Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728407 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Lawas knows where I live)
« Reply #4635 on: June 12, 2012, 10:43:28 am »

They are retrieving Sir Keardwall's holy exterior spleen.

Ooh, gosh, good idea. Thank you.

Secondary objectives could include making as much people foaming from their mouths in anger as possible with their terrible verses, and you could add a counter of "ANGRY PEOPLE" to the game.

Interesting. Hmm.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: June 12, 2012, 02:48:56 pm »

This would complicate it a bit, but how about associated penalties depending on your current wounds? So a broken leg would reduce movement, it's harder to use your sword if you've taken a stab to the arm, etc. Also, if you'd like to introduce death by blunt weapon, you could always use the concept of internal bleeding. It'd probably fit right alongside very heavy bleeding, perhaps 40 healing points, skilled medical attention, and -10 HP per turn.
I knew I forgot to mention something.There actually are penalties based on those things.
Spoiler: GWSWS 1.2 (click to show/hide)
The first three injury types you see there are bleeding injuries, and they drain health directly. The last four are structural injuries; they don't drain health, but instead provide penalties. If you break a rib for instance, that's -2 to movement and dodge rolls. A missing/broken arm gives -2 to use of two-handed weapons, etc.

As for blunt damage and internal bleeding, I'm thinking that could work. Another possibility is just making huge differences in attack/dodge rolls (like seven or more, not normally possible on a d6) inflict an instant death blow. That way a blunt weapon gradually incapacitates the enemy with wounds and increases their dodge penalty, eventually to the point that a death blow is assured. Which also brings up the question of how to deal with unconsciousness and GAH

So, this has been percolating through the back o' me head for a while now (apparently, one week to be precise.) Since I'm now pondering another RTD that would benefit from this kind of a system, I thought I'd put some serious thought into it and share my take.

Spoiler: GMWS (click to show/hide)

So! Of note, nonlethal attacks deal damage by attacking HP directly without inflicting injuries. Weapons/attacks are intended to deal either HP damage or Injury damage, not both. I threw out the idea of "skilled medical attention," replacing it with the need for legit medical supplies for some injuries. I specified some penalties for the structural injuries (probably needs balancing.) Overall, it is a bit harder to die since you get a specific Roll to Dodge Death that only comes up in specific instances, but it is easier end up unconscious due to rebalancing of Bleeding and direct HP damage.

I'd still like to add an Attack segment to provide guidelines for how severity/location of injuries is determined. Thoughts?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: June 12, 2012, 03:07:03 pm »

That unconsciousness system looks like the one IronyOwl was impinging upon his players. And it makes a little sense.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: June 12, 2012, 03:11:44 pm »

I'd still like to add an Attack segment to provide guidelines for how severity/location of injuries is determined. Thoughts?

Severity, using the GWSWS as a model, is determined using attack roll - defence roll, and location is either random OR random but with a +1/-1 modifier on the location table to increase the chance of hitting the target.

10ebbor10 has a good wound table improved from the draft one I use.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: June 12, 2012, 03:13:41 pm »

Adding to that, I got a rough draft for explosion and magical damage, some ideas for poisonous damage and such.

Unconsciousness and non-lethal weapons are handled different. Non-lethal weapons just give penalties, and when the penalties overcome the rolls the player has to make to do things, he's stated as unconscious.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 03:48:48 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: June 12, 2012, 03:15:25 pm »

Didn't I help add the localized limb penalties to that system?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: June 12, 2012, 03:39:19 pm »

Adding to that, I got a rough draft for explosion and magical damage, some ideas for potionous damage and such.

Unconciousness and non lethal weapons are handled different. Non lethal weapons just give penalties, and when the penatlies overcome the rolls the player has to make to do things, he's stated as unconcious.

Don't you be teasing me with your tables and then not posting/linking to them! >:(

...me fail english? That's unpossible!

That unconsciousness system looks like the one IronyOwl was impinging upon his players. And it makes a little sense.

Care to link so I can check it out myself?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: June 12, 2012, 03:42:34 pm »

Note; this is not the one used in my game, nor the one used in Iawa's game. (which, as far as I understand is, is more story based)

And now I made a simple system complicated.

Horrible spelling

Don't you be teasing me with your tables and then not posting/linking to them! >:(

...me fail english? That's unpossible!

Care to link so I can check it out myself?
I was just finishing the burning rules.

Edit: Ran everything through word. No more writing up things when semi-asleep/not focused.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 03:51:31 pm by 10ebbor10 »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: June 12, 2012, 03:59:42 pm »

Note; this is not the one used in my game, nor the one used in Iawa's game. (which, as far as I understand is, is more story based)

And now I made a simple system complicated.

Heehee. Yes, the one I use is a draft I emailed to myself months ago and has one table of 5 lines and another of 6. More story based is one way of describing it, indeed; for something more serious I don't see what's wrong with having it all laid out rule book style. I like being able to decide that a wound affects a groin whenever I want though.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: June 12, 2012, 05:44:05 pm »

Whee, thank you!

Edit: Ran everything through word. No more writing up things when semi-asleep/not focused.

Sorry, was referring to my own unique interpretation of the language. I thought "potionous" was a phrase you were coining- I quite like it.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: June 14, 2012, 06:43:44 am »

I've been working a little on Roll to Minstrel and have a couple of questions (the main other thing I need to work on is finishing my deathmatch and figuring out the plot a little better; I would consider PMing the drafted OP to anyone who is very interested, or at least the rules part of it).

I am asking for an obligatory bio in character applications - not so much for a bio's sake but to demonstrate your minstrel's style of minstrelism. Seem acceptable?

Also, I imagine it will be a pain to submit actions or do dialogue in verse form, so I am just going to give +1 bonuses to actions posted in verse form or with a descriptive verse (in the style of your minstrel's school of minstrelship). Obviously the turns themselves will be written in verse form. Seem reasonable?

Please offer feedback.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: June 14, 2012, 06:49:20 am »

Reasonable, but the problem may be the writing proficiency between players. Verse varies between person to person, but if done in verse, I'd guess it's a just-for-fun moment if so, without the +1 so people won't have a gap between each other.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: June 14, 2012, 06:51:02 am »

Sounds acceptable and good. Writing verses really can be a little of a bother if it was supposed to compose the whole post, but I suppose the bonus to actions in verse or at least partly-verse posts seems reasonable.

The bio is also necessary, but the standards should not be kept too high due to the simple fact some people have some kind of block when writing backgrounds (not my case).
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: June 14, 2012, 07:04:55 am »

Reasonable, but the problem may be the writing proficiency between players.

Yes, I thought about that, but I don't really know much of a way round it. But then it doesn't have to be gramatically correct, it doesn't have to be perfect, it doesn't necessarily have to even rhyme - it could be so bad/cheesy it's good (rhyming does help with this though, a nicely forced rhyme can be quite goodly bad). Could just be funny. But the bonus will be for the verse being done in character (as per the examples above of Minstrel of Verbose, Swearing, etc), not for how good the verse is.

The world I am using is my adapted Holy Grail world - none of the knights in that were especially competent paragons of knighthood; I don't expect these minstrels to be anything better.

The bio is also necessary, but the standards should not be kept too high

No, quite, for me the importance is entirely is establishing the School of Minstrelness.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: June 14, 2012, 11:26:23 am »

I am interested in this Roll To Minstrel idea. I think I also agree with verse being reserved of the character speaking or for DRAMATIC ACTIONS.

Would it count as a bard if I made a (wannabe) poet who speaks (or attempts to speak) in haiku?
Soaplent green is goblins!
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 661