Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 730320 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1335 on: August 14, 2011, 01:54:11 pm »

The bonuses and penalties to each race is too vague for me to judge on balance. Well, either that or I'm too sleepy right now.

But it still sounds like an interesting RTD.

I agree. Maybe a bit of background, or how these powers would work in practice, would help. ^^ Nevertheless, you've got my attention. :3
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: August 14, 2011, 04:01:14 pm »

Oblivion RTD is going on hiatus as I can not seem to work up the creativity to make a turn for it each time I try it turns into some freak child of fallout, and elder scrolls for some reason.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: August 14, 2011, 04:08:54 pm »

1: It would've been better to tell everyone from the thread itself. Not everyone reads this thread.
2: If you are having problems with making it a horrible hybrid then maybe you should have something to vent all your interest in them to instead of Oblivion.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: August 14, 2011, 04:14:46 pm »

1: It would've been better to tell everyone from the thread itself. Not everyone reads this thread.
2: If you are having problems with making it a horrible hybrid then maybe you should have something to vent all your interest in them to instead of Oblivion.
That was more to ask if anyone had inspiration for me of some kind tat could help me think posting in the thread now.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: August 14, 2011, 04:20:04 pm »

adwarf, have you thought about doing some sort of Multiworld RTD? It might suit your tendency to get inspired/distracted easily.

Furtuka, I'm generally with Tarran/SC on it being too vague (but interesting), but the main thing I've noticed is that you've got two "anything goes" races- humans can have anything for mutations, demons can be just about anything- and two "preset" races- angels have light/sonic and gain fire, and aliens are telekinetic/telepathic.

In general, I'm thinking the preset races are going to suck, especially if the system isn't nuanced/draconian enough to differentiate between, say, an alien and a floating telepathic demon.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: August 14, 2011, 04:57:40 pm »

adwarf, have you thought about doing some sort of Multiworld RTD? It might suit your tendency to get inspired/distracted easily.

I may try it, but I don't know if anyone would join. I quess I will run the rules by you guys, and see if you are intrested, as the reason five of my games died is, because I got distracted (ADHD doesn't help when you had a short attention span to begin with.)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: August 14, 2011, 05:13:14 pm »

Furtuka, I'm generally with Tarran/SC on it being too vague (but interesting), but the main thing I've noticed is that you've got two "anything goes" races- humans can have anything for mutations, demons can be just about anything- and two "preset" races- angels have light/sonic and gain fire, and aliens are telekinetic/telepathic.

Yeah. The problem I've been having is that the game is a sort of a sequel to a freeform rpg that was on the Forum Games Board earlier this year, and as a result the race's were partially predesigned. For the angels I could probably fix them by giving the option to choose a Sphere over which the character would have some form of control over. Though I'm not sure what I should do with the Fylarconen.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:14:53 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: August 14, 2011, 05:22:39 pm »

Roll to Dodge Multiworld Madness: Powered

Rules
[1]: Epic Fail. Your efforts only worsened your situation.
[2]: Fail. Your skills or luck were insufficient.
[3]: Meager success: The situation didn't improve by as much as you have intended.
[4]: Success: Your efforts were sufficient to achieve your goal.
[5]: Epic Success: Your skills and luck have combined to ensure your success.
[6]: Overshot: Your efforts were more than required for the goal's completion, and your luck is such that unfortunate side-effects are inevitable.

If at any time something threatens a player, that player may make a roll to avoid the threat.

Character Sheet
Name:
Misc: Add anything else here you wish me to know.
Word: Put one word here it can be anything. (This decide the special power you start with)
Another Word: (This decides something that shall remain a secret)

I am debating whether, or not to add attirbutes,a nd if I do how should I do them give the players points, roll a die for them,a dn give the players a number of rerolls, or what?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:26:06 pm by adwarf »

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: August 14, 2011, 06:00:35 pm »

Not sure how attributes would be awarded but as for their use...
If they're dealing with rolls in general it could either be so that they just increase or decrease rolls in particular circumstances.  Some characters might be good with technology and get a bonus when using computers, however they could get a seven which would possibly lead to an even more catastrophic side effect.    Others might be bad at something, reducing their roll and making them possible of getting a 0 on a roll causing a massive catastrophe.
Or it could be that the attribute moves the end roll towards the ideal result.  Increasing it if below 5 and decreasing it on a six.  This would end up removing the possibility of massive failure though and make the game less entertaining.
If the attributes deal with roll vs roll situations where the higher number wins then it would be best if they were a simple increase to the roll the player got.
Giving the player a reroll could be a bit overpowered.  It will make epic failures much rarer, 1 in 36 instead of 1 in 6.  As such you would have to make rerolls very rare, able to be used up, or very situational.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: August 14, 2011, 06:07:25 pm »

The rerolls are for the stats they roll incase they don't like the number.

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: August 14, 2011, 06:35:57 pm »

Ah, that makes more sense.  If this is a one time thing at the beginning of the game to set their starting stats it would delay the start of the game as everyone tries for the best stats they can get but afterwards it would move along pretty smoothly.  If it crops up more often, like if they level up or if they enter some other reoccurring situation then it could really slow down the game.  Probably not the situation but I figure it's best to get my two cents in.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: August 14, 2011, 06:41:20 pm »

Well I won't start it unless three people, or so are intrested in this thread as I don't feel like starting a game that won't get any players at all.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: August 14, 2011, 07:56:49 pm »

Alright, guess I'll in for you. Anyway, as for attributes... despite my love for complex systems I'm going to suggest maybe not using any? Instead, just have skills that do whichever of Rentorian's ideas you like better. It may be better to go that route instead of keeping up with attributes that may mean different things in different worlds (here's an example using two similar series: DBZ and Naruto, with the attribute of Speed. If we have a Speed rating of, say, 6 out of 10, then in DBZ characters will be moving faster than the eye can perceive yet in the world of Naruto they will be merely moving fast for humans. Having to flip-flop like that would be a bit hard to keep up with, y'know?).
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: August 14, 2011, 09:22:25 pm »

I guess I'm interested. If you really think this'll last a while it probably shouldn't matter how few you get in the beginning, though.

As for attributes... I'd be tempted to just skip them also, or at least make them very, very simple, like Strength applying for anything offensive and Stamina being anything defensive, and probably skipping things like Wisdom or Speed. I don't think potential flipflopping would be an issue because that'll apply for everything- different worlds will have to work radically differently in order to, well, work.

Did you have anything in mind for gaining skills/special abilities from the worlds characters visit?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: August 14, 2011, 09:31:40 pm »

No attributes, fox only no items final destination.

I'll IN as well, I suppose.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 661