Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 726820 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3495 on: March 04, 2012, 06:45:52 pm »

Or anything with force nullification properties.
You called?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: March 04, 2012, 06:46:42 pm »

A mage is a party member who uses magic to heal people and shoot fireballs all over the place. A Jedi is a superhuman who can fly, use telekinesis, shoot lightning from his fingertips, trick people with psychic suggestion, run at super speed, and carry around a bitchin' laser sword.
How is that something that mages cannot do?

Heck, mages can even do things that Jedi cannot do (polymorph, make entire creatures, use Ice, use earth), and yet, people still play non-mages.

So yes, it's certainly feasible to have people in the party who aren't Jedi, but the Jedi players are just going to end up stealing all the glory and outclassing the others. The point of an adventurer party in a RPG is that everyone fills a role. Having a member of the party who's simply better than everyone else at everything undermines that.
Of course. There are plenty of places for non-jedi:
Engineers, snipers, skirmishers, pilots, grenadier, anti-armor, stealth...

There are plenty of roles.

A Jedi is nothing but the best qualities of all three of those without any of the drawbacks. There's no way to balance them without removing what makes them cool in the first place.
Oh, you're going for 'cool' (which does not include 'fun', I might add). I can't argue with you further then.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3497 on: March 04, 2012, 07:02:47 pm »

I'm not saying that they're immune because they're cool. I'm saying that it's extremely difficult to include them without alienating the other players. It's a mage that isn't physically weak. It's a fighter that can use magic. If you include it as a class, you have to severely limit it to make sure it's balanced. And then it's not the same anymore.

The trick to writing a good RPG campaign is to make sure all the players are having fun. The best way to do that is to make everyone feels like they're contributing. The best way to do that is to make sure that they can contribute. When one player can take the role of fighter, mage and thief simultaneously and is vastly more powerful than the others, they're not having fun because their role isn't important anymore.

I'm not telling anyone that they can't include Jedi. You just have to be careful and limit them just enough to make them a normal character class. If you don't, any class that's created just to be outside the Jedi's ability set will be too niche to be useful that often.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: March 04, 2012, 08:20:47 pm »

Or make them specialize in certain force techniques. Because learning how to throw things around would take a lot of practice, so it would make sense that they wouldn't have time to practice mind control.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: March 04, 2012, 08:54:22 pm »

Perhaps have them also be more "Higher profile" than the mundane guys. Meaning 75% of the bullets will go after them.

You could also give the Jedi a tradeoff: They can specialize in the same things as mundane people, and will do slightly better, but they can only specialize in one thing, and a specialized non-Jedi is better than a non-specialized Jedi.

For example: Jedi A is specialized in in Engineering. He is slightly better than Engineer A. But only slightly.
However, Jedi B is specialized in Healing but not in Engineering. He is without a doubt worse than Engineer A.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3500 on: March 04, 2012, 09:33:08 pm »

What if "Jedi" wasn't a class at all? A character of any class could learn Jedi abilities if they focused on it, but there's a limited amount. You could follow different paths on a skill tree, and some of the skills on the tree just happen to be typical Jedi skills.

For instance, one character could go the way of the traditional Jedi and choose Super Dexterity (skill to use a lightsaber without cutting your own arm off), Super Jumping, Projectile Lightning, etc. as they leveled up. But another could choose skills related to engineering, choosing abilities to allow them to hack electronics and build laser weaponry, but also choose a single Jedi-related ability like Jedi Mind Trick at one point.

That way, the abilities aren't limited to one OP character class and anyone can mix and match Jedi stuff with more utilitarian skills.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: March 04, 2012, 09:45:23 pm »

Monks don't use (laser) swords.

You haven't been in my apartment.

RE: Jedi- I've gotta agree with Gat on this one. Having 75% of the bullets go after the Jedi doesn't help when the Jedi can deflect them with their sweet laser sword, and that's just another way of saying "The Jedi is more important than the rest of the party, and they are unimportant." Which isn't helped by the story, since Jedi ARE more respected and awesome than everyone else by default. There's a reason any game that has Jedi in it tends to run heavy on the cortosis ore when it wants to be challenging.

Were I to do it, I would definitely enforce an "All Jedi or No Jedi" rule, and I'd probably decide which before I even started in order to write a plot that plays to the different power levels involved.

NINJA!

