Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728665 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2190 on: November 21, 2011, 01:45:11 am »

Hmm. Would we be basing our characters on ourselves, with a realistic strength and fault or two?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: November 21, 2011, 01:48:31 am »

It's like Keeping up with Bay12 when it comes to creating a character (Minus all of the shitty stuff that happened.)

You pretty much either play yourself, or how you act on the internet.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2192 on: November 21, 2011, 01:52:20 am »

That's what I was planning on. You'll be playing as yourself, on your way to a DF meetup convention. By no means should it be anything approaching realistic, though; we'll want some room for havoc.
You pretty much either play yourself, or how you act on the internet.
Also, this. Imagine if the Bay12 forumites acted in real life how they do on the forums and in the game, and had the skills to back it up. Actually, that's terrifying, never mind.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: November 21, 2011, 02:43:15 am »

Ack! Sorry, just watched the new Conan the Barbarian. Whilst it's not quite as good as the old 80's one, it's still pretty damn good. Once again, sorry for not quoting and replying to you guys, but...Yeesh, I'm exhausted. 1:32 AM...

Maybe I should make a "Roll to generic fantasy!"...Thanks, guy-whos-name-I-forgot! That actually sounds pretty good. And no, making an alternate account isn't my style. I hate ragdolls, it drives me nuts when people do that. And I thank you all for your encouragement and cupcakes, I'll make sure to repay you in kind. Except for the cupcakes, I can't bake.
I have the artistic value of a peanut, the wit of a seven-year dried prune and the ingenuity of a dead elf.
Oh come on, you can't be that bad.

I promise you, it's even worse than it seems. At my school, I was voted "Least likely to get raped". Most said it was because of a stale humor and endless nerdiness...

I also lack the confidence to make even a simple RTD, due to my (Almost ridiculous) fear of failure.
Force through it. While failure is definitely a possibility with RTDs, it didn't stop me from making my first, second, third, and fourth RTD. And do note that both my first, second, and third RTDs were/are all failures. Oh, and did I mention the bunch of normal forum games I've made and failed at? You have to muster your strength, and man up. Well, either that or make up an RTD then force yourself to press the post button. That's how all my RTDs have started, by the way.

I...I wish I could do as you have. Truly, you are a god among Bay12'ers...The problem is, I can't live up to most people's standards. Hell, I'm too afraid to even enter a coffee shop to buy a mocha, much less something like posting on Bay12! This site is terrifying, dude. As in, walking carp terrifying. I may give it a try, but I'm not good at stories. Except for ones involving cats, I tend to like cats for some reason. And no, "Roll to be a cat!" is not a good idea.

Player #1: Alright, I'm going to roll to do something catty.
GM: Good, you rolled a [3]. You lick your butt.

The embarrassment that would haunt my days forever on Bay12! I cannot let it happen, even if I do wish to make an RTD!
After failing horribly on my first and second RTDs, I honestly have entirely forgotten any embarrassment.

But you don't have an inferiority complex, do you? Then again, neither do I. I just tend to bitch and whine a lot...Glad to see that you can overcome embarrassment...

I shall continue to observe from afar, and lament on my sad, sad life. Woe is me, for I am pitiful!
Observing in envy is about as bad as failing, in my opinion.

Not for me! I've done it all my life. I guess I'm just that kind of guy...

Right, bedtime for this kid. I'm not an adult yet!

P.S: Right, go ahead and laugh at my quoting-failure. I'm not good at this whole forums thing, so please snuff the torches and put away the pitchforks. We don't want to turn this bad comedy into a murder, do we?

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: November 21, 2011, 03:24:25 am »

Where are all the generic, fun fantasy adventures with elves, trolls and hobbits? Come on! Don't keep me waiting, I have pie and coffee to get to.

Arrrrrrgh.
Well, it wouldn't be "generic" per se, and I don't know that it would be any more "fun" than usual, but I'm trying to work out the rules for a magic-heavy adventure/RPG-ish game right now, so that could be up eventually. It... wouldn't really be "simple," though a lot of its complexity could be mostly ignored without too many side effects.

Maybe I should make a "Roll to generic fantasy!"...Thanks, guy-whos-name-I-forgot! That actually sounds pretty good. And no, making an alternate account isn't my style. I hate ragdolls, it drives me nuts when people do that. And I thank you all for your encouragement and cupcakes, I'll make sure to repay you in kind. Except for the cupcakes, I can't bake.
Trust me, worst case you'll learn how to make a better game next time. Also, baking is easy, you should start. Or at least, baking from mix is easy; from scratch takes a fair amount of time and effort, but still not too bad.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: November 21, 2011, 03:29:48 am »

Well, once Powder Miner gives me a rundown of what combat and character system we'll be using in Diablo RTD I believe we'll get started on developing that.

PM me, bro!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: November 21, 2011, 03:36:01 am »

I...I wish I could do as you have. Truly, you are a god among Bay12'ers...
I'm hardly a god.

The problem is, I can't live up to most people's standards. Hell, I'm too afraid to even enter a coffee shop to buy a mocha, much less something like posting on Bay12!
I'm too afraid to buy anything at all in front of people, in all honesty. Hell, I'm a very shy person.

This site is terrifying, dude. As in, walking carp terrifying.
I used to be scared... Not anymore. Don't worry, this site is very friendly. You'll soon realize that everyone is quite friendly.

I may give it a try, but I'm not good at stories. Except for ones involving cats, I tend to like cats for some reason. And no, "Roll to be a cat!" is not a good idea.
Making a story is hardly necessary.

