Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727899 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #390 on: June 02, 2011, 03:06:11 am »

Roll to be a Merc

Spoiler: Background Story (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Factions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: City Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Known Gear (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Signup Sheet (click to show/hide)

This is an RTD I have been working on, and  I was wondering if you guys could help me. I need some help making up some more factions, describing the cities, making up some more cities, and working out a combat system. Could you guys help me with that ?
Here's some Concept factions and a rework of the existing ones. What do you think? If you like them, I'll make more, because just 4 is hardly enough.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 02, 2011, 03:11:20 am »

Sorry about asking you guys to look over so much, but I refined some more, and added a bit that I wanted you to check over.

It's all good, that's what this thread is here for. 8)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

I'm not quite certain on this part: The roll has to be lower than your agility score if it reaches ten, or higher then that number is havled (Rounding down if needed) to determine the hit ). The reason being that it seems like if your agility is 20, there is no longer any way to pass the roll on 1d10; 20/2=10. If the roll can be equal and pass then that's fine but once you pump Agi up to 22 you hit the same problem since 22/2=11 on 1d10.

On the other hand I guess you would have to be pumping your agility to game-breaking levels in the first place for that to happen. :-\ Actually, it occurs to me that according to your attributes, bonuses max out when the stat gets to 15; if you cap Agility there at 15 and always have the roll be on 1d20 that would work. It would make it hard for low agility players to make aimed shots but players who preferred to do so would have an easier time of it by raising their agility up to the cap. Eventually it would mean they would have a 75% chance of always hitting their aimed shot, but there's still a 1/4 chance they would miss.

Spoiler: stats (click to show/hide)

Hmm, not bad. The only problem I see is that once you get Agi to 15 there's no reason to put any more points into it for the things I mentioned above, and once you've got Strength to a reasonable level (15 to 20 so you can carry a lot of equipment) and Int up to 20 (for the +3s and the two secret weapons, unless you wanted more) there's nothing to prevent you from placing every point you get afterward into Endurance until you're nigh indestructible. Unless you want it that way. ^^;

Spoiler: Leveling (click to show/hide)

The amount of experience seems kind of low, but that's only because I don't know how strong the enemies will be. If the players are meant to mow them down by the hundreds like Super Smash TV then 1d10 XP per kill is a perfectly reasonable amount; one might even say generous. If they're tough enough that fights with only one or two may last several rounds and tax the player's resources then it's rather low, and being variable isn't as good as a set amount. To be honest, in my opinion experience / rewards for the players is always the hardest part to balance since everybody has their own ideas about how much they should get for their efforts. :-\
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 02, 2011, 03:20:12 am »

Tarran those factions ar really good, and I like how you added the status charts to each. If you could make a few mroe that would be great.

@ Serious -

I see your point with the stats, and I will try to fiqure out a way to improve that system. Also on the agility roll it is haved for every ten so if the person had say an agility of twenty then it would be halved down to ten then halved again down to five.

The leveling system is quite right with the experience since they will be facign quite a few enemies each time they enter a fight. Them winning depends on if they have enough luck to kill them quickly, or enough ammunition to drag out the fight. Of course they won't be alone they can hire troops to join their merc companies, and some missions will involve working with some NPC allied troops.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 03:29:27 am by adwarf »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 02, 2011, 03:23:02 am »

Tarran those factions ar really good, and I like how you added the status charts to each. If you could make a few mroe that would be great.
Thank you. I will make more.

@ Taricus -
...Taricus? Dude, are you on something? :P
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 02, 2011, 03:26:22 am »

No, it's cool, it's a common mistake. Like Tarren. The easy way to tell the difference between me and Taricus is that he uses innuendo to attack while I use it for comedy. :3

Edit: Oh, I see. That makes sense. So if your Agi was say, 80, it would be: 80/2=40/2=20/2=10/2=5. There's still not really a reason to push it that high but I can see how it works now. ^^;
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 03:28:34 am by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 02, 2011, 03:29:12 am »

Sorry I have been up for about 38 hours straight now so I am out of it slightly.