Actually, that's probably the better way to do it. Just eliminate classes altogether, and institute a tree of skills/abilities. Part of the reason Jedi Knights are awesome is because they've been training since they were 8, increasing their abilities, learning diplomacy, all that fun stuff.

I think the big thing there would be to make sure the skill tree itself is balanced- it isn't just that Jedi abilities are powerful because they are a package deal, but because Force powers are inherently awesome. "I have enough telekinetic ability to lift a gallon of milk with the Force, which is more than enough to crush your windpipe." Unless you can dodge the Force, which is just strange to me.

/ramble

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: March 04, 2012, 09:49:26 pm »

(DnD joke) Only duelists can dodge the Force.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: March 04, 2012, 10:27:55 pm »

Unless you make anti-jedi. Or anything with force nullification properties. Or tanks.
No, no, no. "Jedi win, unless there's Anti-Jedi in which case they lose" is a horrible, horrible balancing strategy. Unbalanced things need to be balanced, not have things which are unbalanced in the opposite direction occasionally thrown at them.

Perhaps have them also be more "Higher profile" than the mundane guys. Meaning 75% of the bullets will go after them.
Also bad, both for the reasons Gatleos mentioned and the ones I just did.

That way, the abilities aren't limited to one OP character class and anyone can mix and match Jedi stuff with more utilitarian skills.
Ideal but hard to pull off, since you have to come up with discrete, roughly balanced abilities for, well, everything.

There's also issues regarding someone who doesn't want to be a Jedi having access to stuff it's hard to say no to for what they're trying to do. A diplomat could gain a lot from mind-related powers, a smuggler could really use the ability to hurl themselves up onto ledges, etc.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: March 04, 2012, 10:40:47 pm »

It also makes the whole party potentially Force-sensitive, which is odd for flavor reasons.

Although that last bit is just a matter of providing viable, equally useful alternatives to Jedi superpowers. That phrase is why I'd still limit either Jedi or Non, but for the sake of argument- consider the diplomat example. A diplomat could either take the "mind control mook" power, or a similar ability that is less potent but works on those who aren't simpletons/clones. A smuggler could choose from Jedi Superjumping or Boba Fetts Jetpack, which is mechanically more prone to failure and difficult to disguise but is also, y'know a freakin Jetpack.

It'd be hard as hell to implement and balance, but it could theoretically be done. For my time and effort I'd still say "All Jedi or None."

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: March 04, 2012, 10:41:41 pm »

I started up my lucid dreaming game if anyone's interested.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: March 04, 2012, 10:49:37 pm »

Just have everyone be a Jedi, but add a second thing as like... a hobby.

Just cause you got telekinesis don't mean you can't dissect electrical items and such in your spare time.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: March 04, 2012, 11:08:51 pm »

I don't see how that deals with the problem of people not wanting to be Jedi.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3508 on: March 04, 2012, 11:15:47 pm »

Ideal but hard to pull off, since you have to come up with discrete, roughly balanced abilities for, well, everything.

There's also issues regarding someone who doesn't want to be a Jedi having access to stuff it's hard to say no to for what they're trying to do. A diplomat could gain a lot from mind-related powers, a smuggler could really use the ability to hurl themselves up onto ledges, etc.
It would be pretty difficult to balance, yes. But it lends a lot more flavor to the player party when they can specialize in mechanics, or laser weaponry, or any other non-Jedi skill. Lumping it all into a point-based system is the best way I can think of to do it; the goal is to allow for players to pick and choose Jedi powers, or choose none at all.

And like monk mentioned, this also requires non-force-powered alternatives for at least most Jedi powers. A player should be able to forgo anything force-related and still be just as useful those who chose them.
It also makes the whole party potentially Force-sensitive, which is odd for flavor reasons.
When it really comes down to it, I'd heartily obliterate Star Wars canon for the sake of fun. Want to be a Wookiee Jedi, even though they tend to not be force-sensitive? Go ahead! In my Star Wars universe, anyone can learn force powers!

Of course, after a certain point of ignoring canon to make the game more fun, it might as well just be a super hero RtD with customizable powers. It's the Star Wars flavor that makes it what it is.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:19:02 pm by Gatleos »
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: March 04, 2012, 11:17:35 pm »

I don't see how that deals with the problem of people not wanting to be Jedi.

Hands up, who here doesn't want to be a psychic paladin with a laser sword?

The answer is three times as many hands as there are people.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 661