Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 729576 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I do not consider myself a weaboo.
I can see you are as easy to tease as Tiruin. I shall add you to my "List of People I Like to Tease". It already has Tiruin, Errol and now it has you.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am glad there are more weeabos aside from me and tomas.
I haven't watched that much anime, just a few ones, enjoyed them though.

Ah yes, it's a great setting for an RTD, why didn't it ever occur to me... I even ran a horribly failed Tabletop game for a group of friends.
Reserve?
Might give it a try.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile

I can see you are as easy to tease as Tiruin. I shall add you to my "List of People I Like to Tease". It already has Tiruin, Errol and now it has you.
I'm not easy to tease. I didn't even think that was meant to offend me until you pointed out that it was a failed trolling attempt. In fact, I'm pretty much the most horrible jerk and emotional sadist ever, so I know how psychological warfare works.
 I'm pretty sure you're the one annoyed right now. Mainly by the fact that I'm being smug as hell.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

I'm not easy to tease. I didn't even think that was meant to offend me until you pointed out that it was a failed trolling attempt. In fact, I'm pretty much the most horrible jerk and emotional sadist ever, so I know how psychological warfare works.
 I'm pretty sure you're the one annoyed right now. Mainly by the fact that I'm being smug as hell.
You lose.

@Murder Mystery RtD
The most important thing to consider here is the mystery aspect. At a basic level, this means that someone knows something that someone else doesn't. In a murder mystery, people are being killed and everyone is trying to figure out whodunnit. This means we need a jury that the potential murderers are trying to convince of their innocence. We could make the jury a set of NPCs and have a quantifiable set of rules governing their suspicion of each player, but that really takes the fun out of the finger-pointing. We need a jury of real people, and that could easily be made the audience's role.

I like the idea of the audience having a limited view of everything going on, while the players see everything from their perspective and submit actions through PM. But we still have the problem of the audience already being pretty damn sure that ALL of the players are murderers. It's not a question of whodunnit anymore. There has to be another layer of motives. Maybe not all the players are murderers? Maybe there are also players that are there to steal a certain item, or some other strange goal?

Any idea how we can justify the audience jury and give the players something to shift blame for?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile

If we're doing things by PM's anyway, who says some of the players can't be innocent or detectives trying to catch the murderers?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

@Murder Mystery RtD
The most important thing to consider here is the mystery aspect. At a basic level, this means that someone knows something that someone else doesn't. In a murder mystery, people are being killed and everyone is trying to figure out whodunnit. This means we need a jury that the potential murderers are trying to convince of their innocence. We could make the jury a set of NPCs and have a quantifiable set of rules governing their suspicion of each player, but that really takes the fun out of the finger-pointing. We need a jury of real people, and that could easily be made the audience's role.

I like the idea of the audience having a limited view of everything going on, while the players see everything from their perspective and submit actions through PM. But we still have the problem of the audience already being pretty damn sure that ALL of the players are murderers. It's not a question of whodunnit anymore. There has to be another layer of motives. Maybe not all the players are murderers? Maybe there are also players that are there to steal a certain item, or some other strange goal?

Any idea how we can justify the audience jury and give the players something to shift blame for?

Right now, I'm thinking CSI- basically, you have an array of suspects, most of whom are guilty of something, whether it is infidelity or larceny or extortion or what have you. The thing is, only one is guilty of murder, and that's the only one the audience/jury is terribly concerned with. Thus, the goal of the game for the players is not to be blameless, but to escape with as little blame as possible. For bonus points, different motives could lead to different victory conditions- Alice is the murderer and only wants to avoid murder, but Bob would rather do time for murder than have the jury find out that he was cheating on his wife, and Charlie didn't actually do anything and considers any arrest a loss. The goal for the audience is to catch the murderer, and the rest is just bonus points.

Further thought- how is the audience determining guilt? Are they going solely on witness testimony (the admittedly biased opinions of the players?) Do they have that limited window of "certain knowledge" to act on? Is there an investigator that uncovers evidence?

