Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728991 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2130 on: November 20, 2011, 04:59:32 pm »

I know that these RPs can go south fast (and have seen it happen,) and this usually happens when newcomers barge in and try to change the whole tone of things. So, if there were a "Bay12 Forum members on the road heading for this year's meetup and encountering a series of hilarious events and situations along the way" RP, what would you like the focus to be on?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: November 20, 2011, 05:01:39 pm »

I know that these RPs can go south fast (and have seen it happen,) and this usually happens when newcomers barge in and try to change the whole tone of things. So, if there were a "Bay12 Forum members on the road heading for this year's meetup and encountering a series of hilarious events and situations along the way" RP, what would you like the focus to be on?

Helping old ladies!

Sorry. First thing that came to me.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: November 20, 2011, 05:02:21 pm »

I suddenly have the image of a bunch of random douchbags driving out of a rift in space in an old RV right in the middle of some Big Bads final speech.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: November 20, 2011, 05:06:28 pm »

So I was thinking about a game that would rely more on teamwork than usually. Often when a player is disabled or otherwise removed from play, it doesn't directly hinder the others except maybe by making combat harder due to a lack of firepower, and in fact often enough a given situation can be resolved by almost any character (if only with high enough rolls).

However there are many different games that cannot be played with simply one character, either because every character has a unique ability that is required to advance (Lost Vikings, Trine, Problem Sleuth), some puzzles can only be solved with several people (LoZ:4 Swords) or the game mechanics simply doesn't allow any progress with one character gone or plain game overs (The World Ends With You).

All but maybe the last have a tiny flaw in that the amount of players is kinda restricted, unless maybe they engage in some massive team splitting that would require some pretty good storytelling on the GM's part to be believable.

I suddenly have the image of a bunch of random douchbags driving out of a rift in space in an old RV right in the middle of some Big Bads final speech.
Even better, they kill the BB entirely by accident.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: November 20, 2011, 05:07:01 pm »

Social Roleplaying, so we focus on wacky shenanigans and how everyone is always arguing with someone else. We'll always have to do some overly difficult/complex task to get to the next stop on the roadtrip.

Oh and combat is a no no, since people can go pretty over board with combat in a freeform RP. If you want a clear example of that, go re-read parts of Keeping up with Bay12.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: November 20, 2011, 05:08:20 pm »

Not even slapstick-style whacking on people's heads?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: November 20, 2011, 05:09:02 pm »

Not even slapstick-style whacking on people's heads?
That's not really combat is it? I mean stuff like "Okay guys, I have my twenty three machine guns lets go shoot all of these demons now."
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: November 20, 2011, 05:12:31 pm »

I recently started reading the Ranger's Apprentice, and I thought it might make a really interesting game. It would be more focused on stealth, and intelligence gathering with actual combat being an optional thing as you could just slit the opponent's throat then disappear into the shadows. What do you guys think?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: November 20, 2011, 05:13:43 pm »

The only game I remember going into that direction was the MGS game that quickly ended. I would take a shot at that if I could.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2139 on: November 20, 2011, 05:27:45 pm »

Social Roleplaying, so we focus on wacky shenanigans and how everyone is always arguing with someone else. We'll always have to do some overly difficult/complex task to get to the next stop on the roadtrip.

Oh and combat is a no no, since people can go pretty over board with combat in a freeform RP. If you want a clear example of that, go re-read parts of Keeping up with Bay12.
"Guys, the bridge is out! We can't make it out of town!"
"Uh... remember that biker gang back in Iowa?"
"...Yes?"
"They found us."
"HEY GUYS I stole this RV! Let's jump the bridge!"
*police sirens in distance*
"DAMMIT DARVI"
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: November 20, 2011, 05:31:17 pm »

Darvi shenanigans are the best kind of shenanigans.
Welcome to Reality.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: November 20, 2011, 05:33:05 pm »

What about my shennannigans ;.;?
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: November 20, 2011, 05:36:25 pm »

What about my shennannigans ;.;?
You are somewhere in the top ten best shenanigans list. But Darvi is at the top spot.
Welcome to Reality.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: November 20, 2011, 05:37:27 pm »

We need a list and blurbs next to the names.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: November 20, 2011, 06:22:57 pm »

People seem to have overseen my post.

Can't blame them really since this is a pretty entertaining subject we're talking about.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 661