Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 726814 times)

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile

I still say somebody needs to make a Kingdom of Loathing RTD. I'd be in right away.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile

I was going to make an interest check thread, but instead of cluttering up our RtD board, I decided to post it here:

Spoiler: Roll to X-Com (click to show/hide)

Now here's where the roller's block comes in. I'd like ideas and criticism. Things I haven't worked out yet are:

Results of failure: Without an overarching funding model, how should failure be treated? Should there be another, harder mission afterwards (think terror), base attack, ect?

Technology Progression: Based on Mission completion, artifact retrieval, or perhaps something else?

Ideas: Just any thoughtful ideas are appreciated. Weapons, enemies, missions, ect.

"Edit":

Would anyone here join an X-Com based RTD? Little interaction global side, other than equipment and basic decisions on UFOs/Terror attacks.

Oh. Are you still doing this?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:49:09 am by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...I have no idea what X-Com is. But I have some good advice. Hopefully.

If you HAVE to have group failure, I'd go with a base attack, so that they have to go back, defend the base from whatever, and then go back to the mission. If you don't HAVE to have it, go for just personal failure, without filing the whole group if everyone dies.

As for technology progression, add stuff that fit's the surroundings, as well as making things more powerful as you go along. If you end up in a forest, add some natural weapons. In a factory, maybe robotics. And Steampunk weapons are a must at some point.

And since I know nothing about X-Com, I can't help you outside of that.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile

Good ideas. Steampunk doesn't fit at all into X-Com though, so that's a no go.

I suggest being in the know about X-Com. X-Com, is, to be quite frank, a classic. I have a few LPs on the LP board and quite a few other B12'ers have attempted one. And I mean quite a few. At least 15, I think, of various flavors.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I shall check them out! And reserve me for when you start, if that's okay with you. It sounds great!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

X-com is basically a bunch of people in jumpsuits who are send to defend Earth against an alien menace. It's all about friendly fire, Shooting aliens with lot's of explosives. Missing aliens from point blanck. Missing an alien, but having the shot kill another one by flying through 2 windows. Stuff like hat.

No steampunk stuff though, X-com is a classic, and I don't think many will appreciate messing with it.

As for research, I should say that you have researchers(amount influences by missions). You can then give your researches acces to recovered alien tech. The more they have the faster researh progresses. They can break stuff though, so watch out with that.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile

No, I'm not doing it. I realized my willpower for running an RTD is very low. Anyway, add some randomness to research, like artifacts randomly blowing up (as was suggested before). Anyway I'm sure joining won't be a proble., seeing as the majority of people here are X-Com fans.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Warning: Long.

>Steal borrow most of Piecewise's Einsteinian Roulette's combat and level-up system, with a few modifications. It'd match up nicely to how I want combat to work and it has already been proven to work quite well. I'll be asking him for permission, of course.

>Based on X-Com scenario, items, enemies, weapons, and so forth. I may throw a wrench in here and there to keep things interesting, but otherwise it'll be X-Com.
So far so good. I tend to prefer learning by doing, but this method is a lot simpler.

>Token Credit based economy, also based off of Piecewise. Your performance on the battlefield will determine how many credits you gain, which can be purchased on weapons and equipment.
You might want to formalize who exactly is making this decision. In ER, AM would probably give different payouts than Steve does, for instance, and you might have similar issues here. Is it a politician concerned about looking good above all else? A berserk general who wants to see dead aliens and nothing but dead aliens? Someone more balanced and competent?

Basically, some things are going to be subjective in how good or bad they were, especially as tradeoffs (ie rescuing wounded teammates vs chasing wounded alien) so it'd be best to have some kind of unified viewpoint for resolving that.

>If this generates enough interest, active players on missions will be cycled, sort of, you guessed it, Piecewise style.
I guarantee an X-COM RTD will generate enough interest.

>Technology Tree. This is what I'm working on right now in my mind. I plan to allow the players to decide what to research, but what should affect progress? Should it be number of missions? Should finding alien artifacts boost research in certain areas? I'm still working on it.
Hm... well, I suppose that depends on exactly how you want it to work/what you want it to do.

By default, though, I guess my recommendation would be a certain total amount of research per mission, and then adding (and consuming in the process, presumably) relevant artifacts could add more. I'd personally make each artifact useable in multiple projects to give a bit more choice in the matter, but you could argue that deciding where to research is the player choice component and artifacts are the random loot component if you wanted to.

Of course, stranger systems are entirely possible, like researching individual weapons for a chance at making that specific example human-useable.

>Missions: Missions will be much longer, detailed, and deeper than a typical X-Com mission. There may be hostage situations, mansions, local police forces, and so on.
Interesting.

