Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727535 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

and stickmen won't suffice....
Is this how you feel, or how you think others will feel?

Because if it's the latter, then why do people play ASCII Dwarf Fortress?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

and stickmen won't suffice....
Is this how you feel, or how you think others will feel?

Because if it's the latter, then why do people play ASCII Dwarf Fortress?

It's the first. Imo i know that creating as much as single capital P means a thousand words to a DF player. But no worries, im honing my skills now.
Durrr..

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear

Has anyone ever done an RTD with the following genre mashup before:

Medieval Zombie Apocalypse
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Roll to Army of Darkness?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

What time is it?

ADVENTURE TIME!

Part of me says this would make an excellent RTD, another (much larger) part of me says I lack the skill to pull it off.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear

Roll to Army of Darkness?

lol kinda.

Although with no magical cause.

I'm thinking all the starting characters would be from the same village in ~11th Century.
That would keep things simple, no complicated social class or proffesion systems to balance.

But I'm not sure what the plot would be. Villagers + zombies is insanely open ended.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has anyone ever done an RTD with the following genre mashup before:

Yes. Can't point to specific threads though but i remember a few popping up and dying quite quickly.
Durrr..

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

What time is it?

ADVENTURE TIME!

Please elaborate?

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear

Here's my very very roughted out rules/setup concept. May be missing bits, but it's like 4:40am and I have insomnia.

To be dangeriously Genere savy for this game you might want to read The Zombie Survival Guide, the US Army field survival manual, and watch 1066 : The Battle for Middle Earth. a rather nice BBC docu-drama.

Imagine a zombie plauge taking place in DF Adventure Mode.

Fantasy elements may be included, but don't expect D&D fireball slinging.
Nor on the other hand sadly am I enough of a scholar to promise complete historical accuracy, however expect fiction tropes old and new to be averted where possible.

Characters:

All starting characters live in the same small village. You all live lives of physical labor. And basic miltary training for all able bodied males is required by the king. You're probably better off to face the undead than an average group of modern Americans. Aside from lacking guns.

Name
Brief Backstory

Proffession:

Leach (+1 to attempts to treat wounds)
Hunter (+1 Stealth)
Farmhand
something
somethingesle

Equipment:

Like any normal ancient (or modern) person you'll have your knife.

Various weapons, from the trainers the young men practice with, a few real military weapons. And the vast number of agricultural impliments that work as weapons from hand axes to threshing flails. And every weapon man in training has his shield. A weapon in it's own right as much as a protection.

Armor? Little more than clothing, helmet if you're lucky. Armor is expensive. Farmhands are cheap.

If you live long enough you will undoudably aquire better gear.

Stats:

You have 3 points to spend on stats. Every point gives you a +1 to relevant rolls.

Strength
Dexterity
Stamina (ability to sustain action)
Inteligence (May influence situational bonuses or present addtional info)
Willpower (Ability to persevere despite injury, dispair or terror)

Rolls:

Generally higher is better. There is no evil Pyric 6. Nor will you sponteously combust on a 1.
Rolling low will still generally be bad. e.g. You attack sloppily and the enemy might get an attack of opertunity.

Rolls generally have to be > another roll to succeed. eg Your attack vs their dodge. Zombie hoarde intimidation vs your Will.
Rolls with no animate antagonist will be against Luck represented by 1d6

Health:

Bodyparts have general states.

Good,
OK, -1 to relevant rolls
Injured, -2 to relvant rolls
Unusable,
Missing.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:42:03 am by Joben »

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's my very very roughted out rules/setup concept. May be missing bits, but it's like 4:40am and I have insomnia.

To be dangeriously Genere savy for this game you might want to read The Zombie Survival Guide, the US Army field survival manual, and watch 1066 : The Battle for Middle Earth. a rather nice BBC docu-drama.

Imagine a zombie plauge taking place in DF Adventure Mode.

Fantasy elements may be included, but don't expect D&D fireball slinging.
Nor on the other hand sadly am I enough of a scholar to promise complete historical accuracy, however expect fiction tropes old and new to be averted where possible.

Characters:

All starting characters live in the same small village. You all live lives of physical labor. And basic miltary training for all able bodied males is required by the king. You're probably better off to face the undead than an average group of modern Americans. Aside from lacking guns.

Name
Brief Backstory

Proffession:

Leach (+1 to attempts to treat wounds)
Hunter (+1 Stealth)
Farmhand
something
somethingesle

Equipment:

Like any normal ancient (or modern) person you'll have your knife.

Various weapons, from the trainers the young men practice with, a few real military weapons. And the vast number of agricultural impliments that work as weapons from hand axes to threshing flails. And every weapon man in training has his shield. A weapon in it's own right as much as a protection.

