Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728084 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #435 on: June 03, 2011, 09:56:28 am »

Minecraft? Eh, not crafty enough for that.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 03, 2011, 10:32:23 am »

I'd play that. Calling a Minecraft RTD spot.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 03, 2011, 12:07:12 pm »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 03, 2011, 12:27:36 pm »

My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 03, 2011, 02:09:58 pm »

So now that we've got an entire game of pre-ins, we just need someone to actually run the thing. :-\

I'd do it but it'd end up as some weird MC/DF hybrid.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 03, 2011, 02:36:04 pm »

Speaking of which, Irony, any ETA for Staggered Magi 2? Or is it going to be one of those times where you just tease me again and again? :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 03, 2011, 02:54:21 pm »

D:

Well, I'm having an odd... crisis, regarding Staggered Magi II's design philosophy.

The best way I can describe it would be a newer RPG versus an old console/arcade game. My original plan was, similar to the original, sort of an open-ended RPG. Players would design their own spells, gain varying experience points in whatever they did, etc.

But then I started wondering if maybe things should be simpler. What if, instead of HP, players had a handful of hearts, for instance? Fundamentally the same thing, but HP is more granular, and could presumably be healed through magic or whatnot. If they had hearts instead and could only heal through certain skills or found items... well, it'd be more codified, possibly easier to follow, likely easier to balance... overall, I'm wondering if that might be better.

On the other hand, all that codifying would come at a price. Probably the best example of this particular issue would be the phrase "Vulnerability: +10% Necromancy," right from Westlands. Now, I kind of like that- the necromancer(s)'s better at attacking it. On the other hand, having enemies have traits like that would require I decide that there's Necromancy and it does X, which I was hoping to not do. It's a struggle between open-ended and well-defined, more or less- on one end, you've got more or less completely freeform everything, which can be rather wonky and unsatisfying. On the other, you've got preset classes, which are kind of boring. I'm not sure which end to lean towards.

So, there's that, the short version being that I'm not sure if I actually want to run Staggered Magi II or some arcade game-inspired different RPG-ish thing, closer to CvRTD than Arcanum Octet.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 03, 2011, 03:05:08 pm »

I'd recommend you try running an arcade-type thing first (like, say, Double Dragon or something. Billy {or Bimmy ::)} and Jimmy Lee had a dojo in the third game, the palyers could always be their students or something :3) for a quest or two and see if you like it. If you don't, no harm done, people got to play and you got to try it out.

On another topic, anyone interested in running or playing a slasher-movie type RTD? I don't have any ideas yet but I'd love to play as a camp counselor or something. ^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 03, 2011, 03:09:14 pm »

I really miss the few 'Multiworld' style games.

Parts of it because it was simple on the players parts, what did is what you got.

A bigger part of exploring pre-made worlds from other fiction.

But mostly because of the distinct possibility of a gigantic mecha strolling through Hogwarts or something.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 03, 2011, 03:14:31 pm »

But then I started wondering if maybe things should be simpler. What if, instead of HP, players had a handful of hearts, for instance? Fundamentally the same thing, but HP is more granular, and could presumably be healed through magic or whatnot. If they had hearts instead and could only heal through certain skills or found items... well, it'd be more codified, possibly easier to follow, likely easier to balance... overall, I'm wondering if that might be better.
I'm all for HP on this one. I simply prefer straight numbers over vague "heart"s.

For balancing, I really don't see a difference between them. Both can have percentage values (which round down or up), both can have 1 heart or 5 HP healing... I really don't see any differences.

On the other hand, all that codifying would come at a price. Probably the best example of this particular issue would be the phrase "Vulnerability: +10% Necromancy," right from Westlands. Now, I kind of like that- the necromancer(s)'s better at attacking it. On the other hand, having enemies have traits like that would require I decide that there's Necromancy and it does X, which I was hoping to not do. It's a struggle between open-ended and well-defined, more or less- on one end, you've got more or less completely freeform everything, which can be rather wonky and unsatisfying. On the other, you've got preset classes, which are kind of boring. I'm not sure which end to lean towards.
Well, you could always list vulnerabilities of enemies based on the character's own created schools or magic. I mean, it's not like they could create hundreds of schools, right?

