Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727906 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #420 on: June 02, 2011, 08:57:46 pm »

But that requires me leaving my house D: or going onto youtube D:
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 02, 2011, 08:58:12 pm »

I never liked anime, but Fullmetal Alchemist is my secret weakness.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 02, 2011, 09:02:36 pm »

Maybe players could have an HP system? Would force the murderers to try to hide before they kill their targets. There could also be traps around the mansion that other people could set up, if you run into it and get a bad roll then 1 hp is taken away. The murderers could maybe take away more hp than a trap or just outright kill the player.
A HP system could work as a more general mechanic, so maybe you lose HP by being off-balance or riled up or over-exerting yourself, and that could mean the murderer can auto-kill you at a certain point, or be very likely to kill you at a certain point, or maybe have no chance of killing you at a certain point, meaning if you get attacked you know something's off. The trouble, however, is that unless the murderer is automatically masked or something (which might be a good idea anyway), anything except an autokill is risky, and anything but an extremely likely kill probably isn't worth it unless very unusual circumstances are going on.

I'm not sure how I feel about players setting traps- for the most part, it doesn't really fit the theme. I suppose noticing that the furnace has been turned on or someone tampered with the stairs or something is a fairly common aspect of whodunnits, but usually because it aided the murder or covered up the tracks better, not because you greased up the stairs and someone fell off.

So, I don't know about HP. Something vaguely similar, like having a certain number of "Second Chances," might be better for this type of game.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure how I feel about certain players getting knocked off early, nor am I so certain about the better players being targets; that's always an aspect I've disliked about mafia. But then, the point of a murder mystery is that people get murdered, so I'm not sure about players just, I don't know, collecting clue cards or something instead.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 02, 2011, 09:09:03 pm »

But that requires me leaving my house D: or going onto youtube D:

Theres other places to watch it on. Like I watch all my anime at animefreak.tv

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 02, 2011, 09:09:35 pm »

I suppose instead of HP, the whole off-balance and over-exerting yourself could replace it. Lets say you try to move a bookcase out of the way but fail, you are now tired and get a -x for a turn, this could make an opening for the killer to attempt to kill them.

The killer could also choose to put on a mask, this makes it for example so instead of Bill someone seeing Bob, Bill would see a person wearing a dark mask.

And if there were second chances, each player gets a "Second Chance" at the beggining of the game. They lose one if they fail at stopping someone or something killing them. The players could gain more "Second Chance's" by searching for various items throughout the mansion. For example Body Armor could give a player a second chance if they are shot in the chest. Alternatively there could be magical artifacts that a player can find, lets say Bob finds a magical chalice. When holding it he gets an extra second chance, but lets say Bill the Artifact Hunter can recognize that Bob is holding it and alert the others.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 02, 2011, 10:08:53 pm »

Here are some rules for the game.

Rules
You are trapped in a mansion with an assasin who was hired to kill you and Sir Tophat! You must find out who the murderer is and kill him
before he/she kills you!

There will be 8 different room's in the mansion, the following rooms are...

Dining Room- This will be the main meeting area for players to talk, the assasin will have a hard time killing someone in here undetected.

Kitchen- A large kitchen used for cooking the various meals Sir Tophat eats, there is a large assortment of knives here aslong as some food.
There is also a meat locker in here to store the wild animals Sir Tophat shoots on his game reserve.

Antique Room- This room has a wide assortment of antique weaponry, other than that is seems rather empty of anything else...

Wine Cellar- The celler where the wine is kept, its a small room and you can easily tell who is in it with you.

Study- This room is Sir Tophats study, it has various books in it and some odd items he collected while on a few expeditions.

Ballroom- Ah dance such a lovely thing! But there is no time for dancing while theres an assasin about! This room is rather large
so some noise may carry out into different rooms...

Treasury- This is where Sir Tophat keeps his assorted wealth, but the large safe door seems to be locked and theres no obvious way to
get inside it without a key.

Basement- Wow its dark in here, you don't even know whats in here...

There will also be hallway's leading to the rooms you have to go through, you can choose to stop there to investigate or continue on you way.

-Second Chance System
Each player at the start of the game starts out with a "Second Chance", these are used when a player does something that gets them killed or a player
tries to kill them. Players can gain extra "Second Chances" by finding various items in the house. Some of these items other players may be able to detect with their special abilities so watch out! Second Chance items can be dropped or stored anytime.

-Players when entering a room roll to see if they see anyone, they then roll to see if they recognize who they see. If Bob enters a room and rolls a 5,
he notices someone is in the room. But if he rolls a 1 for his recognize roll, he thinks he see's Carl, when its actually Bill. All rolls of course will be
hidden.

-Some players will be given different objectives and different abilities at the start of the game. Examples could include a burglar trying to break into the Treasury,his ability could be stealing Second Chances from other players.

-The killer will kill like this, he will do a roll to see if the person notices him, then he can attempt to kill that person. If he rolls a good number then he kills the victim unless he has a second chance, then the killer runs away and the victim wakes up not knowing what happened.

Welcome to Reality.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 02, 2011, 10:15:42 pm »

The only question I have is how would we post actions without giving away who we are? Would we PM you, the GM, what we're doing?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 02, 2011, 10:17:09 pm »

You'd pm me your action, or we could have different quicktopics for each room, or just different quicktopics for each player.
Welcome to Reality.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 02, 2011, 10:24:12 pm »

A PM would probably be best; it leaves no chance at all someone else could see what we're doing. :3
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 02, 2011, 10:26:10 pm »

Im still trying to decide of the Killers kill action automatically succeeds, or its just a roll. Any suggestions?
Welcome to Reality.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 02, 2011, 10:34:40 pm »

Maybe it should depend on the status of who he's trying to kill. If they're normal, an unmodified roll. If they're better off than normal for some reason, like 'had a wonderful drink recently,' then the killer should get a roll but have a penalty to it. If they have a negative status, then a roll with the killer getting a bonus. If the victim has two or more negative statuses like Starving/Exhausted/In Pain etc. then it should just be automatic. That's my opinion anyway.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #431 on: June 03, 2011, 03:36:44 am »

I'm intregued as to the Mafia/Clue RTD. It's certainly an interesting direction to take.

Regardless, I've had an idea for someone else to use-a Minecraft RTD. Think about it-6 players wake up on a beach, and are tasked with a sandbox universe. They have to punch trees, kill animals and mine cobble to survive. And then, later in the game, NPCs could arrive and move in to player cities. And then you have the creepers, zombies, etc.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 03, 2011, 03:58:09 am »

Sounds like a plan to me. We could even make faux-screenshots in actual Minecraft.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 03, 2011, 08:30:28 am »

Sounds like a plan to me. We could even make faux-screenshots in actual Minecraft.
*raises hand*
I'm in it, either as a player or a GM or as a helper  :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 03, 2011, 09:54:08 am »

I'd play that. Calling a Minecraft RTD spot.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 661