Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 726707 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3465 on: February 27, 2012, 07:32:29 am »

Isn't Irony fixing up some mechanics on the two he's GM'ing? They're still active, and the wait is fine (well, with me though) as long as it doesn't collapse on itself.

Edit: When does one make a roll if GM anyway? Based on actions of the player? Like if it's a conversation with an NPC in a free-form RTD, is there a roll made depending on the reaction? Or if it's a RP RTD, should there be a roll there too, or based on the personality?

Is a roll made on the weather of a day, if the GM wants to include such? Assuming it isn't quickly changing, I mean by the subtle shift in weather if time is included as a factor. Is a roll made when bonuses are needed to be included? How is death seen in an RTD, excluding deathmatch types?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:35:30 am by Tiruin »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: February 27, 2012, 07:43:05 am »

Well, I guess it depends. It makes most sense to roll for every significant action or interaction, but then again you don't want to do too many. If a [6] or a [1] really is a bad thing, you don't want to make so many rolls that one or the other is practically guaranteed, I think. As for the weather, or random events, well - that's up to you. Like the rest, really.

Death: well. Make it awesome or make it fair, from my GMing point of view. From a player point of view, I suppose it depends how much you are expecting it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: February 27, 2012, 07:53:40 am »

Isn't Irony fixing up some mechanics on the two he's GM'ing? They're still active, and the wait is fine (well, with me though) as long as it doesn't collapse on itself.
The wait is subjective. I honestly don't want to wait for too long.

And another problem with waiting is that it is a VERY dangerous procrastination trap.

Edit: When does one make a roll if GM anyway? Based on actions of the player? Like if it's a conversation with an NPC in a free-form RTD, is there a roll made depending on the reaction? Or if it's a RP RTD, should there be a roll there too, or based on the personality?
I... don't understand. Perhaps you should reword it, your question is... confusing.

Is a roll made on the weather of a day, if the GM wants to include such? Assuming it isn't quickly changing, I mean by the subtle shift in weather if time is included as a factor.
I'm not quite sure of what you're asking in this, but rolls in weather is completely up to you unless it gives negative/positive effects. Nobody is going to shout at you angrily if you make a sudden snowstorm in a desert. Maybe some shouts of disbelief, but otherwise, nobody should care.

Is a roll made when bonuses are needed to be included?
...What? Don't you just add bonuses to the rolls? I don't understand...

How is death seen in an RTD, excluding deathmatch types?
I'm not speaking for everyone, but in my eyes it can vary depending on several factors: How sudden it is, how difficult it was to avoid, how much effort the player put into his character, how long the waiting list is, how much fun the player is having, if the death is intentional or expected by the player, and how much "losing is Fun" attitude the player has.

If players can see death coming, the blow is more of a sadness than shock, frustration and possibly anger. The former is generally better if you can help it.
If it was easy to avoid, the players can only blame themselves. If it was impossible to avoid, then you are the only party to blame. It's generally better to get the former if you know what I mean. But don't go too extreme making death extremely easy to avoid or people will get bored.
If the player put zero effort into his or her character, then they generally won't care. If it took hours, then they'll be pretty upset.
If the waiting list is empty, the player will generally be less sad than if the waiting list is as large as the player list or more.
If the player isn't having fun, they won't care if they die. If the player is having fun, then they'll be upset.
If the player is planning the death, the death usually won't effect them.
And finally, if the player just plain likes or dislikes dying they will like or dislike dying. There is no way to affect this, it's just someone's personality.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:55:41 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: February 28, 2012, 03:49:49 am »

I just realized something. Irony, I highly suggest you don't start it. Because that would leave you with 3 RTDs to GM. Talarion tried that before. All 3 RTDs crumbled. 3 RTDs is an incredible workload.
You're not gonna like that I've worked out a better crafting mechanic for a DF RTD then. :P

I did warn you that rebooting/remaking/sequeling my mage game might not be a guarantee, though I don't think anyone could have imagined this. More to the point, I've gotta go with whatever I've got the inspiration and drive for, be that too many RTDs at once or tough decisions on which ones are feasible.

Everything's still pretty undecided at the moment, though.

Tarran mostly answered this, but the basic answer is "whatever the GM feels appropriate." Some people just freeform conversations, some people have diplomacy/reaction rolls, some people combine the two. Some people generate NPCs as they wish, some people have luck/helpfulness/hostility rolls, some people combine the two. There are sometimes better or worse ways to do things, but there isn't really any kind of unified standard regarding "when do I roll dice?"
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: March 03, 2012, 05:19:45 pm »

Has anyone read the comic The Boys? Five is a good number for an rtd too. It would be difficult to pull off well but gosh it could be excellent.

