Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 729550 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1830 on: November 06, 2011, 07:04:22 pm »

Start it up Irony! Let's try this out.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: November 07, 2011, 03:41:18 am »

Start it up Irony! Let's try this out.

I would also like to offer my encouragement please. The last couple of pages of ideas are awesome to consider.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #1832 on: November 07, 2011, 09:19:49 am »

Perhaps we should plan things out a bit more before we start the thread. So, we have five (or so) warriors Wandering the Earth, fighting the Monster of the Week and working toward some nebulous goal. Each story arc is written by a different GM, though anyone can write as many as they want as long as they're not consecutive. I'd make the tone of the series at least a little bit goofy; that will make it much more flexible and adaptable to new plots.

A few things to consider:
  • How will we handle handing off the story? Should a new thread be created, or should we keep the same one? I'm leaning toward the latter.
  • Should we have a third party who isn't GMing create the thread? It would be nice to have an index pointing to the start of each chapter in the story, and it would be easiest to give this responsibility to the OP.
  • Before we start, we need to decide on the ruleset. Converting stats and rolls to a new system every time a new GM takes over isn't a good idea.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: November 07, 2011, 09:22:56 am »

I still haven't found a taker for my advanced overshoot system...

(Which with one impossibly lucky[or unlucky] roll will doom the universe to chaos, but it's literally a one in some amount of million chance, and its more a representation of how badly/goodly you rolled)

Fakeedit: found it 8.68055557 × 10-6
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:26:52 am by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: November 07, 2011, 09:24:18 am »

Should a new thread be created, or should we keep the same one? I'm leaning toward the latter.[/li][/list]

I think it would be nicer to keep things all together in the same thread, the only downside is not being able to alter the title/subject line for updates.
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:29:33 am by lawastooshort »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1835 on: November 07, 2011, 09:25:54 am »

We'd have the neutral party do that.
    "Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
    "The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1836 on: November 07, 2011, 09:46:09 am »

Well, we'll probably use basic 1d6 rolls with modifiers in most cases, so the two main points for the system are;

- combat system? I keep using the same one and ranged combat doesn't work with the basic 'opposing dice rolls, loser takes damage' thing. My system is a bit complex and has a lot of maths (I just use google's calculator), so it doesn't really fit for what we're going for. Any suggestions?
    - skills and XP? Are we going to have this at all? If so, how easy would it be to improve skills and when do you get xp? Anyone have a simple system we can use?
    Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
    • Nowan Ilfideme
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1837 on: November 07, 2011, 09:47:09 am »

(Which with one impossibly lucky[or unlucky] roll will doom the universe to chaos, but it's literally a one in some amount of million chance, and its more a representation of how badly/goodly you rolled)

[/quote
    we... tried.... that....
    :D
    My Mafia Stats
    just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
    Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
    At this point?  TolyK.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1838 on: November 07, 2011, 09:50:07 am »

I meant a use in which the RTD wasn't already a seven-fold clusterfuck from the get-go. I'd honestly like to see if it works. Well, if it works well, is what I'm saying.

Also you borked the []

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1839 on: November 07, 2011, 09:50:56 am »

we... tried.... that....
    :D

No we didn't, you just wrote it down in the rules with a hundred other contradicting things, none of which were used by any of the GMs. Stop bringing back bad memories, man!
    Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
    • goodness what
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1840 on: November 07, 2011, 09:59:32 am »

Well, we'll probably use basic 1d6 rolls with modifiers in most cases, so the two main points for the system are;

- combat system? I keep using the same one and ranged combat doesn't work with the basic 'opposing dice rolls, loser takes damage' thing. My system is a bit complex and has a lot of maths (I just use google's calculator), so it doesn't really fit for what we're going for. Any suggestions?
    - skills and XP? Are we going to have this at all? If so, how easy would it be to improve skills and when do you get xp? Anyone have a simple system we can use?

I have generally used, for ranged combat, just a d6 to hit using the general RTD rules, with a d6 to damage. The PCs also get a d6 to dodge, because they are heroes. It is simple. I also tend to do this for melee combat, just with the addition of initiative. It is simple, but it works for me. I prefer the writing to the rules...

And to go with the simple theme, if someone rolls a [6] at doing something in my RTD with skills in (or roll a [1] at something silly, such as Pedantry), I roll another d6, and on a [6] will give them a third of a skill (which will eventually give +1 bonus). I also then keep to a natural [1] and natural [6] rule, because my RTDs aren't especially serious.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1841 on: November 07, 2011, 10:00:54 am »

I still like the idea of the dice enlarging with each [6/8/10/12/20/100], but I suppose it would get a bit complicated.

Hey, maybe we can use that one system Sean came up with? That seemed pretty solid, though I still don't quite grasp it.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1842 on: November 07, 2011, 10:04:53 am »

It seemed a bit too complex, methinks. We're going for simple and easy-to-learn here.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1843 on: November 07, 2011, 10:07:55 am »

Hrm. I don't GM, so I suppose my advice is somewhat out of experience here. I don't really know how to contribute  :-\

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1844 on: November 07, 2011, 01:31:38 pm »

Well, lawa's system seems pretty good, so unless anyone has a suggestion of their own, we oughta get started. If that wasn't clear yet, I'm signing up as a GM, right after Gatleos unless someone else wants that spot?

The setting is good vague like this. It allows both for goofiness and seriousness. I'll be going for a Mad Science! style for my first piece, which is usually relatively goofy.
    Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 661