Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727480 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Ack. I seem to have permanently misplaced three days of writing for the Avatar thing. I think I managed to get rid of the math without too many problems, so it'll be a lot more user friendly, I guess. Not sure what stats to use, though... Would it be terribly bad to start it now and flesh out the fluff and rules later?
It can work, but I try to avoid it like the plague. Every time I've tried that in the past, it just turns out to be a sign of laziness and haste, and the things collapses.

EDIT: Another issue: It makes it hard for prospective players to figure out if they'd be interested. THERE IS GAME isn't usually as informative as the rules and fluff.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:52:41 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

A bit late, but yeah. Make sure the thing's at least approximately finished before you post it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #8522 on: September 11, 2014, 10:09:54 pm »

Huh, this thread has slipped a bit. I'll bump it with shameless advertisements! ...Shameless advertisement? Hrm.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #8523 on: September 14, 2014, 06:55:20 pm »

Two lines of thought occur to me. One, there aren't a lot of RtDs about living an ordinary life. Two, God, I wish I could have done Welfare Wizards better because that could have been a really cool thing.

How would people feel about an RtD where you play as a vampire, werewolf, wizard, fairy, etc in an urban fantasy setting... But you aren't a cool modern adventurer, you're just a guy trying to pay the rent on time and keep yourself going in a pretty mundane environment with occasional tappings of the supernatural here and there? Think of it like Papers Please or Always Sometimes Monsters crossed with World of Darkness. Silliness is allowed. Hey, there's silly shit in the real world, but that doesn't mean there's no seriously horrible shit or crushing mundanity.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8524 on: September 14, 2014, 07:06:19 pm »

Well...
That would be pretty nice, though... Really, there's not much to say about that, it's a good idea and that's about it for me to say.
Also, What about a Percy Jackson RTD? You know, that really quite good book series, and it would be pretty easy to put in the skills.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8525 on: September 24, 2014, 08:24:14 pm »

I'm working on way too many projects at once. I've known this for sometime, but I just looked at my folders and like 90% of the things I'm "working on" are in the "Get the basics finished" phase, which makes it rather hard to do anything with the concepts.

That's all unrelated though. Anyway, over the course of today, I've completed the basics for something silly, but I'm not sure whether it would be better off as a standard forum game or as a RTD. Leading towards RTD at the moment, but I'll throw the basic idea out here first, so that I know the proper place to put it. Also I guess to see if anyone even wants it. I've got a lot more stuff than what is in this post, but this is just the initial concept. (Okay yeah I actually dumped fair bit of it in here, probably more than necessary.)

You are residents of a typical dwarven fortress. But you're not dwarves. That's been done far too often, and doesn't usually go anywhere interesting. You're cats. Part of a hivemind of cats of course. Being 1 cat would complicate things somewhat. Each player starts in control of 10 cats(placeholder number, subject to change). The sex(physical) distribution of those cats is up to the players. It should be noted that dwarven fortresses are a... dangerous environment, so keep that in mind. To keep things simple, kittens age extremely quickly. It still takes multiple turns though. Depending on the one running things, and how they're being run, I'd suggest making a turn either a day, a week, or a month.

Intelligence of an individual cat is probably about the level of a child. A dwarven child. Cats have to be nearby each other to benefit from the hive mind the most.

Now, the typical dwarf fortress player generally wouldn't allow a mass of cats to exist, but this game stops that somewhat. The dwarves do NOT have a hive mind. This has downsides of course. However, The fortress occupants still have opinions about cats, both individually and as a whole, so be careful not to expose your intelligence. Immigration probably effects how the fortress views cats positively for current dwellers, but negatively for the immigrants as they some adopt the fort's views. The extremety of these changes depends on ratio of immigrants to fortress dwellers.

Individual Dwarves probably won't have data listed unless they do anything particularly important.

Cats brainwashing dwarves seems amusing enough to add in, so its a thing. Obviously it takes time, and the more cats the better.

