Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727264 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Dermonster-First and Five Thousandth)
« Reply #5265 on: September 27, 2012, 01:17:54 pm »

I like the idea of an exploration flash, but the only problem with it is Bradley has a HUGE advantage over all the other characters in that not only is he small (smaller hitbox) but he can also fly, so navigating would be easy for him. (Probably why it's Zach in the example instead. XD) Also, if you move Zach too far to the right, he vanishes. >.>

@Ninja Darvi: Yep.
@Ninja FFS: Ah, OK.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Dermonster-First and Five Thousandth)
« Reply #5266 on: September 27, 2012, 02:00:35 pm »

Just butting in here, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take over the two RTDs that I dropped a while ago. I'm not sure if it's been too long, but I don't really care if nobody wants to. It would just be a chance to keep something going, or, in the case of one, start it up.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: September 27, 2012, 02:25:45 pm »

Oh, ffs
We should really stop using that acronym, it just confuses me what we even mean by saying it.
I like saying it aloud. It's like 'pfffft' and trying to stifle laughter at the same time.

Pretty much

I like the idea of an exploration flash, but the only problem with it is Bradley has a HUGE advantage over all the other characters in that not only is he small (smaller hitbox) but he can also fly, so navigating would be easy for him. (Probably why it's Zach in the example instead. XD) Also, if you move Zach too far to the right, he vanishes. >.>

I was thinking that'd be the point- everybody gets to play around as Bradley while he goes off exploring places nobody else can reach.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: September 27, 2012, 02:30:31 pm »

It would also be an easy set-up for each flash: something terrifies Bradley, and he runs off to go find a place to hide - incidentally, he also explores the whole area. XD
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: September 27, 2012, 03:04:52 pm »

@Ninja Darvi: Yep.
@Ninja FFS: Ah, OK.

Spoiler: MKW mechanical Derail (click to show/hide)

It would also be an easy set-up for each flash: something terrifies Bradley, and he runs off to go find a place to hide - incidentally, he also explores the whole area. XD

Hehe, that's actually a pretty decent idea.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: September 27, 2012, 03:22:09 pm »

Bradley: Can float up and down to avoid hazards, can go through small spaces. Can't float as high off the ground as other characters can jump. This would be mad tricky to program, though. :P Alternately, I could give him full mobility but keep him blocked off from places/things that are mad scary.

That would work perfectly, actually. Just put like... a mouse, or a spider, an evil-looking mask (like... Phanto, I think its name is? From SMB2 anyway), or just something generically scary anyway in front of places you don't want Bradley to go and then have him automatically run away if he gets too close.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: September 27, 2012, 04:22:00 pm »

I'm tempted to try and run a mecha-theme gladiator game.

To even try a gladiator game with my track record while school is active is a horrible, horrible idea, but I can hopefully alleviate this with simple mechanics and no drive to update more than twice a week:

Mecha can be anything, there are three presets but for core factors they are all the same. Now then, there are three kinds of builds, all of the presets are midweight.
Lightweight mecha have little HP and can carry only one offense system, but have the benifit of a dodge save: a 1/3 chance to dodge one would-be successful killing blow.
Medium weights have average HP, can carry two offense systems, and gain no real benifits other than versatility.
Heavyweights have more HP and can carry 4 offense systems, and get an extra system slot.

Any mecha can have 4(heavies have 5) systems. A system is one of the following:
An Offense system, which is anything to be used as a weapon to cause damage.
A Defense system, such as better armor, shields, etc.
A Movement system, which allows counterattacks and dodges (low activation chances though.)
An Automatic Action system, such as flares, smokescreens, things that go off when triggered (missiles set off flares, etc)
A Direct Fire Missile, which gives single-use missiles to use as an attack.

The presets (if you don't feel like naming and describing your own mechs:)
Sakata "Superdome"
"A mecha known for it's versatility on and off the battlefield. A third-generation Sakata build, it's only begun to fall out of use in armed forces despite it's age."
MRX "Rock Lobster"
"A mecha built for amphibious assault. It's core contains it's sensors instead of having a "head", and has a built-in stabilizing fin that gives it a lobster-like look. Can be made to work in adverse terrain with slight modifications. A MRX fourth generation often used by search-and-rescue teams as well as combat engineers."
Echelon "Witch Hunter"
"A mecha built from the ground up as a sniper platform. It dosen't have the weight of other snipers and stays bipedal, and offers stability other bipeds cannot match. It's a current(5th) generation mecha by Echelon."

Now then, I might not -ever- run that. Feel free to do whatever with the expressed ideas, but I probably won't.

The other idea was another mecha game- a racing mecha game.

Tracks are varied, and the system is basically the same:
Mecha here have three stats: Speed, Control, and Durability.
(Mecha are divided into classes based on amount of total stat points but that's for later)

The players all start in D Class with either a base mecha or an approved mecha of their description and design.

