Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728612 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Lawas knows where I live)
« Reply #4710 on: June 22, 2012, 10:24:39 pm »

Dwarmin! What're you up to these days...? :3
Getting her ass kicked by assassins of the God of Murder while carrying a godly copper scale in her magical backpack while I eat sweetrolls and watch my son the God of Chaos juggle live rats.

More seriously, I don't think I've seen him around this thread for a while. If you want to ask, I'd suggest PMing him.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: June 22, 2012, 10:35:14 pm »

Dwarm's still around, he posted in Nowhere To Run a while back. He's not keeping his usual, insanely high posting rate at the moment, though. :(

Anyway! I want to finally get around to making that light-hearted, action-oriented RTD I've been kicking around in my head for a while.
I was wondering, though, if the players are going to be a team of post-apocalyptic mercenaries, how should the team's name and such be decided? Should I gather suggestions and make a poll in the thread? Should I let the players elect one of their number to play the team leader, or should I simply fill that role with an NPC to keep things simple?
This may sound worrying, but never fear, it is not going to be anywhere near as complex as my other RtD. :P I am keeping things very simple, game-wise.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: June 22, 2012, 11:27:08 pm »

More seriously, I don't think I've seen him around this thread for a while. If you want to ask, I'd suggest PMing him.
Hm, I might do that if he doesn't show up.

In unrelated news, back to MCRPGSimsThing.

Currently, I've decided on three skills per material- small items, furniture, structures. Now I'm trying to figure out where weapons and armor, probably including practical tools, fit in there. I'm worried about the balance between all three as far as usefulness goes.

Three basic thoughts have occurred to me. The first and most obvious is cramming them into an existing category. As I've mentioned, I'm concerned that might unbalance them.

The second, which I'm currently leaning towards, is to make Weaponcrafting and Armorcrafting their own separate, material-independent skills, so someone who can make armor out of bronze can probably do just as well with stone, leather, or bone. I find that option intriguing, but then I'm a little concerned about those skills being overpowered.

The third is just to let players use any relevant skill for them, essentially adding weapons and armor to all categories. Don't think I like this one much, but it is a material-centered option that doesn't favor any one set.

In related news, I'm not entirely sure where stranger things, like clothing or vehicles, would fit in here. Clothes might just qualify as small items, or possibly even be split off into its own separate, material-less skill. Of course, then you could make an argument for doing the same with, say jewelry, which might work, but also possibly for things where it really couldn't work. Hatmaker might be an okay NPC profession, but no sane player (and not very many insane ones) are going to want to professionally make nothing but hats.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: June 22, 2012, 11:36:09 pm »

Clothesmaking? You could encompass things like Spinning, Weaving and things related to the base material for common clothing under the single skill of Clothesmaking as well.

And vehicles get a little trickier. I'm fairly sure there should at least exist a different specialization for the moving parts and the external parts...Or you could just encompass that by a very high level of Engineering/Mechanics.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: June 23, 2012, 12:17:58 am »

Dwarm's still around, he posted in Nowhere To Run a while back. He's not keeping his usual, insanely high posting rate at the moment, though. :(
I never said he wasn't around the forum...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: June 23, 2012, 01:39:00 am »

Meh, I'm not gone. :P

I guess I have been posting less and less recently...I dunno, it just seems harder to keep up the same enthusiasm I used to have.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: June 23, 2012, 07:53:46 am »

I was wondering, though, if the players are going to be a team of post-apocalyptic mercenaries, how should the team's name and such be decided? Should I gather suggestions and make a poll in the thread? Should I let the players elect one of their number to play the team leader, or should I simply fill that role with an NPC to keep things simple?
This may sound worrying, but never fear, it is not going to be anywhere near as complex as my other RtD. :P I am keeping things very simple, game-wise.

