Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 730530 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1050 on: July 02, 2011, 11:03:14 pm »

Well this time I was thinking of going for a long ranged archer/sniper character, because honestly I already have about 4-7 assassin characters.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: July 02, 2011, 11:20:35 pm »

If you want to play a badass assassin, but are tired of playing so many of them, chances are the problem is that "badass assassin" comes a little too close to being a description of him. Think outside the box, really.
Why is the character an assassin? Is he needing of money? If so, why? Perhaps he has a brother he needs to buy medicine for regularly. But why kill? Perhaps someone needed him to. Perhaps there's something bigger he's a part of.
Why is the character badass? Did he go through some super training of hell? Was he born badass? In the former case, maybe the character is left scarred and unfeeling from his training. Maybe this makes him apathetic to killing. If the later case, he was just born badass. That doesn't always happen. There's something special about him. Maybe he has a messiah complex because of his strength. Maybe everyone who isn't him is inferior in his mind. No one else has the gift. That way, he doesn't mind killing.
But what if the character doesn't enjoy killing? What if, somewhere, their sister is being held up by a villain, and if they don't assassinate their other targets, the girl gets the knife? Or maybe the job was easy to get, and pays well, but he dies some inside every time he kills. At this point, his badass is just a cover. One day, he will hesitate. Perhaps his target is a child, clinging to life in her mother's held hand. He won't be able to make the kill. No matter what he does, the job is over. He has to run. Run somewhere else, where his contractors won't find him.
Who are his friends? Have they abandoned him? Family? Lover?

Just some food for thought. If you're tired of playing a character, but still want to play a similar character, you can take your "badass assassin" and turn him into a new character that's actually a Character, capital C, completely fleshed out. Let each update be before-roleplayed and after-roleplayed. Keep the development moving. If old is boring, spin the character anew!

Thus concludes your character writing class from someone who doesn't know a thing about writing characters.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:28:00 pm by freeformschooler »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: July 02, 2011, 11:22:38 pm »

Wow that will be very useful for my next assassin character.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: July 02, 2011, 11:24:31 pm »

If you want to play a badass assassin, but are tired of playing so many of them, chances are the problem is that "badass assassin" comes a little too close to being a description of him. Think outside the box, really.
Why is the character an assassin? Is he needing of money? If so, why? Perhaps he has a brother he needs to buy medicine for regularly. But why kill? Perhaps someone needed him to. Perhaps there's something bigger he's a part of.
Why is the character badass? Did he go through some super training of hell? Was he born badass? In the former case, maybe the character is left scarred and unfeeling from his training. Maybe this makes him apathetic to killing. If the later case, he was just born badass. That doesn't always happen. There's something special about him. Maybe he has a messiah complex because of his strength. Maybe everyone who isn't him is inferior in his mind. No one else has the gift. That way, he doesn't mind killing.
But what if the character doesn't enjoy killing? What if, somewhere, their sister is being held up by a villain, and if they don't assassinate their other targets, the girl gets the knife? Or maybe the job was easy to get, and pays well, but he dies some inside every time he kills. At this point, his badass is just a cover. One day, he will hesitate. Perhaps his target is a child, clinging to life in her mother's helf hand. He won't be able to make the kill. No matter what he does, the job is over. He has to run. Run somewhere else, where his contractors won't find him.
Who are his friends? Have they abandoned him? Family? Lover?

Just some food for thought. If you're tired of playing a character, but still want to play a similar character, you can take your "badass assassin" and turn him into a new character that's actually a Character, capital C, completely fleshed out. Let each update be before-roleplayed and after-roleplayed. Keep the development moving. If old is boring, spin the character anew!

Thus concludes your character writing class from someone who doesn't know a thing about writing characters.

Talarion 'likes' this comment.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: July 03, 2011, 12:08:03 am »

Would anyone here be interested in a Wheel of Time RTD? If no one is interested im still going to do it. :P

RESERVE ME OR I SWEAR I'LL STRAND YOU IN TEL'ARAN'RHIOD FOREVER!
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: July 03, 2011, 12:09:49 am »

Would anyone here be interested in a Wheel of Time RTD? If no one is interested im still going to do it. :P

YOU FOOL, I HAVE MULTIPLE EXTREMELY POWERFUL TER'ANGREALS!
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: July 03, 2011, 12:13:15 am »

YOU FOOL, I HAVE MULTIPLE EXTREMELY POWERFUL TER'ANGREALS!

SCREW YOUR TER'ANGREAL, I HAVE THAT TER'ANGREAL TIED TO THE SA'ANGREAL SHAPED LIKE A DUDE WITH A CRYSTAL BALL.

Also will Artur Hawking's kids be making on appearance?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: July 03, 2011, 12:14:21 am »

I just want to say I haven't read the entire series yet, im up to about book twelve. So anything past that isn't going to be included, sorry D:
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: July 03, 2011, 12:16:38 am »

I just want to say I haven't read the entire series yet, im up to about book twelve. So anything past that isn't going to be included, sorry D:

I haven't been able to find any of the books past A crown of Swords :(, so don't worry about it.

I was talking about the Seanchan when referencing Artur's kids in this case.
---

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: July 03, 2011, 12:18:32 am »

I haven't been able to find any of the books past A crown of Swords :(, so don't worry about it.

I was talking about the Seanchan when referencing Artur's kids in this case.
Oh duh, I got most of my books from the local library. But they didn't have any more after book twelve. I love those books so much I named my now dead dog Rand.

Anyways, enough procrasinting! Time to work!
Welcome to Reality.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: July 03, 2011, 10:24:21 pm »

Okay, now that im actual starting to make it I think it may do better as some kind of Forum RPG. If I do an RTD it will be out sooner, but if I do a forum game i'll be able to expand on the game system a bit more. Either way its going to be RP focused, so what do you guy's think?

Oh and to any readers of the books feel free to PM me ideas regarding magic, or whatever you think would be helpful.
Welcome to Reality.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: July 03, 2011, 11:00:47 pm »

I like RP focused things. Brings me back to the days when I used to do nothing but RP >.> Ah those were some good times. Do whatever you think would make it more interesting.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: July 03, 2011, 11:13:25 pm »

Anyway, Bard RTD is progressing...slowly. I'm trying to balance Lone Wolf Bards and those who work with other players in Troupes, and inverting the usual 'everything is a dump stat but charisma'

-Strength based Bards are the Strong Man entertainers-they embellish their stories and songs with displays of raw strength and combat skill.

-Endurance based Bard are usually long winded storytellers and musicians, who capture theirs audiences attention and keep them enthralled for hours on end without losing steam.

-Agilty based bards use acts of daring, sleight of hand, and acrobatics to wow the crowd and earn a shower of money.

-Intelligence based bards use trick magic, and an understanding of science unknown to simple peaseantry, to dazzle their audience. When facing a higher caliber of crowd, they employ wit and satire like modern day stand up comedians.

-Charisma based bards are the standard to which all others are held, being balanced-they do best alongside other bards, narrating the highlights of the story while it is being acted out.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: July 03, 2011, 11:14:16 pm »

Fuck yes. Charisma bard here, obviously :V

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: July 03, 2011, 11:16:18 pm »

I'd be an Agility or Intelligence bard :3

What more do you need?
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 661