Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 726812 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3480 on: March 04, 2012, 03:10:19 pm »

Monks don't use (laser) swords.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: March 04, 2012, 03:13:38 pm »

Cheddar monks do.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: March 04, 2012, 04:11:13 pm »

I WANT TO BE A DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOID who is somehow force sensitive DON'T QUESTION MY LACK OF MIDICHLORIANS i have a midichlorian tank

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: March 04, 2012, 04:18:49 pm »

I want to be an ysalamir.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3484 on: March 04, 2012, 04:44:15 pm »

Whenever I thought of suggesting a Star Wars RtD, I assumed someone had already tried it.

I would be whatever race Bossk is.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: March 04, 2012, 04:47:07 pm »

You link to the wiki and don't even know it?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3486 on: March 04, 2012, 05:26:02 pm »

I suppose a Star Trek RtD could work too, though I think more people would be excited for Star Wars-related shenanigans. But that preference would be less about "an interesting and vibrant universe with rich history and character possibilities" and more about "OMG LASER SWORDS AND PSYCHIC POWERS!!"

The first rule of Star Wars RPGs of any kind, of course, is that the players must make a choice: either everyone is a Jedi, or no one is. It's the only way. So obviously they'll choose the former. That's better for the GM anyway, because the thought of a point-based system where players get to choose their force powers just gave me a GMgasm.

I predict, however, that a Star Wars RtD thread would immediately fall apart the moment someone tries to sign up as a Gungan. :P
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: March 04, 2012, 05:29:26 pm »

I'd be fine with being the only non-jedi in the group. Not like they are anything special around yslamir.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: March 04, 2012, 05:59:43 pm »

The first rule of Star Wars RPGs of any kind, of course, is that the players must make a choice: either everyone is a Jedi, or no one is. It's the only way. So obviously they'll choose the former. That's better for the GM anyway, because the thought of a point-based system where players get to choose their force powers just gave me a GMgasm.
I disagree. It's like telling a bunch of people in an RTD to either all be mages or nobody will be mages. It's just absurd and a sign that the GM can't be bothered to even work out a non-magic combat system.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3489 on: March 04, 2012, 06:15:09 pm »

I disagree. It's like telling a bunch of people in an RTD to either all be mages or nobody will be mages. It's just absurd and a sign that the GM can't be bothered to even work out a non-magic combat system.
A mage is a party member who uses magic to heal people and shoot fireballs all over the place. A Jedi is a superhuman who can fly, use telekinesis, shoot lightning from his fingertips, trick people with psychic suggestion, run at super speed, and carry around a bitchin' laser sword.

So yes, it's certainly feasible to have people in the party who aren't Jedi, but the Jedi players are just going to end up stealing all the glory and outclassing the others. The point of an adventurer party in a RPG is that everyone fills a role. Having a member of the party who's simply better than everyone else at everything undermines that.

I'd love to hear your suggestion for how to balance things, but as it stands Jedi are too overpowered to work in an adventurer party and too cool to nerf. That's the reasoning behind the rule.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: March 04, 2012, 06:23:14 pm »

Jedi- Flunkee?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: March 04, 2012, 06:26:52 pm »

I would play as a non-jedi, myself. But only because Han is cooler than Anakin, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Luke, Mace, Yoda, and everyone else with a lightsaber. Except Plo Koon, he's mah boy. >.>
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: March 04, 2012, 06:31:07 pm »

A mage is a party member who uses magic to heal people and shoot fireballs all over the place. A Jedi is a superhuman who can fly, use telekinesis, shoot lightning from his fingertips, trick people with psychic suggestion, run at super speed, and carry around a bitchin' laser sword.

So yes, it's certainly feasible to have people in the party who aren't Jedi, but the Jedi players are just going to end up stealing all the glory and outclassing the others. The point of an adventurer party in a RPG is that everyone fills a role. Having a member of the party who's simply better than everyone else at everything undermines that.

I'd love to hear your suggestion for how to balance things, but as it stands Jedi are too overpowered to work in an adventurer party and too cool to nerf. That's the reasoning behind the rule.
While completely missing the fact that that's exactly what spellcasters tend to do in RPGs.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3493 on: March 04, 2012, 06:39:31 pm »

While completely missing the fact that that's exactly what spellcasters tend to do in RPGs.
Wizards are this, yes, but they're also this. The simplest type of adventurer group is Fighter, Mage, Thief. The fighter deals melee damage, and soaks up damage, the mage heals and attacks from afar, and the thief backstabs and talks the party out of tough diplomatic situations.

A Jedi is nothing but the best qualities of all three of those without any of the drawbacks. There's no way to balance them without removing what makes them cool in the first place.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: March 04, 2012, 06:42:38 pm »

Unless you make anti-jedi. Or anything with force nullification properties. Or tanks.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 661