Let them decide. Keep the numbers down too ;)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: June 25, 2012, 05:00:48 pm »

Any advice for someone who can't reliably host a game?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: June 25, 2012, 05:04:19 pm »

Any advice for someone who can't reliably host a game?
Depends on what your problem seems to be. There's a lot of reasons your games can keep dying off.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: June 25, 2012, 05:06:30 pm »

My problem is that I'm really just kinda lazy and so that among other things I'm doing, I kind of let it slip by me.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: June 25, 2012, 05:08:33 pm »

Maybe if you scheduled a select time every day/week/what have you.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: June 25, 2012, 05:12:12 pm »

Ah. Well, that could still be several different problems, but:

Make sure it's something you're interested in. If you want to see what's going to happen next, it'll give you more motivation to update.

Remember that it's never too late to bring a game back from the dead. If you start thinking it's dead at a certain point with no updates, obviously it tends to become genuinely dead.

Consider asking your players to poke you. Being reminded that people are waiting on you can help motivate you. Or annoy you, depending on your particular style.

Try to get a schedule or trigger of some sort. If you always update on a certain day or after a certain amount of time has passed, it'll be easier to keep doing that than updating "whenever, but hopefully sooner than the last four times."

Try doing it anyway. It's usually not nearly as hard to update as you're making it out to be to your lazy self. Once the window's open and the dice are rolling, things tend to move along.

Do it in chunks if you have to. Rolling one player's turn, saving your work, and then going back to being lazy is better than never rolling any turns because you don't want to slog through the whole thing at once.

I'm sure there's others, but these are what come to mind.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4722 on: June 25, 2012, 07:41:08 pm »

My problem is that I'm really just kinda lazy and so that among other things I'm doing, I kind of let it slip by me.

Usually, I update exactly once per day. No posts? Just skip them.

Sometimes I get too demotivated and just drop the games. An example would be a day (24 hours) passed, and there's like only one action, or it takes too much effort to update it.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: June 26, 2012, 02:48:07 pm »

OK...
I'm going to be starting a game soon, and if I take way too long, in general I WOULD appreciate PM pokes.

Elaborating flavorwise on what I'm doing to do, it's an RTD about a multi-dimensional agency that has lots of secrets, set in the modern world, created from a world I've elaborated in my head over a year. (It's not a government agency or anything though. (and it's not the MIB.)) Its stated goal is to protect the various dimensions and know -every !@#$ing thing it can- about them. Even it has its secrets though, as only the highest ranking members know the Agency's -name-. It even has reasons for that. Faced with enemies such as the other-dimension Infection and Steel Agers, the hedonistic group Zaifram that also has access to dimensional technology, named after its founder, groups that even the Agency knows very little of, and looming threats noone's discovered, the agents must protect the dimensions, learn their secrets, the secrets of the other groups, and maybe even of their own...

Also, a little bit of backstory
Spoiler: backstory (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:22:10 pm by Powder Miner »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: June 27, 2012, 04:28:01 pm »

Double posting to bump here because editing didn't.

Also might as well expound mechanically.
As far as mechanics go, I think my RTD might be similar to my several times dead Thearchy RTD- it has stats, skills (though not in two categories), and weapons with different types.
The basic stuff is simple, but the equipment system has been worked out pretty well- There are several types of damage, like Impact (maces, etc), Projectile (I GOT BULLETED IN FACE), Explosive (bewm), Laser (I think you get it). These would be assigned to weapons along with their age (matters in a few faction, means Medieval, Modern, Future, Caveman, Far Future.) and have a weight rating for how heavy they are (Sidearm, Main Weapon, Heavy Weapon, I'm not making up exact weights.) along with usual ammo etc. for the weapon stats.
For example, sniper rifles are Main Weapons that are Modern and do Projectile damage.

Damage types come in useful when armor is calculated, as every armor had one damage type it's good against and one it's weak against. It also has an age and a weight rating (Light Medium or Heavy- matters on movement rolls).
For example, Kevlar is a light armor that is good against Projectiles but is weak against Impact. You can move well in it, it'll protect you fairly well from pistol shots, but it'll do nothing vs a sword.
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 661