Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727367 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #8550 on: October 20, 2014, 09:11:16 pm »

The thing is, how would you judge that someone is writing well? I mean, an excellent post is an excellent post, and a shit post is a shit post, but in the midpoint it can be hard to judge...

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #8551 on: October 20, 2014, 09:26:48 pm »

By it's nature it is subjective, and I would have to set a certain bar for it.  It all depends on how easily players should obtain these points, the cost of the things they can buy with them, and the level of writing I ask of the players.  I don't want to require huge posts, but they should be interesting when they can be.

If I'm on the fence, I could leave a note to myself to give that player a point the next time I'm on the fence for them.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8552 on: October 20, 2014, 10:53:07 pm »

Maybe give points based on if you got an immediate, definable reaction or not.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8553 on: October 20, 2014, 11:03:50 pm »

Maybe.  Playing in Exalted got me pretty acquainted with this type of system.  Basically in Exalted, it was called "Stunting" an action.  Instead of merely stating your action and rolling for it, you described what your character is trying to do (Usually with a lot of flourishes and awesome sauce), and the GM would describe it as "1 dot" "2 dot" or a "3 dot" stunt.  1 dot level is describing your action with minimal detail.  Putting any effort in usually reaches this.  2 dot is much more fancy, and should include the environment.  3 dot is amazeballs.  If there is any question if a stunt is 3 dot or not... its not 3 dot.  Each level would give better bonuses to the roll, and 3 dot stunts could be used to give your character +1 xp instead of the bonus to your roll.

Now, I wasn't necessarily looking to make 3 tiers for this, but you get the idea where I'm coming from.  If I can figure out how to regulate it, I think it would be fun for players, and easy to run.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8554 on: October 21, 2014, 05:53:00 am »

So, let's say the following happens:

Back story: Kobolds killed your parents.

Case A:"I attack the Kobold because it killed my parents"

Case B:"Death is too good for this Kobold. I will humiliate it by cutting it's clothes until it stands naked before us! Then once it is sufficiently humiliated I knock it out, so I can torture it later."

Which one is better?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8555 on: October 21, 2014, 10:23:50 am »

I choose Case C: "I ask the kobold why in the fuck it did that, during a glorious battle with lots of collateral damage, then, as we strike te final blow, I make it see the error of it's ways and repent, therefore making it my best friend, while secretly plotting revenge."

If not possible, Case A.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:26:07 am by BlitzDungeoneer »
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8556 on: October 21, 2014, 11:25:46 am »

D: Really, they deserved it. You're a-OK in my books, kobold!

E: We are not barbarians. I shall arrest this kobold and ensure it is given a fair trial.

F: Kill the kobold's parents. Karmic revenge!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8557 on: October 21, 2014, 11:28:21 am »

Well, of course in this case, B is more descriptive.  "Attack the Kobold" vs describing HOW you do it.

...awfully mean to that Kobold though.  I feel bad for it.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8558 on: October 21, 2014, 11:41:49 am »

Wait, that's what that meant?
Case B, then. Although, I still prefer Case C... Case B is just way too sadistic.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8559 on: October 21, 2014, 11:48:25 am »

Well, its not me to judge the character of their actions, only the results and the quality of the writing.

I'm not dead set on using this system, but at least for now I like the idea and I want to mull over the pros and cons of it, as well as seek alternatives.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8560 on: October 23, 2014, 02:31:48 am »

Personally I would prefer case A.
While from a Player driven narrative standpoint it is less flavourful it also does not push the player towards his next actions.
If his next turn is spent describing how the Kobold is tortured while the other players happily loot the room...
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8561 on: November 07, 2014, 06:41:38 pm »

So here's a game:

The players control a character that has until midnight to do whatever they want. They cannot die and the day will reset once it is midnight. The game will be called Killing Spree. In order to facilitate the players' wishes, all rolls will have a +1 modifier to prevent critical failures.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8562 on: November 07, 2014, 09:18:54 pm »

Right now I'm toying around with a MTG-ish setting, at least, based on the color system. I'm dicking about with MSE to try and get a set built but not having direction really does suck... however, there's a ~setting~ now.

Basically, each color has a kind of aspect- these were once great empires, but have since fractured and broken apart.
Red- Icarum. Once a great Greco-Roman nation known for practical knowledge and undisputed military might.
Blue- Marceli. Used to be a hub of all kinds of trade, assimilating everything they had their hands on into new technology.
Green- Petravostok. Once a xenophobic seminomadic race of agriculturists, with a strong link to nature.
Black- Krasholm. The puckered anus of the world, hive of villany and scum. Every sin is here, and they're all ripe for the taking.
White- Proxia. The "City Closest To God", the entire nation considered a holy land.

