Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727169 times)

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3225 on: January 06, 2012, 12:00:43 am »

Sounds fun. I want a slot.
Also: Derm is now apparently a term used for... well, doing like Derm.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: January 06, 2012, 12:10:06 am »

One that came to me on the porcelain throne:

Roll to Loot

Everyone knows gamers love getting phat lewt, right?  Why not base a whole RTD on it?

Each player is an adventurer seeking the phattest of lewt.  A turn consists of swapping around your gear and selecting a place to adventure.  Adventuring consists of rolling modifiers based on your gear and seeing if you beat a certain number based on the difficulty of the location.  Failure results in a penalty dependant on the location.  Success gets you a randomly generated piece of loot (think Diablo) with better loot being available at harder locations.

The loot generation would be the centerpiece, and it'd be based on a series of tables.  For example, you'd first roll on the rarity of the item, which determines the number of modifiers.  Each modifier would be rolled to determine the type (damage, accuracy, defense, etc) then potency (from minor negative to big plus).  The player would then decide to equip the new loot or chuck it.  There'd be a small (3-5) inventory to keep a couple items if the player wasn't sure which to keep.

The goal would be to accumulate phat enough lewt to complete the final encounter, whereupon that player wins.

Thoughts?
Reserve me a spot if you make it!

Quote from: Powder Miner
Reserve me a spot if you make it!
No, MY SPOT! I want the loot!

Quote from: Powder Miner
No, MY SPOT! I want the loot!
GIT OUT! YE TWO FREELOADERS BE KNOWIN' THAT GOLD THERE'S MINE!

[/preemptive spot arguing]

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: January 06, 2012, 12:22:15 am »

Sounds fun. I want a slot.
Also: Derm is now apparently a term used for... well, doing like Derm.
:D

I have a gameplay term named after me. My life is one step closer to completion.

Next random item: Cause a GM to physically burst into tears.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: January 06, 2012, 12:25:24 am »

Well, if you are taking pre-ins me too. In the meantime, good luck with refining.

Also Derm, you still need to make that RTD. Dooooo it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: January 06, 2012, 12:29:58 am »

Craaaaaaap.
Remind me at 4pm Minnesota time tomorrow.

I don't even know how to get started... Hmm...

Anyway, it is time for sleeeeeep.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: January 06, 2012, 12:44:41 am »

Save me a slot if you do get that going, Derm. I'll be sure to remind you tomorrow, too.
Sometime around... oh, 2ish, minnesota time.

Also: Derm, I regularly make one of the DMs I know cry. Just for him, I cripple my characters intentionally in combat, except in a single facet. My current character's endgame renders him nigh-unkillable in combat except with a Macross Missile Massacre style magic barrage, but he'll be about as dangerous as a paper cut, and close to completely immobile.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: January 06, 2012, 01:59:56 am »

Cry tears of joy, or sadness?
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: January 06, 2012, 02:15:29 am »

Sorrow. And rage.
When he asked, at level 3, what my AC was and I said "27", watching him cry was awesome. Revealing the fact that I was in hide armour? The cherry on top. (If you're curious: Dodge, tower shield, hide armour, combat expertise, 3 Dex). The goal we agreed I could shoot for was ~60 AC at end game. I figured out how to get 75+, but when I told him that he looked like my character would die on the spot.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: January 06, 2012, 02:19:54 am »

Hmmmmmm. Interesting.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: January 06, 2012, 07:14:42 am »

Oh man. Oregon Trail RTD. Mix in some more ridiculous and creative elements and you've got gold.

Like rolling a [1] while hunting buffalo. Or trying to chop down a tree for a new wagon wheel. Or deciding standard-issue wagons don't carry enough armaments and wheel spikes for your needs.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: January 06, 2012, 07:20:56 am »

Out of interest Gatleos, and bearing in mind I'm only about halfway through reading it, what was broken about it?
Mostly all the vagueness, but also the way bonuses to combat rolls were handled. Giving whole number bonuses for wielding weapons made things far too restrictive and reduced combat effectiveness to two possible states.

The better way to do this, I've found, is to have bonuses depend entirely on characters' abilities. Weapons, on the other hand, change the effect of an attack. So, two identical characters rolling the same on a combat roll, but with one wielding a sword, would get different results. The hand-to-hand fighter would get in a solid hit to the head, while the sword fighter might remove a limb.

The bigger problem was the wound system, which was too vague to actually do anything. If you look at the latest turn of RTRTD, you'll notice that Edgar has several large, bleeding wounds. He has done nothing to correct this, because the rules for wounds are too vaguely defined. They fail to create a sense of danger and urgency like they should.

The answer was the system I'm using in ERTD. Characters' health is measured on an absolute scale, and will drop quickly and kill them if they ignore it. It's clearly defined, and players know exactly how long they have to live. It creates a sense of urgency by clearly communicating that they are approaching death, and prevents even subconscious fudging by me by using an explicit number as a scale. The Endless RTD combat and wounds system is RTRTD 2.0, and will be transferred back when I resume RTRTD.

Also Derm.

Thanks very much for the reply Gatleos.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: January 06, 2012, 08:31:32 am »

Next random item: Cause a GM to physically burst into tears.
I may or may not already have already done that already.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: January 06, 2012, 09:02:32 am »

New goal: Cause a GM to physically burst into flame.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: January 06, 2012, 12:54:23 pm »

Does setting yourself on fire also count too if you're a GM?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3239 on: January 06, 2012, 04:56:29 pm »

Oh man. Oregon Trail RTD. Mix in some more ridiculous and creative elements and you've got gold.

Like rolling a [1] while hunting buffalo. Or trying to chop down a tree for a new wagon wheel. Or deciding standard-issue wagons don't carry enough armaments and wheel spikes for your needs.
I... wha... how... who... you...

How has nobody suggested this before?! How have I not suggested this before?! This is a perfect setting for an RTD! I looked, no one has even mentioned Oregon Trail on this board before. Somebody needs to make this right now.

[1] Dwarmin has contracted dysentery.
[1] The wagon capsizes in the river. 900 units of bacon lost.
[5] You shot five buffalo! You are only able to haul 100 pounds of the meat. Also, Taricus has contracted Dysentery.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 661