Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 729084 times)

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Lawas knows where I live)
« Reply #4785 on: July 10, 2012, 06:54:22 am »

I am currently working on a Rules RTD inspired RTD i call " The universe wants you dead"
v
The basic rules are:
I  : (Sean Mirrsen's standard rules).
II  : Instead of taking actions Players can add rules or modify existing rules. Those rules are subject to the D6 and might get a + or - to it's roll if deemed over or underpowered.
III: the setting is decided by the GM.
IV : there are hidden rules. Those Rules will be revealed once players discover them.
V : No rule can be added against a specific player.
VI : Whenever a Player enters the game he or she may state one new rule with an automatic 4 - power buffs/debufs still apply.
VII: Player Rules must consist of a single sentence.
VIII: The GM may introduce new rules on every prime numbered Turn.
IX: People on the waitinglist can state a rule - one of those rules will be randomly chosen each turn and added to the Rules.
X: there are 4 players.
1: Players can only change and add Rules with arabic numbering.
^
currently WIP - already have most of a setting - might start this weekend. Anybody see an obvious flaw in the rules?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: July 10, 2012, 09:09:08 am »

Metal Gear Solid RTD. Maybe the players would be in PMCs, maybe a Foxhound esque thing.
Been there, done that.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: July 10, 2012, 09:44:22 am »

I am currently working on a Rules RTD inspired RTD i call " The universe wants you dead"
v
The basic rules are:
I  : (Sean Mirrsen's standard rules).
II  : Instead of taking actions Players can add rules or modify existing rules. Those rules are subject to the D6 and might get a + or - to it's roll if deemed over or underpowered.
III: the setting is decided by the GM.
IV : there are hidden rules. Those Rules will be revealed once players discover them.
V : No rule can be added against a specific player.
VI : Whenever a Player enters the game he or she may state one new rule with an automatic 4 - power buffs/debufs still apply.
VII: Player Rules must consist of a single sentence.
VIII: The GM may introduce new rules on every prime numbered Turn.
IX: People on the waitinglist can state a rule - one of those rules will be randomly chosen each turn and added to the Rules.
X: there are 4 players.
1: Players can only change and add Rules with arabic numbering.
^
currently WIP - already have most of a setting - might start this weekend. Anybody see an obvious flaw in the rules?

I'd probably make Rule 1 Rule XI- otherwise it looks pretty interesting, I'd be on board.

So I read something the other day that gave me an idea.

ROLL TO COUP!

Inspired by tales of history’s most incompetent coupers, this story would see 4+ opposing faction leaders try to take over a country.

Since I don’t know whether I would really ever do this as I have enough going on, I haven’t really worked out the mechanics in much depth. But! It would be vaguely competitive, in that the player whose faction does least badly would win, or gain control of the country and be declared El Presidente, or not lined up against a wall and shot, or something.

Players would have to PM the GM with their coup plan (which would be a simple 5 or 6 point thing) before the start, as obviously the co-conspirators would need to know what was going to happen. Major actions which deviate too much from the plan would get a -1 penalty as confusion would set in. Obviously, it would only take a few 1s and 2s for the plan to deviate from itself.

The PMed plan would include something like:
1 – Who are the co-conspirators (you know, disgruntled army officers, popular rebels)
2 – Who are the muscle (foreign mercenaries, disgruntled army officers)
3 – How are the weapons being obtained (airports, boats, stealing)
4 – Where are they going to proclaim their coup (radio station, presidential palace)

I had a definite 6 point plan template based on analysis of historical examples before I started writing this but I’m a bit ill so I’ve forgotten.

Also interesting, though I imagine that the country in question would have to be very fleshed out to facilitate multiple coup plans.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: July 10, 2012, 09:54:25 am »

Alternatively, players can only add, remove, or modify arabic prime numbers.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: July 10, 2012, 10:33:58 am »

Also interesting, though I imagine that the country in question would have to be very fleshed out to facilitate multiple coup plans.

I guess the details could be stolen from a real country's wiki page or something. A country with a history of coups.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: July 10, 2012, 10:45:25 am »

France?

Oh wait, you said coup.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: July 10, 2012, 11:12:15 am »

France?

Oh wait, you said coup.

Coup doesn't sound anything like surrender!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: July 10, 2012, 11:21:57 am »

Yeah I dunno I read that as Tour.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: July 10, 2012, 11:54:14 am »

I'd probably make Rule 1 Rule XI- otherwise it looks pretty interesting, I'd be on board.

