Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 729671 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I am dumb and your systems are very complicated. Either that or I am just dumb. I am lazy enough not to do any math, so here is a simple calculation.
Death+Ships+Big Explosions+Not boring = Anglerfish fighting a sea cucumber.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Naw, your shield idea was perfect. I was so busy trying to figure out how to make shields work in conjunction with armor that I missed the most obvious and logical answer :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Yes, that's the only way to realistically create artificial gravity. It also allows people to protect reactors and other important things by stacking them on Deck 1
Actually, you can't create gravity that way. You have to either spin the ship round and round, or have a ship that has as much mass as a small moon.
>.>

Yes you can, you totally can. Exact same principle as the whole-ship spin method, but the concentric deck method usually only applies the spin (and thus the artificial gravity) to the areas where people are likely to go. The non-spinning portion of the ship, the central hub that all the decks are arranged around, would probably contain mostly mechanical systems.

But that of course brings the next marvelous point...

Jump-drives but no artificial gravity?

Edit: Ninja'd into partial irrelevance.
The reason there are jumpdrives is that waiting thousands of years to get to next star is boring, while being flung out of your ship due opening an airlock at the wrong moment is FUN. Also this game has momentum, which is seldomly seen in space games.
Sorry 10ebbor10, but your system is just a little complicated for my Arena RTD :P

I do like the idea of multiple players in a single ship though. Try that!
You think so.
And I might try it, but I'm going to rebalance/simplify/ finish the system first. Good luck with your game though. Maybe you should include internal damage.(If the enemies attack roll is double your armor roll, he breaches your armor and damages some internal part.)

Engines (Depending on the state a certain minus to dodge rolls)
Power generator(Minus to either weapons, dodge or shieldregenation(if appliable))
Weapons(Minus to attack)
Shield generator(Minus to regen)
Crew (Some crew dies. Maybe these should help in repairs)
Command (Minus to command action)
Nothing(Nothing special)

Edit: I just read you intended to do that.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Way ahead of ya :P

The damage roll includes things like crew damage (remember, if the entire crew dies you lose the battle), engine damage, bridge damage (lose Command skill), power generator (actually added after Caellath's suggestion, the shields won't regenerate next turn), shield generator (minus maximum shield power), even some effects that don't directly lower stats, such as a shaken officer (no special commands may be given next turn), stunned crew (the ship may take no actions), and the dreaded warp core breach (1d6 additional damage rolls, if an additional warp core breach is rolled, this ship is destroyed instantly).

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Sirus: Please reserve a spot for me. I would like to try a spaceship RP for once.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

Now, you could use that overly complex system orrr you could do something a lot simpler combatwise!

Assign each ship a number of Hull Points and Shield Dice (I am assuming that these shields regenerate...)-A small fighter may only have 20Hp and 1SD, but a Fuckhuge Battleship may have 500Hp and 15SD. Give every valid weapon a number of Weapon Dice-a little laser on that fighter may only be 1WD, but a Fuckhuge Ion Cannon may get 10WD.

To have a spacefight, basically, take all of the weapon dice from all of the weapons on your ship, roll them, take a total. This is your Weapon Total. Then roll the Shield Dice and get a total from that to get a Shield Total. Subtract your Shield Total from your foe's Weapon Total and subtract the resulting number from your HP.

If a fleet vs fleet battle happens, things get a bit more interesting. All involved ships get to pool their Weapon Dice and Shield Dice, meaning that theoretically, a large swarm of fighters could take on a Battleship. When it comes to assigning damage, you just apply as much as you can onto one ship until it explodes, then pile any leftover damage onto another ship etc. until you run out of damage or ships to explode.

...Not bad for a brainfart.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While that's a fine idea, I want to avert Critical Existence Failure as much as possible. An OMG-Huge battlecruiser would logically be blasted to a state of scrap long before it exploded, with various parts failing as more damage is sustained. It wouldn't simply be firing all guns in one moment, only to take a single missile and blow up the next.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

While that's a fine idea, I want to avert Critical Existence Failure as much as possible. An OMG-Huge battlecruiser would logically be blasted to a state of scrap long before it exploded, with various parts failing as more damage is sustained. It wouldn't simply be firing all guns in one moment, only to take a single missile and blow up the next.
Unless you happened to hit the wrapcore, of course.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unless you happened to hit the wrapcore, of course.
Touche :P

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

I must cross-post from the IRC this idea, for the sole purpose of enshrining it forever in the Roller's Block thread:

A RtD where the players are cats, and the players' actions must be submitted in the form of a lolcat image macro. The turn text would also be written in lolspeak.

That is all.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
>Yes?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gat what have you dooooone

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'd have to watch that thread. :3
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Agreed. I'd watch and/or participate in that.

Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 661