Also, there was a RTD about cats a while before. No, really, somewhere deep in the RTD pages is a cat RTD. It died, for some reason (I... think the GM just abandoned it or something), but it still existed. It had no story and was just plain silly... yet... I played it. I certainly wouldn't play it ever again, but I did play it back then. So a cat RTD is certainly not an absolutely bad idea.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: November 21, 2011, 03:39:58 am »

I don't think I would put as much effort into my RTDs if I wasn't as entertained by the players as much as (hopefully) I entertain them. I view it as a team effort of sorts, and even if your first fails you'll gain valuable experience you can use in the future. Nothing wrong with giving it a try.

I want to second all points of this. Keep your players interested, they will keep you interested, and suddenly: voila! no more lunch breaks at work. And no one will hate you if your game fails: plenty come and go and I'm always grateful to get onto one I like the look of, if it dies or fades away that's a shame, but I don't hold it against the GM. I guess sometimes the inspiration goes or people realise it's more work than it looks.

Also Irony's point about baking. Try to use an oven with better control of the temperature than mine though, 0 or 250 degrees C is pretty frustrating. And if you do butter icing for the cupcakes, you have to really whisk it to get it good.

oh:
Don't worry, this site is very friendly. You'll soon realize that everyone is quite friendly.

That's true as well.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: November 21, 2011, 03:42:16 am »

Well, once Powder Miner gives me a rundown of what combat and character system we'll be using in Diablo RTD I believe we'll get started on developing that.

PM me, bro!
Just out of curiosity, is it a "Diablo" RTD as in "has a dark feel and heavily features demons," or "features X of the Y loot?" Or some of both?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: November 21, 2011, 03:56:40 am »

-This site is terrifying, dude. As in, walking carp terrifying.-

I used to be scared... Not anymore. Don't worry, this site is very friendly. You'll soon realize that everyone is quite friendly.

Yeah, we're not an exclusive club that turns people away. As long as one has basic courtesy, and one doesn't get into a habit of making and abandoning games by the dozens like my friend Adwarf did, there is nothing that will cause us to be less than friendly.

And yeah, we've ALL got problems with living up to expectations. Eventually, you understand no one takes it personally if you put your best into it.

I mean, I made an awesome RTD and went crazy and abandoned it and all my players to eternal shame and dissapointment-and I've got no Death Threat PM's yet, so I take that as a good sign.

Just out of curiosity, is it a "Diablo" RTD as in "has a dark feel and heavily features demons," or "features X of the Y loot?" Or some of both?

Both, I'd guess-I don't really know the difference you mean. I'd personally end up making something like OoTKRTD-mostly story driven, lots of details, with lots of player choice and consequence. I wouldn't be making throw away equipment and things generated from a list, if that's what you are getting at.

For ex..

Battered Shortsword of the Fang
This smallish iron shortsword is dull and slightly warped-in all possibilty, it was a practice weapon improvised in the heat of battle for real combat. There are patches of acidic corruption all along the blade, as if it was plunged into somethings somethings stomach and partially digested...you can make out a few hastily marked claw runes on the leather hilt-a quick enchantment giving it a measure of sharpness, though you don't know how much it helped.

What exactly did you mean?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: November 21, 2011, 04:08:49 am »

Yeah, we're not an exclusive club that turns people away. As long as one has basic courtesy, and one doesn't get into a habit of making and abandoning games by the dozens like my friend Adwarf did, there is nothing that will cause us to be less than friendly.

It's true adwarf is guilty of that, but some of us don't stop, believing~ hold on to that feeling~ street lights, people~

er.

Anyway. Yeah, even in that case we don't hold grudges, really. We might get disappointed but it's not like we dislike adwarf or something stupid like that.

And yeah, we've ALL got problems with living up to expectations. Eventually, you understand no one takes it personally if you put your best into it.

That's true. When I started Castlevania I had a few primary worries: No one's going to want to play this 'cause not only am I a noob on B12 but I also had never hosted an RTD before and Castlevania, while awesome, isn't as popular as other things people have made an RTD of. Luckily I got some cool people to start with and I liked the players who joined later, too... which means sometimes I feel a bit guilty if I let a turn sit for a day or two... ^^^;

I mean, I made an awesome RTD and went crazy and abandoned it and all my players to eternal shame and dissapointment-and I've got no Death Threat PM's yet, so I take that as a good sign.

That's only cause we know better than to kill the goose laying the golden eggs. :P More seriously, it was kind of obvious near the end you weren't feeling it as much as when you started and I don't think anyone really wanted to force you to go on with it.

SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: November 21, 2011, 04:15:18 am »

A prime example is how I make somewhat good ideas and then abandon them due to laziness.

BUT I WILL GET OVER THIS FAD WITH THE HELP AND ENCOURAGEMENT OF MY FELLOW RTD ENTHUSIASTS!
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: November 21, 2011, 04:20:00 am »

Did I just see a Diablo RTD? Where is the 'sign me up' option? >.> Diablo is awesome, and if it's Dwarminstorybased, it'll be good. No doubt.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: November 21, 2011, 05:20:58 am »

So. I have a draft idea which I would like to share.

Now. I have two questions.

1/ Any interest?

2/ The original idea was partly inspired by a book, and partly inspired by SC’s Roll to Alter – I was wondering how to make an interesting and different team game. So I was thinking either to have four players working on their own, or two teams of three, with the lowest scoring player on the losing side being dinosaur hunting dutied. A bit like The Apprentice I guess. The only thing is, I don’t know how well it would work in teams.

Or I suppose I could try my hand at something serious and fantasy-y.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: November 21, 2011, 05:23:17 am »

I may not play, but I would love to watch some fools people try to invent comfy trousers. ^^^
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 661