I didn't do that to leave players a strategic choice right at the beginning - they can change the basic rules if they get rid of the rule 1 - that in turn allows all other players and outside people to edit the rules before them. Also: 2: The turn order is fixed and decided by the order of joining.

Revealing anything else here about the background decisions might give players an edge if they read this thread - therefore ...
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: July 11, 2012, 07:14:20 pm »

Daikaiju (Godzilla-like monster) RTD

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: July 11, 2012, 07:19:47 pm »

I might as well post this since I have the time. It was originally ebbor's idea (really recent), I'm just working on it further. It's a godhood game with evolution mechanics, as intelligent AIs.

Deus ex Machina: Chariot of the Gods/Creation of Intelligence

Spoiler: Premise (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Story (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Energy and Influence (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Resource Guidelines (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Game Phases (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Evolution Mechanics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Topography (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Miscellaneous (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: AI Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Example Species Sheet (click to show/hide)

God I need to finish this...Must. work out. evolution process.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: July 12, 2012, 05:01:49 pm »

Earthbound RTD

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: July 13, 2012, 12:16:19 am »

I've been designing a dwarven war rtd, with planes/tanks/boats, but still semi-medieval tech. It's somewhat based on the dwarven races, so you can design your own weapons and stuff. Just an interest check. I'm also not sure about making it 2 teams, or one vs gm ai and such, because it'd be difficult to have a high enough amount of players on both sides to make it work as gm especially with such a complex game, and then you'd have to do extra work it conceal their actions/etc, and it just goes on.

Edit: What do you say we make a basic rule set for a Tacticus rtd, or Tacticus in general. First we'd have to make a rules thread that someone is willing to update frequently (I semi-volunteer for this).Rulebooks would be made en mass by people in the thread, and approved as we go. Then, eventually, we actually play a game. The goal would probably have to be to find the most obscurely usefull thing in the mass of pages of rules, and use it to your advantage. Make sure to add tons of seemingly meaningless subclauses. When things interact in unforeseen ways, that will be the fun of it, sorta like 1kbwc. What Tacticus really needs in the end, is some form of win condition, no matter how difficult to reach. I suppose if it gets to a point where you can't move without being countered utterly surrendering would be an option.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:47:31 am by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: July 13, 2012, 01:50:54 am »

I've been designing a dwarven war rtd, with planes/tanks/boats, but still semi-medieval tech. It's somewhat based on the dwarven races, so you can design your own weapons and stuff. Just an interest check. I'm also not sure about making it 2 teams, or one vs gm ai and such, because it'd be difficult to have a high enough amount of players on both sides to make it work as gm especially with such a complex game, and then you'd have to do extra work it conceal their actions/etc, and it just goes on.

Edit: What do you say we make a basic rule set for a Tacticus rtd, or Tacticus in general. First we'd have to make a rules thread that someone is willing to update frequently (I semi-volunteer for this).Rulebooks would be made en mass by people in the thread, and approved as we go. Then, eventually, we actually play a game. The goal would probably have to be to find the most obscurely usefull thing in the mass of pages of rules, and use it to your advantage. Make sure to add tons of seemingly meaningless subclauses. When things interact in unforeseen ways, that will be the fun of it, sorta like 1kbwc. What Tacticus really needs in the end, is some form of win condition, no matter how difficult to reach. I suppose if it gets to a point where you can't move without being countered utterly surrendering would be an option.
I think that would be interesting. I would most certainly play. However, one of the key points of Tacticus is stating new rules every so often, so you might want to add some rules for that. (Ie, a new rulebook is accepted when 3 people accept it, a subclause when 2 players accept it,...). Of course, rules should be able to be made to affect this behaviour.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: July 13, 2012, 12:52:43 pm »

So, I have decided to start another RTD, this time with quite a bit more freedom. As you may notice, the game's free-style gameplay was inspired by IronyOwl's unforgettable Staggered Magi RTD.

If Irony has no objections, I'll give it a name that will describe both the default state of the characters and the justification for the fact that our highly qualified masters of the arcane have a 1/6 chance to fumble their spells:

Staggering Wizards RTD

Spoiler: Introduction (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rolls and Magnitude (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wounds and Healing (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skill Levels (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Schools of Magic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Alright, now I'd like to ask a few questions before I go ahead and start it:
1. Anyone see any glaring holes in the system?
2. Would you personally want to play a hungover wizard with an unknown amount of vengeful husbands/jealous wifes after his/her head?
3. What, if anything, do you want to add to this game?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:54:43 pm by HmH »
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 661