...Right?

So, there's that, the short version being that I'm not sure if I actually want to run Staggered Magi II or some arcade game-inspired different RPG-ish thing, closer to CvRTD than Arcanum Octet.
Well, I prefer the way things were last time. Not really sure what you mean, though, you're being kinda vague. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 03, 2011, 03:19:53 pm »

On another topic, anyone interested in running or playing a slasher-movie type RTD? I don't have any ideas yet but I'd love to play as a camp counselor or something. ^^
Certainly thought about it before- basically just a horror movie but who gets offed depends on the players and dice. I'm not sure exactly how it'd progress either, but maybe some sort of Macguffin search, possibly with only one being "real." It'd work equally well with uncovering clues about the attacker's origins or something, but on the more practical side the non-murderer players could be assembling the tools and parts needed to fix the boat and get off the island, assemble the chainsaw to ward off or kill the killer, or just gathering silver mirrors and bronze bells and hoping at least one of them is the murderer's weakness. The murderer, meanwhile, which I'd prefer be an anonymous player PMing actions, would decide who to dispose of based on who's the biggest threat, either in general or at the time, and who's the easiest to punk. Ideally the killer would probably gain stats with each murder, making it better to knock off the weaker ones first, then progress to the more battle-hardened or accident-resistant players, as opposed to just dispatching all the threats and then butchering ditzy cheerleaders at will.

Also, I'm pretty sure I read "camp" in all the wrong ways at first. Not that I don't think it wouldn't improve the character, just, you know.

For balancing, I really don't see a difference between them. Both can have percentage values (which round down or up), both can have 1 heart or 5 HP healing... I really don't see any differences.
I meant more "and function the same way hearts tend to in video games, rather than the way HP tends to." I worded that poorly/not at all.

Well, you could always list vulnerabilities of enemies based on the character's own created schools or magic. I mean, it's not like they could create hundreds of schools, right?

...Right?
Well, you're right that I could still do that. But remember, even if I've got overlap with schools, it's likely it wouldn't be exactly the same school, which could cause issues. I guess it wouldn't be that hard to just wing it, though.

Well, I prefer the way things were last time. Not really sure what you mean, though, you're being kinda vague. :P
I know, it's hard to describe. I guess just look at CvRTD for more the direction I'm considering.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 03, 2011, 03:32:34 pm »

Certainly thought about it before- basically just a horror movie but who gets offed depends on the players and dice. I'm not sure exactly how it'd progress either, but maybe some sort of Macguffin search, possibly with only one being "real." It'd work equally well with uncovering clues about the attacker's origins or something, but on the more practical side the non-murderer players could be assembling the tools and parts needed to fix the boat and get off the island, assemble the chainsaw to ward off or kill the killer, or just gathering silver mirrors and bronze bells and hoping at least one of them is the murderer's weakness. The murderer, meanwhile, which I'd prefer be an anonymous player PMing actions, would decide who to dispose of based on who's the biggest threat, either in general or at the time, and who's the easiest to punk. Ideally the killer would probably gain stats with each murder, making it better to knock off the weaker ones first, then progress to the more battle-hardened or accident-resistant players, as opposed to just dispatching all the threats and then butchering ditzy cheerleaders at will.

Also, I'm pretty sure I read "camp" in all the wrong ways at first. Not that I don't think it wouldn't improve the character, just, you know.

Ooooo~ How scandalous, IronyOwl. :-* I should play as Leeron or shadow!Kanji for lulz. Disregarding that, though, the idea sounds good and adaptable for storylines since you could: gather Dracula's bodyparts/gather Freddy's bones to throw in the incinerator, find all the pages of the tome of Eternal Darkness, gather all the parts of the laser to destroy the Chaos Blob, etc. As for how the murderer works, I like that idea, but wouldn't every player try to be a soldier to make them all tough? Or would it be a first-come first-serve scenario where you list an amount of roles in the first post, and the first person to sign up gets to pick what role s/he wants to be?