>Nonactive players wandering around on the base. Also stolen borrowed from Piecewise. This is quite ambitious and will probably be cut. Activities may include prototyping weapons for the research lab, looking at alien tech, reading up on the news, and so forth.
Am sad to hear that this may be cut, but oh well. You might consider trying to get a sub/co-GM to handle faffing about on base, especially if on base doesn't have any game-relevant activities anyway or if you'd only be needed for rare, specific things.

Results of failure: Without an overarching funding model, how should failure be treated? Should there be another, harder mission afterwards (think terror), base attack, ect?
Theoretically, failure could be punished simply by docking the individuals' in questions' pay. You wouldn't even have to pay them nothing for the mission to make them regret those lost credits. Maybe give them nothing as a baseline but then still reward exceptional service?

Basically, the issue with punishing failure is that it's really hard to punish individual incompetence without punishing the whole team, which is mainly problematic because it can mean you lose out on something or might even die because someone else was a derp. That's true to an extent with just having them on your team in the first place, but it's usually a lot less serious. Of course, maybe I'm overestimating how feasible it'll be for missions to fail because one or two people were screwing around.

As another option, you could tie service to promotions, benefits to those promotions, and then overall base performance to max ranks or similar. So for instance, if someone bravely breaches a UFO or manages to snipe out an alien he couldn't even see from the other side of the mission zone, he might get a medal to commemorate his valor or just a promotion to Captain or something to signify that he's experienced or competent, and in either case that'd give him some sort of bonus, maybe a morale boost or access to better equipment or something.

The catch, then, is that the base has a limited number of promotions/medals to hand out based on its overall record- they just can't justify handing out honors left and right when they keep failing, now can they? So failure is bad because it cuts down on the number of extra perks the team can get, though how effective a member is still determines how likely they were to get a bonus anyway.

Technology Progression: Based on Mission completion, artifact retrieval, or perhaps something else?

Ideas: Just any thoughtful ideas are appreciated. Weapons, enemies, missions, ect.
As mentioned above, it depends but by default both. Alternatively, you could have artifacts or similar be a competing objective with actually getting the mission done or getting it done well, to encourage the science-minded to go out of their way harvesting alien guns or dragging carcasses back to the Skyranger while the more objective-oriented crew tries to stop that alien from escaping or butchering more civilians or something. Obviously you'd need a reason why they can't just grab everything once the mission is complete for that to work, though.

As for other ideas... not particularly. I'd just suggest trying to make sure the enemy types follow their own themes, so a Sectoid Engineer is still obviously a Sectoid, for instance.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

VincValentine

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire at will!
    • View Profile

So, I was toying with the idea of making a RTD set in Valoran. (League of Legends)

I've got some ideas for this, but I'd like to have some suggestions and opinions.

What I've been wondering is if the players should be summoners or champions?
And if champions, should they make their own?

Any kind of ideas would be nice, thanks.
It's sad when the guy falling down the mountain with two broken arms is one of the ones in the least amount of trouble.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

So, I was toying with the idea of making a RTD set in Valoran. (League of Legends)

Any kind of ideas would be nice, thanks.
Depends on the kind of game you're going for. "Set in Universe X" usually isn't actually saying anything.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

League of legends is one of those things where people from the multiverse beat the hell out of each other for fun and profit right?

Hmm...
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Most of them are natives, but yes. It's also largely a substitute for real wars, since those were getting out of hand.

VincValentine

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire at will!
    • View Profile

League of legends is one of those things where people from the multiverse beat the hell out of each other for fun and profit right?

Hmm...

It's more a war between two large city states made up of conflicts involving smaller cities. Instead of fighting with armies they simply have a battleground where they send champions from their own and other worlds to fight their fights for them.

Depends on the kind of game you're going for. "Set in Universe X" usually isn't actually saying anything.

Point taken. I was thinking of having it be a group of champions who would be caught in a national incident, maybe something like Jarvan or Swain being disappearing and the players have to search for them.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:14:56 pm by VincValentine »
It's sad when the guy falling down the mountain with two broken arms is one of the ones in the least amount of trouble.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Woah, Vinc, you're back.

And with the same avatar you had two years ago. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

VincValentine

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire at will!
    • View Profile

Woah, Vinc, you're back.

And with the same avatar you had two years ago. :P

Yeah, I had very little free time the last two years so I really couldn't keep CF going, sorry for suddenly abandoning it without saying anything. :-\
I've got a new one going now though, you should join in again.
Also, Problem Sleuth is still awesome so I'm keeping my avatar. :P
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 661