The base mecha are as follows:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All racers can have 2 systems. Racing systems differ as follows:
Sub Engine - Increases Speed.
Turning Control- Increases Control.
Reinforced Armor - Increases Durability.
Enviroment Adaptation - Allows you to traverse unusual or harmful terrain specific to the system.
Mobility Adaptation - Allows you to access places you couldn't normally specific to the system. May give autosuccesses to certain obstacles
Rocketbox - Allows you to attack another racer ahead of you once per race.
Cup Holder - Allows you to place a drink in your vehicle and have your hands free at the same time. It actually does something, but it's not directly involved in the race.

Terrain changes variably from course to course, such as the first track I laid out:
The Sakata Agriculture Dome (D Class Cup)
This course is a single-lap medium length course. There are four legs to this course.
The first leg is inside on paved track. There is a single shortcut and various obstacles.
The second leg is outside and is a dirt track. There are two paths that reconnect.
The third leg is outside on a dirt track. There are two paths that reconnect.
The fourth leg is outside on dirt track. There are two shortcuts.

I probably will run this using this information and finished systems.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: September 27, 2012, 04:32:37 pm »

You know, Tsuchi, Monk's system (in his and Exkirby's Mario Kart RTDs) seems almost perfect for that outside of the kart stats. The tracks are even built the same way.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5273 on: September 27, 2012, 06:46:25 pm »

I need a better item/shopping system for my RTD Roll to Migrate (link is in my signature). I had absolutely no idea what the hell to do when it came to that, so I've just been winging it so far. Its been going well so far, but I really need help with this. I can give details about the items I want to be available and how I'd like the shop to work, but I need assistance with balancing the price ranges and figuring out if everything they'd need is available. Things like that. Please PM me if you want to give it a shot. :C

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: September 27, 2012, 09:36:39 pm »

I need a better item/shopping system for my RTD Roll to Migrate (link is in my signature). I had absolutely no idea what the hell to do when it came to that, so I've just been winging it so far. Its been going well so far, but I really need help with this. I can give details about the items I want to be available and how I'd like the shop to work, but I need assistance with balancing the price ranges and figuring out if everything they'd need is available. Things like that. Please PM me if you want to give it a shot. :C

Shop systems get hard to balance, but generally I do a base system plus "add ons" that change the shop as required:

The basics, defined as anything a player would need to complete the objective and has no alternatives for, should be fairly cheap and readily available. Better and rarer objects should go in and out of market at generally higher prices, and objects are categorized as such:

0: Basics, always in the shop. Fairly cheap but not the best stuff.
1: Upgrades, which are basic objects that do their job better than the basic but cost more.
2: Functionals: Items an adventurer uses a lot but dosen't necessarily need plus survival gear.
3: Equips: Items that the adventurer will use as armor or as a weapon.
4: Specials: Items that can be useful but are not used very often- in an adventure, things like invisibility potions and blank scrolls.
5: Rarities: Very valuable and rare items that are very pricy but useful in most cases.
6: Other/Overlap: Items that don't fit anywhere else plus more common items from other categories that should show up more often.

Every one to three turns the shops should "update", which is roll for category, roll for change, repeat 2 more times, end.

This means that if you roll a (2,5),(4,1), and (6,2), there will be a greater number of functional items in the shop but specials and anything from the overlaps (I.E, general economy) become less available and/or more expensive.

You can just divy up items under the categories and ignore the "updates" as an organization method that helps with pricing.

Adventurers generally "need" items that will see them through what you throw at them, at a cost. Better items are wise to buy and should be available if everything is going well, but if the players do something stupid or the enemies do something smart then that could prevent them from getting the required upgrades to pass a challenge without problem.

Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: September 28, 2012, 04:18:05 pm »

Hey there! I'm still working on typing up that Fantasy Mecha game I brought up, but I need some advice on how to handle combat. More specifically damage. I'm not sure how to decide how rolls will modify the damage caused, or how to calculate damage when using something other than the equipped weapon to hurt something. I'm actually considering scrapping the system I came up with for that altogether because I'm worried its too overcomplicated to keep track of.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Dermonster-First and Five Thousan
« Reply #5277 on: September 28, 2012, 04:21:36 pm »

If you want to keep it simple, you can use arbitrary damage, analyzing circumstances (weapons, armor, etc) to determinate damage caused and received, maybe using the difference between opposing rolls to do so.

Or you could create a HP system and just use the difference between opposed rolls or something while still making use of common sense and logic.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: September 28, 2012, 04:27:04 pm »

Well I went and started with an RTD d6 with the idea that every weapon would have a base damage that would be multiplied or divided depending on the rolls, but then I realized that I hadn't accounted for shields or just plain old punching someone, and also my worry about overcomplicating it was that every bodypart of a mech would have slots to place equipment and such on and each bodypart had it's own health meter. I suppose I could just come up with some generalized results and then wing it depending on the situation like you said.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: September 28, 2012, 08:26:05 pm »

You could always use the base damage as a modifier- rifles could have something like "roll 3 take highest" or something. Multi-fire guns could take the result, decrease in actual damage, but bypass defense: A roll of 2 does nothing on a MG that "divide by 3 pass def", but a roll of 6 does 2 damage per supposed hit (i.e., five shots)
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 661