I meant more "and function the same way hearts tend to in video games, rather than the way HP tends to." I worded that poorly/not at all.
Like LoZ then, where some attacks take 1 heart or 2 hearts and you get more by finding containers/four pieces of a container?

I know, it's hard to describe. I guess just look at CvRTD for more the direction I'm considering.
Summary of the rules is there are character classes that give you a specific ability slightly better than the ones you can choose on a skill gain, with class evolutions to give you more unique abilities. Class determines HP, MP, and whether you can use magic or just subweapons. Weapons deals one of Piercing, Slashing, or Bashing, with slashing being the most 'neutral' damage type and piercing generally better against the living and weak against the undead and bashing being the opposite. Subweapons take MP to use but are more powerful than melee against certain enemy types, with magic operating the same but basically covering broader categories to be more useful since it takes more MP. When characters complete a mission they can choose to get more HP, more MP, a new or better weapon, a new or better subweapon, or an artifact that does something unique.

More or less. ^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 03, 2011, 03:46:19 pm »

As for how the murderer works, I like that idea, but wouldn't every player try to be a soldier to make them all tough? Or would it be a first-come first-serve scenario where you list an amount of roles in the first post, and the first person to sign up gets to pick what role s/he wants to be?
Good question. The most obvious answer, of course, is that if everyone's a soldier, the party lacks essential skills in other areas and so is worse off. In this literal scenario, of course, there's nobody squishy for the murderer to kill, so you end up with a standoff. Possible solutions include the ability for the murderer to attack but be driven off, letting him wear down the party if they can't get that boat/bones/tome/crane/mummy up and running, or just letting him get stronger with time, or maybe even giving different weaknesses to players, so an all-soldier party could still succumb to friendly fire or traps, or someone who was immune to everything had literally no useful skills other than not dying, making them decent as a decoy but making it fatal to have an entire party of them.

There's also just the possibility of adding in NPCs, of course. I'd feel bad telling players they weren't allowed to murder the useless ditz, though, so maybe murderer strength would have to increase based on deaths, not murders.

Like LoZ then, where some attacks take 1 heart or 2 hearts and you get more by finding containers/four pieces of a container?
Largely. Increasing hearts might be more of a levelup thing, but it'd certainly be closer to "all attacks deal half, one, or two hearts" and "you get more hearts by completing missions."

Summary of the rules is there are character classes that give you a specific ability slightly better than the ones you can choose on a skill gain, with class evolutions to give you more unique abilities. Class determines HP, MP, and whether you can use magic or just subweapons. Weapons deals one of Piercing, Slashing, or Bashing, with slashing being the most 'neutral' damage type and piercing generally better against the living and weak against the undead and bashing being the opposite. Subweapons take MP to use but are more powerful than melee against certain enemy types, with magic operating the same but basically covering broader categories to be more useful since it takes more MP. When characters complete a mission they can choose to get more HP, more MP, a new or better weapon, a new or better subweapon, or an artifact that does something unique.
Of particular note in comparison to Staggered Magi:

-Levelups come from a sort of generic XP function, rather than skills increasing with use
-Rewards come on a per-mission basis (mostly), rather than whenever you find them/level up, though kill boss, receive loot is still largely in effect
-Players aren't tremendously differentiated; aside from number of 8s rolled, which is somewhat akin to current XP, players have a class bonus, possibly a class evolution, HP total, MP total, weapon type (and sometimes second type), subweapon type (again, possibly more than one), armor type (usually applying between -1 and +2 to one or two things) ,and a handful of skills, generally applying +1 or +2 to something.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 03, 2011, 03:59:45 pm »

I used to have a list of character types in horror films. I'll see if I can find it.

Found it. I don't know who originally created it because I've had this file at least a decade, maybe 15 years. I don't remember why certain types are in all caps, probably because they're common? I don't have the list of stats being referenced either, or know much about how character creation works. :-\

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:01:18 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 661