Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 729717 times)

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2715 on: December 05, 2011, 05:53:46 am »

Spoiler: The Mana Field (click to show/hide)

Well, that explains it... mostly.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: December 05, 2011, 06:24:06 am »

Can do a wide variety of things to one's mind and body. The Corruption can range from mental instability to physical disfigurement or alteration. The Corruption is especially feared because it cannot be reversed, with few creatures being powerful enough to act as an exception.
Yay, it's Westlands all over again. ;D
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: December 05, 2011, 06:52:36 am »

I did take inspiration from Westlands... I think. :P
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: December 05, 2011, 11:38:58 am »

My fixation on dragons have brought me to yet another dragon-based RTD. Instead of BEING a dragon you have to RAISE/USE a dragon. Pretty simple, really. Basic game just with some stats and such...Oh, and set in the real world in the 10th century. I've been reading Temeraire recently if anyone is wondering why I want it in the real world.

Anyone interested?

Course this could also work as a normal multiplayer forum game.

Sounds interesting, I would probably play this.

RTD or Forum Game, I'd be in. Blue Eyes White Dragon, I choose you!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: December 05, 2011, 03:50:13 pm »

My fixation on dragons have brought me to yet another dragon-based RTD. Instead of BEING a dragon you have to RAISE/USE a dragon. Pretty simple, really. Basic game just with some stats and such...Oh, and set in the real world in the 10th century. I've been reading Temeraire recently if anyone is wondering why I want it in the real world.

Anyone interested?

Course this could also work as a normal multiplayer forum game.

Sounds interesting, I would probably play this.

RTD or Forum Game, I'd be in. Blue Eyes White Dragon, I choose you!

Just give me some time to set up a post and do the stats. And it's not going to be an RTD so don't bother looking for it in the RTD section.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: December 05, 2011, 09:43:23 pm »

I had an idea that could be fun, happened upon me when I was looking over the short but sweet round based RTDs like Roll to Deathmatch and RTASL.

Roll to Movie

You take a movie genre (Horror, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Fantasy, Nature Documentary, etc) and each person gets to be one of the people in the movie. The twist? Who they are is decided by the dice, and believe me, you do NOT want to roll the zebra in a nature documentary.

Example,
Name of movie: Trainman Jack
Type: C Grade Horror Flick, low budget.
Story: The peaceful tranquility of the Town of Whereverville is shattered when the bodies of Job Bob and Bob Joe are found dead on the track of the Town's trainyard just days before it's planned demolition! As the bodies grow thick upon the ground the only woman to ever see the killer and live is forced to join forces with a mysterious stranger to end the bloody rampage of the infamous haunting of Whereverville... Trainman Jack.
Cast:
New in town stranger with troubled past (Hero) 
Young divorcee and waitress (Hero's Girl)
Grumpy Town Mayor (That guy who doubts ghosts and the hero)
Small town sheriff (That guy who sees shit get real and becomes the hero's lance)
The Jock's girlfriend who waited in the car after he went to the tracks (Obligatory horror babe)
The Jock who went to the traintracks on a bet (Yeah, okay, he's just here so we can tell people this a SERIOUS MOVIE in the first scene.)

The important part of this is that the Mortality rates of each character should be as they are in the movie.

IE.

Hero (10%)
Hero's Girl (20%)
Grumpy Town Mayor (75%)
Small town sheriff (80% but only to induce the Worf effect)
The Jock's girlfriend (90%)
The Jock (99%)

Points will be kept on a basis of how well the character was played and how well it was preserved. (Surviving with a Jock for instance should be both next to impossible and very rewarding in terms of points)

Simple 1d6 system, couple bonus points here and there, special abilities and special weaknesses given to each class.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: December 05, 2011, 09:58:54 pm »

Interesting! A lot of potential there- I know I'd play it.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: December 05, 2011, 10:04:53 pm »

I'd play just to see how that works.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: December 05, 2011, 10:07:16 pm »

I would definitely play that.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: December 05, 2011, 10:14:35 pm »

Yes. Yes I would.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: December 05, 2011, 11:16:11 pm »

Nitpicking: Pretty sure Hero's Girl is 1% or so. Small town sheriff is probably closer to 50%, by which I mean 10-20% unless he's racist (meaning he's up there with the jock) or extremely skeptical (meaning he's up there with the mayor).

Actual Stuff: Maintaining an interesting given mortality rate might be extremely hard. Like, the obvious way for the Jock to go would be to visit the train tracks and get knocked off immediately. How would he avoid that fate, and how would you keep his chances of kicking it up there afterwards? Would there be some sort of HP or roll-to-avoid-the-meat-hook system, with higher-fatality characters having worse stats? Or would the killer naturally gravitate towards them, either ad hoc or using some sort of weighted targeted system? Or would you just penalize characters who didn't act sufficiently stupid?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: December 05, 2011, 11:32:30 pm »

I would play as well. You have my sword, Draignean.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: December 05, 2011, 11:33:46 pm »

Yeah, the tricky part is having players stay kinda on script- sufficiently Genre Aware characters would just act differently, thus changing their role and improving their odds of success.

Actually... that would be awesome as the central mechanic. The players are all rolling to assume less lethal roles in the story- the Jock realizes being the Jock is a death sentence, so he tries to act like the socially-awkward-but-loveable geek instead, and how well he rolls determines whether he escapes the role.

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: December 06, 2011, 12:31:52 pm »

Has anyone here read Mr Norrel and Jonathan Strange? Because that would be one awesome setting, taking place just after the end of the book.
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: December 06, 2011, 01:54:38 pm »

Yeah, the tricky part is having players stay kinda on script- sufficiently Genre Aware characters would just act differently, thus changing their role and improving their odds of success.
That means I'm out then :V
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 661