Armor? Little more than clothing, helmet if you're lucky. Armor is expensive. Farmhands are cheap.

If you live long enough you will undoudably aquire better gear.

Stats:

You have 3 points to spend on stats. Every point gives you a +1 to relevant rolls.

Strength
Dexterity
Stamina (ability to sustain action)
Inteligence (May influence situational bonuses or present addtional info)
Willpower (Ability to persevere despite injury, dispair or terror)

Rolls:

Generally higher is better. There is no evil Pyric 6. Nor will you sponteously combust on a 1.
Rolling low will still generally be bad. e.g. You attack sloppily and the enemy might get an attack of opertunity.

Rolls generally have to be > another roll to succeed. eg Your attack vs their dodge. Zombie hoarde intimidation vs your Will.
Rolls with no animate antagonist will be against Luck represented by 1d6

Health:

Bodyparts have general states.

Good,
OK, -1 to relevant rolls
Injured, -2 to relvant rolls
Unusable,
Missing.

The idea is great and no doubt that players will join it but you have to be sure that you want to do it. Cause i've seen more than often on a dozen or so RTD forums that GM's run out of Story juice, which results in death of the RTD at turn 7-10 sometimes even earlier.  Also before you write the story, try not to create the usual Disease spread zombies.

Durrr..

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear

Yes a plot is a major problem. I've noticed dumping starting players in a sandbox doesn't go well.

The problem with NON disease zombies is it sorta implies vodoo or necromancers which I really dont want. For one thing it's not any less cliche, and it requires Card Carrying Villians that want to watch the world burn for the lulz...well probably.

I might be able to invoke some form of OurZombiesAreDifferent

I kinda like the parasite variant. It would present an interesting twist if everyone behaving zombie'ish had a bug clamped to their neck or something. Possibly even moral dilemma if they might be saved.

Short range goals might be things like clear a nearby town violently, or save enough inhabitants that they can start to fix it themselves.

Long term goal would be where the hell are the bugs coming from?

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A sandbox RTD isn't bad, as long as you provide sufficient quests and/or a main quest which can advance the RTD into new events.
Durrr..

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile

I think that if you want to do a sandbox, you should have a functional world to use for that. Some locations, some important persons and probably a main quest that people might gently nudge the party into. You don't need an extensively detailed setting - just a few notes about the core points. Maybe a page, or two at max. You can flesh it out when the party gets to that part, and maybe add on a few more interesting points, characters and so on.

That's my style of going at it, anyway. Even the characters and places I started with are constantly in change because of how my players behave. Just make sure you have a core that doesn't get compromised.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Yeah, the big thing with sandboxes is that you need a lot of interesting stuff IN the sandbox for it to be entertaining. It needs enough structure to have something to play with, while still being open-ended.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

You're Going to Make a Future Town but You Forgot Your Supplies In Your Other Hardsuit

---

Or A Shorter Suitable Title

---

You and four to five other players get the fun time of managing a clanship- Six clans, one village.
Your clan starts out with two members, a meager amount of supplies, and a single hardsuit.

Hardsuits are used for intensive labour, combat, and other things that humans can do but slightly-larger-than-human-mecha can do better.
There are three starting hardsuits:
The Chub: A somewhat stubby but large hardsuit commonly used for labor. It can be outfitted for a wide variety of tasks but is unsiuted for combat.
The Wendigo: A suit built for all situations on and off the battlefield. It has large powerful legs for movement and plenty ability to carry tools.
The Sumo: A Chub built for combat applications. It comes with automatic combat drones but can still be outfitted to take on jobs.
---
Labor frame kits can be ordered in the following professions:
Mining: Comes with standard mining apparatus.
Construction: Gives useful tools for construction.
Combat: Useful standard weapons for combat.

---
Cities need three things to stay functioning: food, atmosphere, and people.
You start with a dome capable of keeping your atmosphere running and holding 6 buildings (total 60 people), small amounts of food, a campsite and enough materials for maybe two buildings. Clans must coexist to survive at first but may branch off later.

Clans need a name, a matriarch, and a patriarch.

---
Each clan can take an action per turn:
Farming: The clan has their workers tend a farm they own to provide food.
Maintenance: Fixes damaged buildings. Needs a small amount of resources.
Scavenge: Returns a small amount of scrap.
Rest: The clan as a whole does nothing not required of them.

With a hardsuit, someone can:
Mine, gathering resources.
Build, making a new building
Fight, to get rid of enemies
Scout, to chance the outside and uncover more of the planet (cause random event)

------
When the city reaches 120 people, the Clans shall split and make 6 townships, and immigration will begin. working together is one tactic, but the biggest clan will be the ruler of the new world.

-----------------------
This game is all about switching things up- Clans work together only to split up and fight before endgame. All in all this is barely fleshed out at all.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 661