Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 729718 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1740 on: October 28, 2011, 05:02:40 am »

I'm really tired, so this might sound like a bad idea. Would anyone be interested in an RTD based on Choice of the Vampire and the Old World of Darkness setting, particularly Masqeurade? It would be a simple d6 system (for the most part) set somewhere around the 18-20th centuries.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: October 28, 2011, 05:51:59 am »

Hmm. I kinda stumbled across a system (On /TG/ nonetheless) and I actually think it would be pretty intresting to use. It was for a Naruto Quest and heres the skinny of it. Its a D10 Dice Pool system where you get a set amount of D10's for your rank and then additional for the skill that you are testing, A success is each roll below the skill. Now, I have some ideas popping around in my mind but first of. But first off. Is it a good system?
After turning this over several times in my head, I can't see any particular problem with it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: October 28, 2011, 09:48:58 am »

I'm really tired, so this might sound like a bad idea. Would anyone be interested in an RTD based on Choice of the Vampire and the Old World of Darkness setting, particularly Masqeurade? It would be a simple d6 system (for the most part) set somewhere around the 18-20th centuries.

Yes. I actually suggested the same exact thing in this thread earlier.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: October 28, 2011, 05:48:07 pm »

Regarding the Paranoia RTD, I was wondering if people would want the RTD have some Paranoia mechanics along with the setting or just a Paranoia Setting. Since I assume they want the former, but to really implement doing secret actions, i'd have to do a summary of what happened (Not just what happened to a single character, like in most RTD's.)

Anyways, what do you guys think?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: October 28, 2011, 06:03:52 pm »

Prefer Paranoia mechanics than just a Paranoia setting. I Don't mind this summary of events.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: October 28, 2011, 06:26:09 pm »

Sounds messy and hard to pull off to me, but who knows.

Another concern, however, would be that the game is probably less interesting when you're not entirely sure what everyone's doing, so a lot of the enjoyment for players, but especially anyone following along, might get lost with that.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: November 04, 2011, 11:09:56 am »

Ok, so I promised to myself that I would never host an RTD again, because my RTDs are destined to fail horribly, but I just feel like trying again. However I don't want to get bored of it quickly so I'm having difficulties making design choices - I'm just being very picky with the setting and main gameplay philosophies.
 In other words, hi there, I'm making an RTD, what RTD would you like to play?

So, here's one idea:

Setting: Urban Fantasy. There are many cults of magicians. Maybe you joined one, maybe you learned magic from your family, maybe you learned how to cast spells by yourself - anyway, you're a magician. The existence of magic has been kept secret from the rest of humanity since it's discovery. However a hostility between two of the major cults has recently turned into a war. One battle was caught on tape and soon all of humanity found out about the existence of magic, killing all trust between the cults and bringing a huge change to their power balance.
 Gameplay design: Each cult has different spells. To get access to more spells you must earn their trust - a lot of missions are focused on clan politics. Lots of freedom because you can choose to solve problems as you see fit - if clan A wants you to secretly steal an ancient artifact from clan B you can either do it to gain A's trust, tell B about A's plans, report this to the council which is responsible for keeping peace between the clans, keep the artifact and tell A that C got it first... Basically screw with the already fragile power balance. Many spells have subtle uses rather than straightforward combat use - create illusions to trick people, use hypnosis to get what you want, subconsciously force ideas into others' minds...

...I was brainstorming while writing this and now I really like the idea. 0_o What about you?

Oh, and feel free to suggest anything. I'll host what the people want to play.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:18:59 am by tomas1297 »
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: November 04, 2011, 11:21:50 am »

Not really fond of urban fantasy. Or errand-running for preset factions. Or magic that usually functions as a shorthand for diplomacy and stealth checks.

I guess the short version is that I don't like World of Darkness.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: November 04, 2011, 11:36:41 am »

Not really fond of urban fantasy.
This is understandable. Tastes.

Or errand-running for preset factions.
It doesn't feel like errand running if you can do whatever you want. Besides you can go explore or do something interesting yourself. In fact I'm trying to make this less railroady. If you look at it that way, everything with a goal is an errand. Besides helping factions isn't 100% necessary. You can learn spells from artifacts or by stealing or otherwise obtaining magical scrolls. In fact the mechanics would be made to encourage gaining various powers rather than sticking to one faction and gaining all of their powers. Getting the strongest spells should not take much time or effort - it's more about variety.

Or magic that usually functions as a shorthand for diplomacy and stealth checks.
Not necessarily "shorthand". Since everything requires rolls in RTDs it's just a different way to solve problems. It's not 100% effective and it's not 100% necessary/superior. Besides, sounds more interesting that just having a set of damaging spells, buffs and summons. Though you can have those too. If you want to, you can just go 100% combat and cause random mayhem.