Not sure what the actual GOAL of this might be, but making dwarves inept enough to need help from cats for the fortress to survive is the simplest conclusion. This could probably be run as a suggestion game with commands from the forums as well.

So, any thoughts?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8526 on: September 24, 2014, 11:48:07 pm »

So, any thoughts?
Sounds pretty hilarious, but I do think you need some kind of goal or, better yet, series of goals. Possibly just varying situations where the witless dwarves might be especially affected by cunning if disjointed kittens. Murder mystery, vampire on the loose, someone forgot to shut the floodgate, everybody's on break while the traders are waiting...
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8527 on: September 25, 2014, 12:38:23 am »

Yeah, not having a goal is kind of a problem. I did indeed have intentions to make things happen in the fort periodically. It wouldn't be a dwarf fortress without random Fun. (Or planned Fun, that would probably be best.) As usual, I don't I'd be the right one to run this thing, but it'd probably involve defining a fair bit about the fort and its occupants beforehand. Anyway, main question I kinda want answered is this. Which of the below seems more applicable?
1: RTD where everyone gets their own swarm. (As a handwave or something, different hiveminds carry different true intelligences, losing enough cats means death essentially. Joining minds could be a last resort or something I guess. Gives individual players a way to lose, and further motivation to expand and be able to do more stuff.)
2: Suggestion game. (Would probably be simultaneously harder and easier for the gm due to various factors. Also sort of gives a better chance for people to rp as part of the hivemind kinda?)
3: RTD where everyone shares a swarm? (Really iffy about this. For lack of a better way of explaining, I guess I kind of prefer the RTD system for its immediate consequences and rewards. When you increase the scope, it just seems like it'd feel meh. "Well, a cat died from rolling a one. Well, I've got 50 more where that came from." A suggestion game would probably still have dice, it just wouldn't really be an RTD. More focus would be on the players' plans than on the roll of the dice.)

And one other weird question I guess. Should cats exist throughout the fort that aren't part of a hivemind?

Unrelated sidenote, inspiration hit the moment I typed that. We have our antagonist, evil catmind. Or perhaps dogmind? Heh. Just throwing that out there.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8528 on: September 25, 2014, 12:49:16 am »

Or all the other animalhiveminds trying to gain a foothold. Better encourage that rabbit skull industry or ally with the cavies~

As for the system, I'd suggest individual swarms. Suggestion games and shared resources tend to feature less individual responsibility, which I'm not as fond of.

For unaligned cats, I don't see why or why not. If there's any reason for them, sure. If there's any reason to avoid them, I guess not. Otherwise I guess it just comes down to a stylistic choice. Do you want there to be cats which are not hivemind-compatible?

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: September 25, 2014, 01:38:40 am »

Yeah, figured as much about suggestion games. Input is nice. Players will probably form loose teams anyway for survival of the species anyway unless we make this some crazy underground civil war for cats.

As for unaligned cats, there's probably not much of a reason. It was just a thing I was considering. Like, maybe it'd allow players to occasionally add new members to the swarm. Its a big fort and sometimes people have "pet" cats by themselves. You'd probably have to do scouting to find that sort of thing. If things start going badly and cats start being butchered there might be a chance to rescue some or whatever. Just some examples.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: October 16, 2014, 03:29:10 am »

Thinking about making an arena-style RTD using characters that players made from TCM's Roll to Dodge Princess Celestia assuming I get his permission. Is there any interest in this? Has this kind of game been played already? Link please if it has?
If I do play this game Simon and Kamina will not be playable. Simon because his mech eventually becomes UNIVERSE-SIZED and Kamina because he REINCARNATES as the UNIVERSE-SIZED MECH! They are just so stupidly overpowered it's not even funny.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8531 on: October 16, 2014, 07:06:14 am »

I'm having some troubles with thinking up a better critical hit dice chart and blocking/dodge chart. Because tbh you either critically hit or you don't same for blocking. This is what i currently have. I'm open to suggestions or is this good enough?