Smaller nation-states began springing up under the rule of Queens, which are related (but how is unknown, and even the relation is questionably a rumor.) Each Queen takes from two or more of the old nations- they are as follows.

Wild Queen Armiga
- Building off of the Icarum's might and traditions and infusing it with the holy aura of Proxia, the Wild Queen is every bit as holy as she is brutal. She leads an almost Valhallan sentiment to war and strife, a huge colosseum in the city to entertain. While everyone is expected to fight, none are expected to suffer, and physical combat isn't the only paradigm the Wild Queen supports- though, she definitely enjoys watching people rip each other apart.

Primal Queen Nocturine
- Taking the learnings and skills of the Icarum and setting them into the core of Krasholm life, the Primal Queen gives all her charges the finest tools with which to steal, maim, and kill. Hedonistic paradise may describe the land despite the hellish first glance, but the constant turmoil produces some truly fine tools. Icarum forging techniques and the drive to create deadlier arms lead to a lot of unique and fanciful arms coveted in all the lands.

Pragmatic Queen Vitria
- Seeing the value behind Icarum's way of life as well as the bountiful plenty created by Marceli, the Pragmatic Queen is a shark- be her friend or foe. End results mean the most to the Pragmatic Queen, and she will take what results she wants- through war or through trade. Icarum's forging and the blend of two intellectual superpowers leave the Pragmatic Queen in a pole position to reclaim a spot as a world power.

Apex Queen Gliana
- Crossing the offensive strengths of Icarum and the self-dependency of Petravostok, the Apex Queen searches for an "evolutionary peak". Using the technology she's taken to improve not only her nation but their continued chance of survival, she hopes to grow to undeniable strength in a natural way. Predisposed to xenophobia due to her adherence to the desire of evolution, however, she believes that her plans will turn any human race into the perfect breed.

Chaos Queen Nylactae
- A sadistic queen who takes a twisted view on Proxia's tenets, turning them into a glorification of the Krasholm lifestyle. Rather than seek morals, the Chaos Queen sets tenets that seemingly change every day, if they even existed in the first place. The law is lawlessness- dark rituals and justifications for evil separating Nylactae's methods from the old Krasholm style.

Sea Queen Eulodon
- Taking hold of Krasholm's poverty as a step up from the nonexistance of society in the depths, and taking facets learned from the Marceli  from years of interaction with sailors, the Sea Queen is a purveyor of trinkets and baubles, of deep artifacts and things long forgotten. Hers is a land with promise and potential, where things are only just picking up from nothingness, where chaos reigns but hope is sacred and protected.

Vicious Queen Kuroko
- One of two twins, she takes the Petravostok's wild boons and sets up a cold, thorny bush of Krasholm spirit around it, natural law reigns as everyone protects their own. They switch between playful toying with others to extreme and vicious xenophobic reaction, they become one with the land they live in and, to the outside world, taint it with crude magics and phantasms.

Guiding Queen Shiroko
- The second twin, building upon Petravostok ideals and mix in Proxia's holy ways. They form a pleasant way of nature, where the sacrifices made are known and willing, the entirety of the world working to everyone's survival. They are similarly afraid of outsiders, but less directly harmful, and can easily integrate them or help them along in a peaceful way. The outside world sees a normal tract of land becoming a special, holy place, where the sun shines bright and the night cannot entirely darken.

Bastion Queen Wynhilde
- Blending the very open ways of Marceli and the closed-off Petravostok system, the Bastion Queen provides for her nation first and others second, forming close bonds and yet remaining as guarded as possible with her secrets. She values self-sufficiency over profit, preferring friendships over wars but equally prepared for either.

Amalgam Queen Rinnyae
- Seeing no reason that mercantilism should mean the loss of morality, the Amalgam queen mixes equal parts religion and technology. Guaranteed to give a fair deal, although bartering would be an insult- the Amalgam Queen will let her nation profit, but a healthy and trusting friendship is the greatest profit to everyone. While not pacifist, they are not quick to anger, and are not quick to provoke others.

I'm still working out some things, but it is quite fun just to play around with the different elements.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8563 on: November 10, 2014, 06:44:43 pm »

Can anyone explain the basic rules of Perplexicon? I'm working on a variant of it that takes more of an influence from minimalists then arenas, but I can't find any good resources for gamemasters trying to run a spinoff.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8564 on: November 10, 2014, 07:11:11 pm »

I would but I hold minimalists in deep contempt.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 661