Oooh, actually, expanding on that investigator bit- every player has done something bad, and there is evidence of that wrongdoing somewhere in the museum. The players are the investigators as well, searching for evidence related to their crimes as well as evidence related to others- they have the option to hide evidence they find, reveal it to everyone, or try to alter it. This covers people trying to create an alibi by planting evidence supporting it and removing evidence that contradicts it- for example, the Murderer finds evidence related to the Theft crime, and alters it to make it appear the Murderer was responsible instead of the actual thief. Or the Murderer straight removes evidence of the murder and creates proof he was smoking in the Lounge that night. I'm thinking a certain number of players (at least one) ARE innocent, just wrong place wrong time, and play the role of investigator straight to clear themselves.

Figuring out how much (and what kind) of evidence gets left behind could be tricky, perhaps tied to how well players roll during the Murder stage. If it's directly 1-1 for wherever the players roll poorly, they'll know where to look for evidence. I think were I to do it I'd keep a running log of all the 1's and/or 2's throughout the phase, and then in the early morning right before the Accusation stage generate evidence correlating to their number of failures and give the player a Reflection check to see how much evidence they KNOW they left behind.

Well! I ran on a bit there, didn't I?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Why not make a separate "evidence" roll that is kept hidden from the players?  That way, the smart/paranoid player is always checking behind themselves.

Example:

1:  Something obviously incriminating that no amount of hiding is going to reasonably conceal [An axe-shaped hole in the wall with half their jacket sleeve in it]
2:  Something incriminating [A fingerprint]
3:  Evidence that something happened [A bloodstain]
4:  Something very minor to nothing, depending on severity of action [Nothing for swiping someone's hat, a fiber strand for murder]
5:  Nothing
6:  Either nothing or something that might falsely incriminate someone else [Something you actually want left behind, so don't disturb it!]

The 3-4 stuff may or may not be found when checking an area.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

That is a good idea.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

That is a good idea.
This is true.

However, if that idea would be used, it may be tweaked a bit so players who speculate can't easily discern the true intentions of the dice.

Like hidden mechanics!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Make a table for 1-6 where you roll on which leads to six tables of evidence mechanics.

Table in a table. Reroll table every turn.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

Wait, Dexexe? Oh hey, he did some art for a card game I ran and failed!

So yeah, he's a good artist.

Just saying
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Does anyone know Father Ted?

I think Roll to be a Priest has knocked Roll to Shaman off the top of my list of next rtds.

edit: (think Michael Bay (wasn't me who brought him up) does rural Irish Catholicism) (sorry, that's what my rtd would be like, rather than what Father Ted is like)

(actually it would be a bit like
[21:30] <lawastooshort> Aha! Each episode there would be one main storyline, but each of the four priests would have different goals, and would score differently according to their possibly conflicting goals, and they would also have a Shameometer.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:30:37 pm by lawastooshort »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That sounds hilarious, even though I've only watched the first episode.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Shaolin Soccer- The RTD!

Unrelated, I decided to poke at my Ninja School idea more, and after some work I thought to stick my head in here and get some ideas. Specifically, ideas for crazy Ninja Abilities!

Right now I've got Substitution (Ninja Log shenanigans that hide the player,) Shadow Clone (start as just distracting illusions, levels up to give the player more attacks) and Flash Step (line of effect teleportation, dodge buffs?) I've also had some thoughts as far as the Screaming Makes You Stronger / Intimidating Pose thing that I haven't explored fully. There should probably be more than 3 skill trees- I'm not terribly versed in Ninja Lore, so those are the only generics I could come up with without further specifying what makes a Ninja. I'm fishing for suggestions- abilities need not be Ninja specific, just cool. As you can tell, I'm rolling with magic Naruto Ninjas instead of equipment based Batman Ninjas, but I'll be including gear too, so I'll take any thoughts along those lines as well.

I've been trying to come up with things that give a variety of meaningful benefits without necessitating a terribly complex system- I'm still working on "the game as she is played" but I foresee a focus on Resource Management (in this case, charges for your special abilities.)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Uh... Chi? And the things you write on paper and throw? And throwing star abilities?

Also, the law of ninjutsu preservation.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 661