2b. Fortunately you don't have to get stabbed but unfortunately neither does your opponent since both of you can attempt to dodge or even parry. Dodging is simple, you either dodge, parry or you don’t dodge. You can dodge into something unfortunate, but I will assume that you will always dodge towards the least dangerous way.

(1) No dodge: You failed to dodge.
(2) No dodge: You failed to dodge.
(3) No dodge: You failed to dodge.
(4) Dodge: You dodged the attack:
(5)Dodge: You dodged the attack.
(6)Parry: You parried the attack and counterattacked.

Parrying an attack invokes an additional attack which cannot be dodged or blocked by mundane means since the target failed that part already. Successful hits cancel whatever the target wanted to do after trying to hit you.

2c. You epic hit your target, he failed to dodge, can it get any better? Hell yeah it can, critical hits! Now you can utterly kill your target instead of ‘simply’ killing. Like dodging, you either critically hit or you don’t. Since it drastically increases your damage, they won’t be easy to get.

(1) No critical hit.
(2) Critical hit.
(3) No critical hit.
(4) No critical hit.
(5) No critical hit.
(6) Critical hit.
(7) No critical hit.
(8) No critical hit.
(9) No critical hit.
(10)Critical hit.

Critical hits increase the damage done from 2a by 2x. Some weapons, passives or perks can increase this to higher values.

If you have a to critical modifier, like +1 to critical hits, and you roll a 3 then it will not increase to 4 where you don’t get a critical hit.

And i refer to 2a, here's the piece of text for that bit.
Swinging a sword is one thing, but hitting something with that swinging sword is another. To see if you hit something you need to look at this chart. For melee it’s called to hit and for ranged it’s called accuracy.

To hit/Accuracy table:
(1)Miss: You completely missed your target.
(2)Block : The enemy blocked your hit.
(3)Glancing Hit : You barely hit your target, but the damage is lessened, 0.8x damage applies.
(4)Successful hit: Regular hit, normal damage applies.
(5)Crushing Hit: You strike a weak spot, 1.2x damage applies.
(6)Epic Hit : You perfectly strike your opponent, 1.4x damage applies.

The damage applied takes your weapons damage and amplifies it by whatever your rolled.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:24:03 am by Mr.Zero »
Durrr..

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: October 16, 2014, 03:38:35 pm »

Well, firstly, I think that rolling a 6 on attacking should be rewarded less. The enemy rolls and if he gets a 6 the attack is blocked/cancelled but with no counter-attack.
Secondly, I would say reduce the effective chance of getting a crit from one in five to one in ten.
Thirdly, I think rolling a 6 would mean rolling on the critical hit chart. So as not to unbalance attacking and defending, the x1.4 bonus should be replaced with the critical x2 bonus. If a critical hit isn't rolled then it stays as a x1.4.
Fourthly, I think counter-attacks should still be available if the defender rolls a 6, but should also be available if the attacker rolls a 1. For example, if the attacker rolls a 1 and the defender rolls a 3, the defender gets to counter-attack.
Finally, if if the attacker rolls a 1 and the defender rolls a 6, or the defender rolls a 1 and the attacker rolls a 6, a critical hit should be automatically granted.

With this system, the attacker should still have an inherent advantage over the defender, but not quite so high as to be too punishing.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8533 on: October 16, 2014, 04:33:56 pm »

Well, firstly, I think that rolling a 6 on attacking should be rewarded less. The enemy rolls and if he gets a 6 the attack is blocked/cancelled but with no counter-attack.
Secondly, I would say reduce the effective chance of getting a crit from one in five to one in ten.
Thirdly, I think rolling a 6 would mean rolling on the critical hit chart. So as not to unbalance attacking and defending, the x1.4 bonus should be replaced with the critical x2 bonus. If a critical hit isn't rolled then it stays as a x1.4.
Fourthly, I think counter-attacks should still be available if the defender rolls a 6, but should also be available if the attacker rolls a 1. For example, if the attacker rolls a 1 and the defender rolls a 3, the defender gets to counter-attack.
Finally, if if the attacker rolls a 1 and the defender rolls a 6, or the defender rolls a 1 and the attacker rolls a 6, a critical hit should be automatically granted.

