Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728292 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Lawas knows where I live)
« Reply #4590 on: June 08, 2012, 12:21:29 pm »

No need to complicate it by adding maps. Track it abstractly.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: June 09, 2012, 12:09:45 am »

Alright, so now I've got some weird system stuff I'm trying to figure out.

I think the basic setup for skills and abilities will work something like as follows:

Skills will be indicated by a numeral to show their rank, ie Farming 3. The experience cost to improve a skill is equal to some variation of the skill level in question, so Farming 1 might cost 10 exp, going from Farming 1 to Farming 2 would cost 20 exp, and so on. Not sure if that'll actually be 10/20/30 or 1/2/3 or what, but something simple and intuitive like that.

Generally speaking, skills add their skill level to the results of an attempt to use them, rather than to the roll. So Swords 2 would add +2 damage to a successful hit, Farming 3 would add 3 Food to harvests, Masonry 1 would add 1 progress to building something, and so on.

Where this gets kind of strange is the way I want experience to work, though. Specifically, while you gain experience by using the skill in question, you have to spend it manually. This has two connotations to it.

The first is that you can spend experience in a related field rather than the one you actually got exp by practicing. So someone who gains 5 Woodcutting exp could potentially use it to level up their Axeman skill instead (incidentally, this is also how magic will work; you progress from something you can actually practice into something you couldn't do normally by chaining skills). I'm unsure if there should be limits on this or not, such as to avoid a master swordsman doing all his training by harvesting wheat.

The second facet, and the one I kind of need help on, is figuring out what kind of an action spending experience takes. I'd kind of prefer it to be an actual action, in other words, instead of just leveling Farming by farming, you have to take time off your mundane stuff to actually apply that knowledge and make yourself better at it. This kind of raises questions about how exactly that works; should there be a set experience count you can do per turn, so to go from Fishing 3 to Fishing 4 takes, say, one day per 10 exp, or 4 days total? Or should each level take a day, meaning you basically just get the levelup and then take a day off to actually gain it? Or something else, like exp being freely spent, meaning it's more efficient to actually spend your stuff as rarely as possible, or all excess exp disappearing when you level, meaning you want to train as soon as possible once you've got the amount?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: June 09, 2012, 08:04:01 am »

Impose limitations. Like harvesting the fields with bladed objects should raise any combat skill with bladed objects only up to 2 or 3.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #4593 on: June 09, 2012, 12:02:02 pm »

So I wanted to do some live RTDing using roll20.net which is basically Maptools online, but I have no idea if it works. Could someone try to get to https://app.roll20.net/join/6838/4dFb_A please? You may need an account, but I figured that if we can do some live RTD on it it'll be worth it.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: June 09, 2012, 12:25:29 pm »

So, it seems like most of my players have went to summer hibernation. Any suggestions? (The game is Roll to Hack 3)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: June 09, 2012, 12:32:13 pm »

So I wanted to do some live RTDing using roll20.net which is basically Maptools online, but I have no idea if it works. Could someone try to get to https://app.roll20.net/join/6838/4dFb_A please? You may need an account, but I figured that if we can do some live RTD on it it'll be worth it.
Stuff works.
Exkirby is planning to run a post apocalyptic zombie game. Probably going to start in 15 minutes.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: June 09, 2012, 12:59:06 pm »

Confirmation that I am doing some PA Zombie Stuff and it is going down NAOW. Click the link, damns it!
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: June 09, 2012, 02:06:03 pm »

So far ExKirby tried to foil my plans of using my special ops soldier training to piss on a zombie's feet then bitchslap him. I had to shoot instead. D:
>Yes?

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: June 09, 2012, 04:05:22 pm »

So between a hilarious lack of PC luck, a shelf being turned into a barricade and bayonet zombie, that was probably the most fun you will ever have on an RTD. I want to make this a weekly thing now, because I enjoyed hosting and if I could make a plot it would be great.

Brb, stealing the Einsteinium Roulette idea.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: June 09, 2012, 04:06:04 pm »

What are you stealing from Einsteinian Roulette?
>Yes?

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: June 09, 2012, 04:09:42 pm »

The money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: June 09, 2012, 04:10:37 pm »

The money.
I really doubt it bro. I already tried to give it all my money but it just bounces back from the screen.
>Yes?

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: June 09, 2012, 04:39:33 pm »

Ah, but you didn't drill a hole in your screen!

Edit: This thread had been viewed 51515 times. Palindromes ahoy!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 04:41:11 pm by ExKirby »

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: June 09, 2012, 05:24:00 pm »

Superjail! RTD

I have two ideas for it. In one, all the players would be generic inmates. They would have to try to survive the events of the episode, which I would decide. A pretty generic RTD, just set in Superjail.

In the other, the waitlisters would be the generic inmates and guest characters, where as the players would be split into two teams. The teams would each have different characters who attempt to accomplish their personal goals. The changing of the turns would be determined by the end of each episode.

Warden: Set up the plot by wanting to accomplish some ridiculous whim.
Alice: Follow Wardens orders, get some from the prisoners.
Jailbot: Follow Wardens orders, stop any and all escapes.
Jared: Follow Wardens orders, resist temptation, try to restore sanity.
The Good Doctor: Follow Wardens orders, progress science.

The Twins: Subvert Wardens orders in the most evil, twisted way possible.
Jackknife: Escape.

The guest characters, like the mistress of Ultrajail would be whoever is closest to getting in. Any help developing it would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:22:09 pm by Spinal_Taper »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4604 on: June 09, 2012, 08:36:44 pm »

You have been sentenced 19 years in prison. 4 for stealing a loaf of bread, 13 for three failed escape attempts, and 1 for being an amoral jerk.

Fakeedit: I claim 24601 :P

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 661