I guess the short version is that I don't like World of Darkness.
I don't know a lot about World of Darkness. In my mind it's more like E.Y.E./Deus Ex with less cyborgs and more magic.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: November 04, 2011, 12:10:16 pm »

It doesn't feel like errand running if you can do whatever you want. Besides you can go explore or do something interesting yourself. In fact I'm trying to make this less railroady. If you look at it that way, everything with a goal is an errand. Besides helping factions isn't 100% necessary. You can learn spells from artifacts or by stealing or otherwise obtaining magical scrolls. In fact the mechanics would be made to encourage gaining various powers rather than sticking to one faction and gaining all of their powers. Getting the strongest spells should not take much time or effort - it's more about variety.
I guess what I mean is that it sounds like the world will be somewhat crowded, so there's not necessarily a lot to do with your power/money/influence once you get it, other than maybe pushing other people out of your way to more or less do the same things they were.

Not necessarily "shorthand". Since everything requires rolls in RTDs it's just a different way to solve problems. It's not 100% effective and it's not 100% necessary/superior. Besides, sounds more interesting that just having a set of damaging spells, buffs and summons. Though you can have those too. If you want to, you can just go 100% combat and cause random mayhem.
Well, that sounds neat then.

I don't know a lot about World of Darkness. In my mind it's more like E.Y.E./Deus Ex with less cyborgs and more magic.
I don't know anything about E.Y.E. or Deus Ex, other than that I really, really need to go play the latter.

As for suggestions, you need to make sure YOU like the game as much as your players, or else you'll lose interest and it'll die.

That said, I've been thinking about mentioning this for a while, so I might as well rattle off all the things I was thinking about running. Maybe you can get some inspiration/insight from that, maybe not.

Spoiler: Dwarf Fortress (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Flavored Zelda (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Demonic Minecraft (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vague Warlords (click to show/hide)

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: November 04, 2011, 12:23:45 pm »

I guess what I mean is that it sounds like the world will be somewhat crowded, so there's not necessarily a lot to do with your power/money/influence once you get it, other than maybe pushing other people out of your way to more or less do the same things they were.
When you think about it, all games are about achieving your goals so you can achieve other goals. It's more like making it "trying to achieve this goal will be fun" instead of "when I achieve this goal I can have fun". Which is why I dislike games with a lot of grinding.

As for suggestions, you need to make sure YOU like the game as much as your players, or else you'll lose interest and it'll die.
Aaaaaaaaaand that's why most of my games died...I try to. You have no idea how many other games I started making before starting over since I didn't like the idea.

That said, I've been thinking about mentioning this for a while, so I might as well rattle off all the things I was thinking about running. Maybe you can get some inspiration/insight from that, maybe not.

DF and the warlords thing sound a bit hard to run, mechanics-wise. And I don't like any of those because I've been fed so much medieval fantasy that I've lost almost all interest in it. Well, Skyrim looks interesting, but besides that, I dislike medieval fantasy.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: November 04, 2011, 12:27:16 pm »

Ironyowl, all those ideas are good, though perhaps the DF Adventure Mode one could use a little interesting stuff from the upcoming release. Either way, I was originally gonna do a Zelda RTD before I made the fun-sized behemoth of a Mario RTD that I just now put on hiatus. I haven't seen a Zelda RTD before though!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: November 04, 2011, 12:36:35 pm »

Someone should do a Super Ghouls and Ghosts RTD already.

Wait! I could do that.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: November 04, 2011, 12:42:33 pm »

When you think about it, all games are about achieving your goals so you can achieve other goals. It's more like making it "trying to achieve this goal will be fun" instead of "when I achieve this goal I can have fun". Which is why I dislike games with a lot of grinding.
That's true. I guess my problem is that it doesn't sound fun in general, then, but I'm not sure how much of that is just distaste for the setting. I do think adventurey stuff should have "higher," or at least different, goals as well, though. Like how defeating the bad guys usually saves a village or at least gets you loot, as opposed to just beating up the bad guys because it's fun.

DF and the warlords thing sound a bit hard to run, mechanics-wise. And I don't like any of those because I've been fed so much medieval fantasy that I've lost almost all interest in it. Well, Skyrim looks interesting, but besides that, I dislike medieval fantasy.
Warlords, probably, though I know to avoid the worst dangers. DF not so much, though mostly because I've been deliberately making it extremely simple, to the point where I'm dissatisfied with the crafting system. Of course, that was largely because I took warning from the overcomplexity-related deaths of every other DF-inspired game out there...

EDIT: Also, how do you feel about, say, Paleolithic fantasy or magitech?

Ironyowl, all those ideas are good, though perhaps the DF Adventure Mode one could use a little interesting stuff from the upcoming release. Either way, I was originally gonna do a Zelda RTD before I made the fun-sized behemoth of a Mario RTD that I just now put on hiatus. I haven't seen a Zelda RTD before though!
Oh? What stuff?

Also, the Zelda one would be inspired by some of them, but not the same world(s) or anything.

Someone should do a Super Ghouls and Ghosts RTD already.

Wait! I could do that.
What's that? If you're GMing it I probably want in regardless, but still.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:44:57 pm by IronyOwl »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: November 04, 2011, 12:44:48 pm »

Agreed. I'll hit that pre-in with the force of one thousand exploding suns. >.>
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 661