Edit: to clarify, a revenge driven cia backed covert war against superheroes.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:42:29 pm by lawastooshort »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3470 on: March 03, 2012, 10:53:18 pm »

A RtD based on:

Slapstick vaudeville routines. The players struggle through endless situational irony and physical comedy, being guided forward by the disembodied soul of Groucho Marx.

Professional wrestling. Players choose a wrestling name and gimmick, then fight in the ring against each other and a cast of colorful NPC wrestlers as they manage their heat and try to make it big.
Star Wars

Spaghetti Westerns! Have we ever even had one of these? It's a gold mine of awesomeness. Is your party of players the Three Amigos or the Magnificent Seven? You decide!

Dick Tracy detective noir. Calm hysterical dames and fight villains with horrible physical disfigurations.

Blaxploitation

Keep the spirit of ill-advised creative vision alive!
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: March 03, 2012, 11:30:07 pm »

I can see myself playing Roll to Lucha- the players have to use their wits and sweet wrestling skills to defeat a quirky miniboss squad and finally unmask the Evil Overlord Luchador, thus shaming him into permanent exile.

EDIT: Oooh, hit points are really just a measure of how close your mask is to falling off. By extension, healing is just straightening out your mask.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:33:10 pm by monk12 »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3472 on: March 03, 2012, 11:59:01 pm »

I can see myself playing Roll to Lucha- the players have to use their wits and sweet wrestling skills to defeat a quirky miniboss squad and finally unmask the Evil Overlord Luchador, thus shaming him into permanent exile.

EDIT: Oooh, hit points are really just a measure of how close your mask is to falling off. By extension, healing is just straightening out your mask.
Yeah, I thought of that when I said pro wrestling. :P

The players could invent crazy suplex and turnbuckle moves, and appeal to some sort of imaginary crowd for bonuses and healing. I would run this kind of madness if I were up to it right now.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: March 04, 2012, 12:04:38 am »

This is gold, right here.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: March 04, 2012, 12:26:04 am »

I know who I'd play as!

Because lord knows I can't run it. And yes, I know I said that before I started the Hidden Temple RTD, but this time I mean it! Nothing new until I finish something I started, dammit!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: March 04, 2012, 05:24:13 am »

Slapstick vaudeville routines. The players struggle through endless situational irony and physical comedy, being guided forward by the disembodied soul of Groucho Marx.

Two teams of Laurel and Hardy-alikes battling it out to remove a piano with the least amount of slapstick injury?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: March 04, 2012, 02:33:00 pm »

Star Wars
Everyone loves lightsaber duels and lightning. And telekinetically throwing both living and nonliving things into other living or nonliving things. And mindraping mook guards who are in too crowded an area to simply murder. And cheating at games of chance for a good cause. And smuggling space drugs. And starfighters. And sage philosophical advice from wizened masters which most players promptly ignore because POWER! UN-LIM-ITED POWER!

I'm just gonna add this to my "Why has this not yet been done?!" list.

Spaghetti Westerns! Have we ever even had one of these? It's a gold mine of awesomeness. Is your party of players the Three Amigos or the Magnificent Seven? You decide!
Good concept, but seems too simple for my tastes. Needs some wizards or something.

Dick Tracy detective noir. Calm hysterical dames and fight villains with horrible physical disfigurations.
The issue here is that I see most potential players asking when they get to become a horribly disfigured villain.

That said, with a master storyteller *cough* you this could probably be fascinating and cheesy enough to be truly great.

Blaxploitation
I see no part of this that doesn't fit with RTD rules and mindsets perfectly.

Well, I guess the dialogue might be a bit offensive. But still.

Keep the spirit of ill-advised creative vision alive!
Well now I'm sad that I'm having trouble coming up with a system for that... project I mentioned earlier. The solution is probably to make it simpler. :-\
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:35:28 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: March 04, 2012, 02:43:24 pm »

Star Wars? If one can be a non-sith aligned dark jedi, I'm as good as in.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: March 04, 2012, 03:02:13 pm »

Evil wizard paladin? I'm in.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: March 04, 2012, 03:09:12 pm »

The word you're looking for is "Monk"
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 661