's great great great ect. grandfather helped some sort of spider spirit/god and she, in gratitude, gave him the Gifts of wall-climbing and talking to spiders. Then, somewhere down the line, another one of his ancestors catches and spares a magical fish and is given the Gift of water-breathing. And so, eventually, this great great great ect. grandson of these guys has kids, and, on his deathbed, he bequeaths the Gift of talking to spiders to his eldest, spider-climbing to the middle child, and water-breathing to the youngest, because they live in a desert now and youngest aren't supposed to get inherit anything that seems immediately useful.

And different families might have more or less Gifts available to them depending on how often they've come into contact with magic spirit animals. The Gifts given might also be more or less useful than these, depending on where they come from: there are some sprites that will give you the Gift to jump just a little bit higher if you just say hello to them; these make up the bulk of traded gifts. There are also some gifts that can either only be used a certain number of times before they're used up or ones that can only be used something like once a year or more.

I think this would be a pretty neat system, though I am worried about what would keep players from willing their powers to each other. I had considered the idea that only the first players would be given Gifts to start with, which seems unfair to later players. Alternatively, players might either start out with no Gift and have to obtain them in game, or they might have to roll on a chart to find out what gift, if any, they get. I'm not too happy with either of those ideas, but they're the best I can come up with right now.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 661