With this system, the attacker should still have an inherent advantage over the defender, but not quite so high as to be too punishing.

good thinking.

So you mean something like this?
I'm having some troubles with thinking up a better critical hit dice chart and blocking/dodge chart. Because tbh you either critically hit or you don't same for blocking. This is what i currently have. I'm open to suggestions or is this good enough?

Swinging a sword is one thing, but hitting something with that swinging sword is another. To see if you hit something you need to look at this chart. For melee it’s called to hit and for ranged it’s called accuracy.

To hit/Accuracy table:
(1)Miss: You completely missed your target.
(2)Block : The enemy blocked your hit.
(3)Glancing Hit : You barely hit your target, but the damage is lessened, 0.8x damage applies.
(4)Successful hit: Regular hit, normal damage applies.
(5)Crushing Hit: You strike a weak spot, 1.2x damage applies.
(6)Epic Hit : You perfectly strike your opponent, you get to roll on the critical hit chart. If you succeed you do 2x damage, if not you do 1.4x damage.

The damage applied takes your weapons damage and amplifies it by whatever your rolled.

2b. Fortunately you don't have to get stabbed but unfortunately neither does your opponent since both of you can attempt to dodge or even parry. Dodging is simple, you either dodge, parry or you don’t dodge. You can dodge into something unfortunate, but I will assume that you will always dodge towards the least dangerous way.

(1) No dodge: You failed to dodge.
(2) No dodge: You failed to dodge.
(3) No dodge: You failed to dodge.
(4) Dodge: You dodged the attack:
(5)Dodge: You dodged the attack.
(6)Parry: You parried the attack and counterattacked.

Parrying an attack invokes an additional attack which cannot be dodged or blocked by mundane means since the target failed that part already. Successful hits cancel whatever the target wanted to do after trying to hit you.

Also when your opponent rolls a 1 or 2 on the to hit table, and you roll a 3 or higher on the dodge/block roll, you get off a free parry.

2c. You epic hit your target, he failed to dodge, can it get any better? Hell yeah it can, critical hits! Now you can utterly kill your target instead of ‘simply’ killing. Like dodging, you either critically hit or you don’t. Since it drastically increases your damage, they won’t be easy to get.

Before you look at the chart do any of these 2 situations apply to you?
Did you roll a 6 and the attacker a 1? Your attack automatically critically hits.
Did you roll a 1 and the attacker a 6? The attacker's parries and critically hits you.

If neither of these situations apply look at the chart below.

(1) No critical hit.
(2) Critical hit.
(3) No critical hit.
(4) No critical hit.
(5) No critical hit.
(6) Critical hit.
(7) No critical hit.
(8) No critical hit.
(9) No critical hit.
(10)Critical hit.
(11) No critical hit.
(12) No critical hit.

Critical hits increase the damage done from 2a by 2x instead of 1.4x. Some weapons, passives or perks can increase this to higher values.

If you have a to critical modifier, like +1 to critical hits, and you roll a 3 then it will not increase to 4 where you don’t get a critical hit.

And i refer to 2a, here's the piece of text for that bit.

I also upped the critical hit chart. You now have a 3/12 chance to critically hit and 6/12 if you get a +1 to critical hit chance rolls. I find this a fair increase and especially when i don't plan to add a lot of + to critical hit chance on passives/etc.

Durrr..

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8534 on: October 16, 2014, 04:46:39 pm »

Also when your opponent rolls a 1 or 2 on the to hit table, and you roll a 3 or higher on the dodge/block roll, you get off a free parry.
I would say here that if it's a 1 or 2 the requirement should be a 4 and if it's a solid 1 then it can be a 3.

As for the new critical hit chance I think it's too high at the moment. Criticals should be critical to a fight and should be apparent in their relative rarity. Maybe decrease it to a 2 in 12 and up to a 4 in 12 with a +1 to crits.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 05:04:48 pm by Andres »
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 661