Edit: I have also worked out a way to make people invest points into the other atributes by making a skill tree.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 03:38:08 am by adwarf »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 02, 2011, 04:21:26 am »

Well this is everything I have so far just need to get the cities finished up, adn maybe add a few more weapons,a dn it hsould be done.

Spoiler: Background Story (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Factions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: City Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Known Gear (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Signup Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Leveling (click to show/hide)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 02, 2011, 05:14:01 am »

This is pretty much the final version of the Factions. I've ran out of ideas. Eight's good, right?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 02, 2011, 05:24:16 am »

Okay, right now I've got some inspiration to do a Roll to Rule Tropico.

The player's are leaders of the political factions on the island who have to further their group's goals and avoid getting shot by El-presidente

A D6 system similar to the one in Serious' RtASL, with the group's goals instead of a success/failure metre would be used and I'm thinking up some more ideas.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 02, 2011, 07:32:24 am »

Adwarf, Tarran, I'm starting to make a spreadsheet with all the factions, so that it's easier to figure stuff out  :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 02, 2011, 11:21:54 am »

Thnaks Tarran 8 is enough if I need more I will introduce them later on, and Taricus that sounds very intresting. Also thanks TolyK

EDIT: Ok I posted my new RTD, and added the rules on Psychic Powers.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:08:44 pm by adwarf »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 02, 2011, 06:41:44 pm »

I've been thinking of this idea for awhile now, don't know how it would work though. How about a Mafia RTD? As in the forum game mafia, Day and night are obviously longer and each player gets his own area to post his actions. They talk and do public actions in the thread. Does this sound like a good idea to you guy's?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 02, 2011, 06:54:24 pm »

You'd have to think about what parts you are going to take from a Mafia game and what you will take from an RTD. Regardless of what you take, it will be worse than a normal game of either type.

But by all means, go ahead. Never know until you try.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 02, 2011, 07:50:07 pm »

Mafia RTD wouldn't work too well, for a couple reasons. The main one, however, is simply that at its heart, mafia is a game of interrogation and deception, feeling other players out and trying to delve into their hidden motives. That's just not a standard game, or one people can play well if they're not used to and expecting it.

That said, something more structured and in the same vague "Someone in this room... is a murderer!" type category could work well.

Most likely, at least in my opinion, it'd be a hidden-rolls system taking place in a mansion, with rolls for all sorts of facets of actions. Everyone would split up and do their thing, then gather at some point to ask and tell and such. There might even be numerous factions and agendas not directly related to everyone dying.

So for instance, let's say Alice and Bob both go into the kitchen, possibly because Alice is actually an undercover archaeologist looking for something precious hidden in the house. Alice, we'll say, rolls a [1] on her Notice Other Players roll, so she thinks it's Curt that's in there, not Bob. Bob rolls a [6], so not only does he notice Alice, he thinks he saw David in there as well. So even when you get to "who was in the room with you?" there's room for being uncertain of yourself. Is David lying, or was he really not there? Why doesn't anyone claim to have seen Bob- was he being stealthy, or alone, or with someone unobservant? Since they don't know their own or anyone else's rolls, nobody can be certain of anything.

Throw in things like searching through the kitchen, possibly attempting to leave no traces that you did so, or murdering Alice without making a racket, and you've got a lot of room for delicate situations. And with various factions, people might have cause to be sneaky or tight-lipped even without being a murderer- Alice knows there's other archaeologists afoot, and if they find out where the item is before she does, they'll get all the glory. So she'd best not let slip that she's an archaeologist, or else her fellows might lock her in her room or even club her out, to say nothing of giving them a headstart by mentioning that she searched the kitchen and it's not in there.

I'd probably throw in random event "cards," and maybe other, similar things to liven things up a bit. Did Bob really go into the study because he heard a cat in there, or is that just a convenient excuse? Did David's magnifying glass conveniently need repairs in time for him to leave Evin alone at the precise time he was brutally murdered, or did he crack it himself to cover his tracks? For that matter, was David's magnifying glass ever really cracked, and he did exceptionally well repairing it as he claims?

So, yeah. Could work.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 02, 2011, 07:58:45 pm »

That sounds like it could work, but since players will be killing eachother rather fast it would end rather fast. It could have multiple rounds though, now that im thinking more about it it would actually be better as a Forum Game.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 661