Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 726895 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think both teams should get the same words. If cheating is an issue, shuffle the meanings of words.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile

Spoiler: @Toaster's idea (click to show/hide)

After thinking about this, I don't know why I thought I should post it last night.  The ideas aren't really all that similar.  I don't mean to steal... attention or whatever from Toaster, but I said I'd post it so that's what I'm doing.

Spoiler: Perplixcon: Druujinas (click to show/hide)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I was in the anime thread on General Discussion and someone posted this. This got me thinking and I figured it would make for some decent RTD mechanics. Here's how it goes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is this system any good. Anything I should change?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

What kinds of character customization option are there? I think this would work:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyways, I like the idea, I'm just wanting customization and thinking too hard about balancing that customization.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm glad to see the system I proposed balances out pretty well. The intention was that in one-on-one fight, the guy with the highest output would win but in a drawn-out fight (more than 6 rounds, it seems), that same guy is likely to lose. Good for surviving ambushes, bad for clearing dungeons.

As for character customisation, I'd really like to thank you for doing most of the work there. I've been thinking that 10 Burn should be around 1 point but didn't really know how to price the rest, other than that Regen should be pretty costly.

This is the pricing system I've come up with this:
40 starting points

Power: 10 per point
Limit: 1 per point
Cool: 1 per point
Regen: 1 per 3 points
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:04:36 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

I've realized that an RTD based on randomly selected nerdcore songs might not be a bad idea... I can think of several songs that would be downright homicidal for the players. What would really make that sparkle would be a time limit (5 turns per 10 seconds of song? 5 turns per 20 seconds?) that really pushes the players.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Music-based games don't tend to last long.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hai gaiz, fancy seeing you here. ._.

Sorry for giving up on my RTD (way back in ages long past).  I still really like the idea of running an RTD, but I just need to format it in a way that is sustainable for me.  In any case, that's something that I need to work out on my own.  What I came here for was to poll for interest in a few of my ideas.  I only want to run one game, so I just want to see what people might want.

1. Law of RTD:
Based on the anime "Law of Ueki", the players play as Middle schoolers (Could change it, but that's what it was in the show) who are given a single power by a celestial being.  They are given this power in order to represent the celestial being to choose the new God!  The child(ren) who successfully win the tournament of sorts, will keep much of the power they accumulated over the tournament, and receive a "blank Zai" or talent.  They can write any one talent on it and become the best at that talent.  They could rule the world if they so chose.  The powers given are usually transformative, examples from the show are "Change Trash into Trees" "Change Coins into Wind", although some powers deviate from this.  More powerful powers come with limitations or restrictions, perhaps like "Only works while holding your breath" or on the extreme end "Loses a year of your lifespan every time you use it".

I would have to tweak it a bit to make sure it's a little more than a shonen tournament RTD, but much of the focus will be on creative use of abilities and fighting.  The party would likely have a fair bit of plot armor, so lethality is low.  I'm not gonna say death is impossible, but it would take a lot and there would likely be ways to avoid it.  I've always loved the Law of Ueki powers and the whole setup that the tournament had, so I think it could be fun.

2. Roll to Final Boss!
Screw it all!  Skip most of the plot, all the buildup, and slow progress!  You're going right to the final boss!  The players would make characters (They could be pretty much anything so long as everyone starts around the same power level, within reason [Yes BlitzDungeoneer, you could be Kirby, probably]) and immediately go against various "Final bosses" of games, movies, anything I can think of.  It might not be a fight necessarily.  It might be the final encounter of a big political battle, and you have to negotiate.  Or if it was Star Wars, you would probably tackle the Death Star, or maybe Darth Vader.  It would be very random, subject to my whims, and medium to high lethality.  Winning a round (As part of a group) earns points, or money or whatever to let you level up and progress, depending on your contribution to the victory.  You keep the same character until death or otherwise.

So let me know what you think about either of these!  What would you prefer to play in, if at all?  Any suggestions/modifications to either?  Potato?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

2. Roll to Final Boss!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Sorry for giving up on my RTD (way back in ages long past).
I remember you o_o

Also sorry @everyone involved, with my...complete lack of productivity. RL priorities happened.
Like, for the past 2 years affecting every bit of productivity. :-\

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for giving up on my RTD (way back in ages long past).
I remember you o_o

Also sorry @everyone involved, with my...complete lack of productivity. RL priorities happened.
Like, for the past 2 years affecting every bit of productivity. :-\
Had nothing to do with you, and everything to do with me.  I've returned to reading ER, to maybe catch up one day.  Elisaz just lost his dick to AM. >.>  I have to pay attention to the dates of everything so I can read things in order.  But its so good.

Anyway, any thoughts on my RTD ideas?

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

2. Roll to Final Boss!
This, please.
I'd comment more on idea number 1, but I've never heard of this Law of Ueki before just now.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

2. Roll to Final Boss!
Screw it all!  Skip most of the plot, all the buildup, and slow progress!  You're going right to the final boss!  The players would make characters (They could be pretty much anything so long as everyone starts around the same power level, within reason [Yes BlitzDungeoneer, you could be Kirby, probably]) and immediately go against various "Final bosses" of games, movies, anything I can think of.  It might not be a fight necessarily.  It might be the final encounter of a big political battle, and you have to negotiate.  Or if it was Star Wars, you would probably tackle the Death Star, or maybe Darth Vader.  It would be very random, subject to my whims, and medium to high lethality.  Winning a round (As part of a group) earns points, or money or whatever to let you level up and progress, depending on your contribution to the victory.  You keep the same character until death or otherwise.

So let me know what you think about either of these!  What would you prefer to play in, if at all?  Any suggestions/modifications to either?  Potato?
The Final Boss idea is one that's been run in a similar fashion before. Most notably YOU AT FINAL BOSS which is probably the longest minimalist RTD on bay12. I would recommend making sure you distinguish what makes your RTD special from previous Final boss RTDs if you choose to run with this.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Final Boss idea is one that's been run in a similar fashion before. Most notably YOU AT FINAL BOSS which is probably the longest minimalist RTD on bay12. I would recommend making sure you distinguish what makes your RTD special from previous Final boss RTDs if you choose to run with this.
I figured as much, although I don't plan on it being THAT minimalist.
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 661