Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727958 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm thinking of making an RTD in a 1600s-1700s setting, but I think I might be better off setting it in a fantasy version of that time period instead, lest I have history buffs getting on my case if some historical inaccuracy or other makes its way into a turn.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yea, I feel the same way about a lot of things.  Like, I'm afraid if I try to model guns off of real ones, gun buffs are going to come after me. >.>

@ATHATH also good idea.  I might use that as well.  Might need to tweak the setting a little to accommodate it, but that's fine.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Model them off real guns and then change the name slightly, so if someone starts complaining point it isn't actually that gun.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Heh, that is a neat ammo thingy. Gamma World ("post apocalyptic mutant D&D 4E lite") has a similarly elegant solution- guns can be fired once per fight without penalty, or as many times as you want per fight after which point they are out of ammo and expended. Probably not what you're looking for, but I'm fond of elegant, narrative, or cinematic solutions to normally bookkeepy problems like that.

But come on, guys. How many 1630s gun nuts do we really have on here? :I
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

But come on, guys. How many 1630s gun nuts do we really have on here? :I

Angels & Arquebuses: Gunrunners of the Gods

"Um, excuse me, my character is a fusilier, why would he be providing the Heavenly Hosts with outdated firearms? Snrk."
"There's a good reason... uh, roll for Knowledge (Piety) or Knowledge (Merchant Houses). Oh look you failed."
"Hmm, fine, but I'll be attempting to join a monastic order of warrior merchants to qualify for my prestige class so I expect they will have an answer."

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey guys, this isn't really a game idea but more of a discussion question.

How do you guys decide how much damage is done in your rtds? You know, stuff like determining when to chop off of a limb, calculating fall damage, and most importantly how to interpret endurance rolls.

As for myself, one of my biggest problems is trying to interpret an endurance roll of 3.

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Hey guys, this isn't really a game idea but more of a discussion question.

How do you guys decide how much damage is done in your rtds? You know, stuff like determining when to chop off of a limb, calculating fall damage, and most importantly how to interpret endurance rolls.

As for myself, one of my biggest problems is trying to interpret an endurance roll of 3.
I always err on the side of hurting people! Traumatic amputations for all!

Failing that; just common sense it. It depends a lot on the setting and how much an injury reflects reality.  A limb is easy enough to chop off with a good blade and some force, especially if you do it at the joint. Straight through solid bone is harder, especially thick bones like the femur, but doable if you have a good heavy chopping blade, especially if you have the luxury of few good whacks.  However, in action movies and kungfu stuff, limbs get severed like crazy. A bullet to the shoulder can be a fatal wound quite easily in real life, while in fiction people often shrug broken rips and bullet wounds off like nothing.

As per interpreting those loathsome middle numbers, I like to think of it like this: On a 5 you're gonna get away with the least injury possible, none if thats even remotely applicable. 4 you get minor injuries. A glancing blow. 3 is partial; you don't take the full thing, but you still take a good hit. 2 is you take the full thing, and 1 is you actually throw yourself into the blow and get hurt even worse.

So for the limb lopping, 5 it just misses you, 4 it gives you a cut, 3 it gives you a deep gash, 2 it hacks straight down into the bone and 1, you try to dodge out of the way and accidentally dodge into the sword strike, increasing the force of the blow and severing the limb entirely. 

Yea, I feel the same way about a lot of things.  Like, I'm afraid if I try to model guns off of real ones, gun buffs are going to come after me. >.>

@ATHATH also good idea.  I might use that as well.  Might need to tweak the setting a little to accommodate it, but that's fine.
I've got a book here somewhere...Ah, here it is. The Compendium of contemporary weapons, by palladium, which is designed to be somewhat system agnostic, so if you need info about guns, I've got some specifically setup for this sort of thing. Just change the names.

As per ammo, you could always just do what Atomic Highway does with fuel for cars:  Every engagement, roll a dice for each gun user. If they get a 1, then sometime during that engagement, their ammo runs out.

Simple, quick and you get to choose exactly when to fuck em!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Interpreting a 3 in scenarios that don't have much middle ground can be a bitch in general if you marry yourself to the d6 ruleset. I usually just massage probabilities based on number of expected outcomes. So if I'm rolling a d6 to decide about limb loss/extra damage/normal damage/dodge (4 options of possible 6) then I might say that the middle options of extra damage or normal damage are more likely than limb loss or unscathed dodge, so I'd say 1- Limb Loss 2/3-Extra Damage 4/5- No Damage 6- Dodge.

If I really want to be even on the probabilities then I just shift everything towards the shit end of the scale (so 1-3 would be Limb Loss bad, then the rest of the options) and then I award bonuses depending on how unfuckedup I want the players to be. If I go this far I usually go whole hog and set up a standard or special rules case to handle it though.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

I need some critters for an RtD about religious pilgrims in the post-apocalypse․ Anything from monsters to pack-animals to sapient mutants․ I'd greatly appreciate any ideas․

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I need some critters for an RtD about religious pilgrims in the post-apocalypse․ Anything from monsters to pack-animals to sapient mutants․ I'd greatly appreciate any ideas․

Any details? What sort of apocalypse, nuklear, magical, vague? What sort of feel for the game, dark and creepy, high-spirited heroics, bleak realism?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Any details? What sort of apocalypse, nuklear, magical, vague? What sort of feel for the game, dark and creepy, high-spirited heroics, bleak realism?
I was thinking incredibly vague apocalypse, with lots of mutation and weirdness. The feel of the game should be strange but plausible: it follows it's own internal logic even if the logic itself is crazy. For instance, huge versions of these things are used as pack animals in the verse (WARNING SPIDER) because those two little spikes on their back are excellent for tying packs to and they are easier to feed then other spiders, being omnivorous rather then carnivorous.
Edit: And I just learned they glue debris to themselves to distract predators, so they probably don't mind having packs strapped to them.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:56:36 pm by Fniff »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Landwhales. Literal landwhales.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Walking plants that produce many, many spores as they wander. The plants themselves won't attack or anything, but when one inhales their spores for more than a couple minutes, they slowly begin turning into one themselves.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have devils that offer stat buffs in exchange for justifiable evil acts, bringing the players closer to the dark side.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would say add giant mutant vaguely humanoid monster duck hybrids with green fur and scales as well as few patchy spots. Also, with lobster claws that shoot toxic waste instead of wings. It also only has one glowing red eye and it's head is shaped like a crescent. If you can, add spikes protruding from it's back.

I attempted to draw something like that, but only managed to draw the head, left arm, and legs. This was the best way I could describe it.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 661