Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 730499 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1125 on: July 11, 2011, 07:13:36 pm »

As far as advice goes, always have a visible goal.  If there is no visible goal the game often descends as I'm trying to get Z&D back on track after a little too long without clear goals.
Yeah, I mean, as a player having no goals makes the game boring. As a GM, no goal can lead to players doing absolutely nothing productive. Have a goal, people, have a goal.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 11, 2011, 08:22:54 pm »

Good point on the goals. Hm...

Next question. Would it be better fairly serious and modern/somewhat futuristic, or still supposedly serious but with no unifying restrictions whatsoever, so a stone age shaman and alien cyborg would both be fine and equally viable? It'd be following the sort of action movie rules that make unarmed combat fairly likely even when everyone's got a rocket launcher either way.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 11, 2011, 08:31:43 pm »

I say no restrictions. Let people fool around as much as they want. Have the general idea being time traveling assholes are randomly collecting random people from random times and throwing them on a planet so they can kill them for their amusement. Because I'm 99% sure everyone would prefer this over a limited range of characters.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 11, 2011, 08:48:12 pm »

Agreed, if only because Tarran made a good argument and it actually lets me use the archetypes for characters I've made already without any modification.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 11, 2011, 09:48:52 pm »

What about if the Enemy is not overly strong compared to you, just has far better knowledge of the place since they picked it? it would explain how they always find you eventually.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 11, 2011, 10:31:38 pm »

What about if the Enemy is not overly strong compared to you, just has far better knowledge of the place since they picked it? it would explain how they always find you eventually.
That'd bring a few additional problems to the fore.

For one thing, it'd require "knowledge" to have some sort of concrete combat benefit. That'd work alright with knowing good vantage points or if the local fauna's all poisonous or hostile or whatever, but there's a point at which knowing everything there is to know about a certain copse of trees doesn't really help, which raises the question of what happens when the players decide to hide in said copse. The whole place would have to be built as a very precise deathtrap, or at the very least have some sort of fairly innate mechanics to force players around (migrating food, or somesuch).

Secondly, it'd make more knowledgeable players, or those who guessed right, extremely dangerous, since they're now able to fight on more or less even ground. In addition to reinforcing the need for everything to be all weird so nobody knows anything about it, that'd raise questions about why the enemy would be willing to let such dangerous players live and interact with fresh meat, as opposed to isolating and killing them whenever possible to avoid the whole setup collapsing into an armed resistance.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 11, 2011, 11:32:18 pm »

Well even if the player does gain knowledge the enemy will have the advantage of numbers, and better equipment available to them hile the player is most likely running around with a sharp stick, and a bag of rocks to fight them with. Also as to the making them migrate part I have an idea have the place the players are in divided into sectors, and at some point during the day there would be a trigger for each sector that when flipped a deadly trap would activate in said sector such as the release of a massive group of predators, or sudden explosions, adn forest fires.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 11, 2011, 11:34:36 pm »

So, quick question:

Would there be any interest in a game where players are let loose in a vast but inescapable wilderness, then ruthlessly hunted down by extremely powerful enemies that they have no real chance of defeating in a fair fight? Or would that be too frustrating? What about the reverse, where the players are essentially demented big game hunters?

So... Predator: the RTD? (Without Sylvester Stallone, that'd be making things too easy  ;D )
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 12, 2011, 12:11:47 am »

Well even if the player does gain knowledge the enemy will have the advantage of numbers, and better equipment available to them hile the player is most likely running around with a sharp stick, and a bag of rocks to fight them with. Also as to the making them migrate part I have an idea have the place the players are in divided into sectors, and at some point during the day there would be a trigger for each sector that when flipped a deadly trap would activate in said sector such as the release of a massive group of predators, or sudden explosions, adn forest fires.
Once again, I'd rather the place be actual wilderness, not a deathtrap installation like this would require. And the enemies won't have larger numbers- they're hunting for sport, not weeding out rebels or something. The players will also be well armed and dangerous in their own right, just not relative to what considers them good hunting.

So... Predator: the RTD? (Without Sylvester Stallone, that'd be making things too easy  ;D )
Any resemblance to one or more Predator movies is probably almost assuredly completely definitively coincidental. >_>

And, I was thinking about having other NPCs you could potentially ally with or dispose of for benefits, but none nearly as useful as Stallone (was he in one?) or Schwarzenegger.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 12, 2011, 12:24:34 am »

This s reminding me of something from Dune, except the hunted is much better armed.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 12, 2011, 07:15:58 pm »

So are you actually going to start this Irony, I'm looking forward to it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 12, 2011, 07:17:16 pm »

It's likely, but I've got a bunch of other stuff in the way as well.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 12, 2011, 07:23:29 pm »

Draignean, I am disappoint. Sylvester was never in Predator. :( He was in great films like Rocky Balboa and Rambo, and shitty films like Judge Dredd and Cliffhanger, but Predator was Jesse Ventura and Arnold Schwarzenegger. ...Unless you were being sarcastic to bait me into being a smartass, in which case, well-played, sir. :-[

All the same, Irony, it sounds interesting. Maybe you should scope V-Norrec's Roll to Hunt/Hide since we'll be transitioning into something like that around Round 26 or so. He already mentioned it but he's the GM and biased that way. :P As a player though I'm looking forward to it to see what happens.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 12, 2011, 07:33:54 pm »

Draignean, I am disappoint. Sylvester was never in Predator. :( He was in great films like Rocky Balboa and Rambo, and shitty films like Judge Dredd and Cliffhanger, but Predator was Jesse Ventura and Arnold Schwarzenegger. ...Unless you were being sarcastic to bait me into being a smartass, in which case, well-played, sir. :-[

All the same, Irony, it sounds interesting. Maybe you should scope V-Norrec's Roll to Hunt/Hide since we'll be transitioning into something like that around Round 26 or so. He already mentioned it but he's the GM and biased that way. :P As a player though I'm looking forward to it to see what happens.

No you're right, for some reason Rambo and Predator became one movie in my head... It's been a long time since I've seen either.  :-[

I am filled with shame.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 13, 2011, 01:38:21 am »

Here is the lore, locations, factions, and people that I currently have worked out for the Oblivion RTD what do you guys think? (Note that I had to remove some side notes because of spoilers to the actual story.
Factions, and Known Lore

Spoiler: The Coalition (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Demon's Circle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wolves of the North (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Demon Slayers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dual Swords (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fighter's Guild (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Thieve's Guild (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Dwarven Council (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Death's Right Hand (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Dark Brotherhood (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Vampire's Bane (click to show/hide)

Known Locations
Spoiler: Ruins of Imperial City (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Aegis of the Imperium (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tower of the Wardens (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Brittlespire (click to show/hide)

Notable People, and Creatures
Spoiler: Founders (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Grelash Hersayer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 'The Mask' (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gilgamesh (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: High Mage Harland (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bendack Nackelbee (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Kalin Gleeful (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Seven Spirits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: King Bentley Udin (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 661