Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 729872 times)

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3870 on: March 27, 2012, 09:53:37 am »

Yah, I know, the more I delve into this, it just gets more ridiculous.

Which of course just makes it that much more badass
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

yousodumb

• Bay Watcher
  • The bringer of doom....and pancakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: March 27, 2012, 09:38:57 pm »

Hey everyone! Here's an RTD that I was told had some balance issues, I'd like some help getting this a bit better...

Spoiler: EORTD (click to show/hide)

Now here's where things start to get different:
Spoiler: overshoot rules (click to show/hide)

Other important things:
Spoiler: The world (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Gods (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The species (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Schools of magic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your story (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: items (click to show/hide)

I'll add more things as I think of them.

Personal rules: A d6 decides your species and your species decides which god you are aligned with. There are three goals in this game, The party goal is to free the gods from their prison, The personal goal is what the god originally created you to do, I'll give this to you in a PM, The private goal is for you to choose, it can be anything from rule a kingdom or start a bakery. In order to "win" all three goals must be completed. The sixth avatar is known as the Chaos avatar, and is chosen randomly, I will explain this to whoever lands this character. Being as you are created by gods, you can be as crazy as you personally wish, but don't be surprised if your team-mates don't want to revive you. Max players is 6, this can't increase, sorry. If you roll a [6] and have any positive multipliers, they are applied to the next non-overshoot roll. Penalties are subtracted last. Example: +4,  -3 [2+4=6] [8] [8-4=4] final result: failure.

To Enter: A character name.[/spoiler]
I'm not insulting you.... unless you think I am.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: March 27, 2012, 09:50:02 pm »

Well for one thing, there being a chance to instantly end the entire damn RTD every turn is a bit of a sour point, as is 'everyone turns into gods, plot instantly and irrevocably derails' bit. Just make it proportional, I guess. Tone it down from 'game enders' to 'hilarious side effects'

Kitsune seem to have a major leg up on everyone else too. +4 to one magic and neutral on all others when everyone else gets a -2? Doesn't that seem... Y'know, overpowered?

(Yes, I know you're building upon the faulty version I transferred over to MSPA a few years ago. I have learned since then.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:52:12 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

yousodumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: March 27, 2012, 09:57:38 pm »

Well for one thing, there being a chance to instantly end the entire damn RTD every turn is a bit of a sour point, as is 'everyone turns into gods, plot instantly and irrevocably derails' bit. Just make it proportional, I guess. Tone it down from 'game enders' to 'hilarious side effects'

Kitsune seem to have a major leg up on everyone else too. +4 to one magic and neutral on all others when everyone else gets a -2? Doesn't that seem... Y'know, overpowered?

(Yes, I know you're building upon the faulty version I transferred over to MSPA a few years ago. I have learned since then.)

I'll do a bit of scalling on the dice rolls, How about +3 on one magic school -1 to all others?

agentorangesoda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: March 27, 2012, 09:58:47 pm »

This from the person whose entire modus operandi in the recent alter your life game was derailing and destroying every single connection to the original plot, ending the world in the process.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: March 27, 2012, 09:59:15 pm »

Sounds better, yeah. Might need more tweaking, I dunno, someone more experienced want to step in?

And yes. Yes it is. And it worked. But success still has more god damned points in the face of no sun, a sudden black hole, ruined society, and eldritch horrors. What's a guy gotta do to ruin a mans life, explode his balls?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:01:36 pm by dermonster »
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: March 27, 2012, 10:00:30 pm »

Yeah. Woe to dermonster. I was trying to be a fair player of team failure after all.

Skills:
Blatant Lies +3 exp.

Edit: We should try exploding Jack's balls if the game does not finish this turn.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:24:28 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: March 27, 2012, 10:01:49 pm »

This from the person whose entire modus operandi in the recent alter your life game was derailing and destroying every single connection to the original plot, ending the world in the process.

But it helps the original plot by keeping with the wincon.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:41:04 am by Tiruin »

yousodumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: March 27, 2012, 10:26:26 pm »

How's this for the overshoots?
[/spoiler]

Spoiler: overshoot rules (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: March 27, 2012, 10:28:11 pm »

What will you even do if someone rolls on the d100 chart?

yousodumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: March 27, 2012, 10:29:45 pm »

What will you even do if someone rolls on the d100 chart?

how about I cut it off at 20?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: March 27, 2012, 11:38:22 pm »

I'll do a bit of scalling on the dice rolls, How about +3 on one magic school -1 to all others?
It seems to me that every other race gets +2 to two things and then a diplomacy penalty, or +2 to something of their choice and then no diplomacy penalty. Kitsune get +4 to one thing of their choice, +2 to four other things, then a diplomacy bonus.

A "balanced" kitsune would likely get +2 to a magic school of their choice and then not suffer diplomacy penalties. Unless I'm misunderstanding what a profession encompasses.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: March 28, 2012, 12:02:56 am »

Well for one thing, there being a chance to instantly end the entire damn RTD every turn is a bit of a sour point, as is 'everyone turns into gods, plot instantly and irrevocably derails' bit.

Just wanted to point out, the chance of even triggering that fourth overshoot is 1 in 5,760, and the chance of getting the instant game-end result is less than 1 in 100,000. If someone manages to get that spectacularly unlucky, then blowing up the world doesn't seem that unreasonable.

(Yes, I registered just to say that. XD)

I would also note that having a final overshoot table seems unnecessary, considering how completely unlikely it is. (Not to mention, where are you going to come up with 100 meaningful consequences of that scale?) Also, having normal results in the overshoot tables feels a touch anticlimactic. I'd suggest keeping each overshoot at a D6, but removing the more mediocre results as you go along. (For instance, remove meager success and normal success from the first overshoot, remove those plus critical success and failure from the second overshoot, and so on...) That way each successive overshoot means a guaranteed increase in how dramatic the end result will be.

(Take that paragraph with a grain of salt though, considering I haven't actually played in an RTD here... although I have lurked for longer than you might suspect.)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: March 28, 2012, 12:04:15 am »

I did the math almost a year ago to the day at the start of this thread.
Quote from: dermonster
also I think we wont ever get to the d100 if we ever use it, or even off of the third overshoot table. very unlikely

maths is 1/6 x 1/8 x 1/10 x 1/12 x 1/20=

0.166666667 x 0.125 x 0.1 x 0.0833333333 x 0.05 = 8.68055557 × 10-6

I posted at midnight just to say that

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:07:59 am by dermonster »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: March 28, 2012, 01:09:43 am »

I would also note that having a final overshoot table seems unnecessary, considering how completely unlikely it is. (Not to mention, where are you going to come up with 100 meaningful consequences of that scale?) Also, having normal results in the overshoot tables feels a touch anticlimactic. I'd suggest keeping each overshoot at a D6, but removing the more mediocre results as you go along. (For instance, remove meager success and normal success from the first overshoot, remove those plus critical success and failure from the second overshoot, and so on...) That way each successive overshoot means a guaranteed increase in how dramatic the end result will be.
These are good points. I'd say go with this.

Of course, even the third overshoot table is only ~3% likely, so they'd have to ramp up rather severely to be meaningful.

(Take that paragraph with a grain of salt though, considering I haven't actually played in an RTD here... although I have lurked for longer than you might suspect.)
Well, now that you've officially registered that's a problem you can easily fix. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 661