Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727577 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

The sad thing is that I honestly can't tell if you are, Irony. You do run a lot of magical girl games, or at least that's the impression I have.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

Well, this RTD certainly sounds interesting.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Well obviously it does. I watched it because of TWoOtA, how everyone kept mentioning it there. I read FFS's theories on entropy.
Alright. I won't be turning into one of those people who's only here for that magical girls thread though, and if I do, euthanize me. No, wait, don't; wrong "guilty pleasure". Euthanize me if I become a brony. :P
But then you wouldn't be able to join my magical filly game!

Hard Mode: Guess if I'm joking or not.
It's a potential joke. Shrödinger's punch line.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

nightcrafter27

• Bay Watcher
  • Extrapolator Extrodinator
    • View Profile

I'd like to run a pretty simplistic Halo 3: ODST RTD in the near future. Would anyone be interested in playing?

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to run a pretty simplistic Halo 3: ODST RTD in the near future. Would anyone be interested in playing?

Your best shot would be to create the thread and make a compelling first post.  That would show players that you are serious about it, and what they are getting into.  Sadly, I am not interested in Halo, but I wish you the best of luck.

I'm going to try to get my own RTD up and running this weekend.  I can only plan it for so long.  I'm worried about all the usual stuff.  Will players find it fun?  Will it have staying-power?  Do I have enough player choice, etc?

I have a rough outline of the plot, but I'm not sure how to tie things in so that players stay engaged the whole time.  I have to come up with various short term goals, hints about the overarching plot, NPC's for them to fight/interact with.  It's tough.  I think the best I can do now, is to just go for it.  Just start the thread, get the ball rolling, and bullshit it as I go.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As someone with a few years of RTD experience under my belt, both GMing and playing, I say that if you can get a handful of dedicated players to join your RTD, you can keep running it for a long time. In the long-run, I find while the players having fun is always a major issue, the question of whether you as a GM are having fun is probably the most essential.

Develop a lot of groundwork and general ideas, but don't focus on making specific situations. I find that Bay12ers are clever enough that you will find them creating scenarios you had never thought of beforehand. Be adaptable.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the advice.  Don't get me wrong, I have no intention of railroading the players.  It's more like... just creating the world around them.  Who are the people who live in the main town?  Especially the ones the players will interact with primarily?  I'm concerned about the balance between combat and noncombat  activities as well.  Also, I'm trying to figure out how much money to give the players at the start and as they progress.  It's primarily for consumables and a few other knick knacks.  I'm not making them worry about managing weapons and armor, when in most JRPG's each piece of equipment is better than the last.  That would be kinda boring, so I'm just assuming for the most part equipment is equal, and everything is just sidegrades.

The game is going to be, for the most part, a dungeon crawl.  Throughout that dungeon crawl will be all kinds of stuff, the main plot, quests, random shenanigans, whatever I feel like or the players direct us to. 

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Hmm. Thread up yet, Slayer? If not, can I pre-in? >.> Kinda interested in a dungeon crawl, I haven't done one in a long time. Also, can you tell us some more about the setting, like... semi-realistic medieval, fantasy with odd races, etc.?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, sorry the thread is not up yet.  I'm still at work >.> (Shhh!)  Sure you can have a spot.  I may end up having two parties going around if I think I can manage it, and there is enough interest.  Not to mention wait list if people die.  (Resurrection is a thing though if you can recover the corpse, and you need less corpse than in ER, it's magic)

The setting is the game Etrian Odyssey for the DS/3DS, so feel free to look that up if you want.  There are a few different settings across all 5 Etrian Odyssey games, but the one our game will take place in is a combination of all of them.  Our game will take place a good time after the events of any of the games.

A general rundown of the setting.  It's fantasy, most characters are human, but there is a specific class that is a robot, and there are a minority of Vessels ( http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130323164522/etrian/images/8/87/Arcanist.png ) or Sentinels ( A type of animal folk, like minotaur or fox person, I don't have a convenient picture on hand).  I'm not limiting to Vessels or Sentinels to the class they are normally limited to in the games, no reason to do so.  That said, those races should be uncommon.  There are also the forest folk, who are plant-like, and they live in the dungeon.  You may not play as them though.

There's swords and shields and armor and magic and guns and giant swords using magitech of a sort.  There are airships (powered mostly by magic, I suppose.  Magic fuel).  Three similar magic classes that use the fire/ice/lightning trinity, get their power from three vastly different sources.  The Alchemist uses science, magic, err... magic science.  The Zodiac uses Astrology.  And the Runemaster uses, well runes, I guess the science of magic.

I'll PM you my class list.  I'll try to get a thread up tomorrow (Friday)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

All right, cool. Thanks. I'm reading over the PM now. ^^^ I'll do what I can to have a character up if the thread goes up tomorrow but I have work (night shift, 6P-6A) so I might not be able to put it up until after I get home.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hah, I'm night shift too, but not THAT shift.  (3:30PM-1AM)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Ah, second shift. That's not so bad. Job I had before this one was second shift as well, but it kinda sucked 'cause all the forum games were most active while I was at work. :X

I just wanna work as a librarian during normal hours ._.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bad? No its awesome!

In any case, don't worry about being too active with my RTD, I doubt its going to be moving too fast.  I'm only going to be posting once a day, usually.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

As long as you enjoy it, it's a good shift, right? ^^^ I think I'll probably be rolling Protector when it starts up.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As something of note.  I felt the defender triad (protector/hoplite/fortress) are all so similar, and otherwise I want to make sure being a defender is fun.  You can draw skills from any of them.  There's a lot of overlap anyway.  The main difference is Protector uses swords, Hoplite uses Spears, and Fortress uses maces.  And some other flavor stuff that doesn't matter.

You know, I just had a thought.  I wonder if the game should be cinematic?  As in, regardless of what the result actually is, we RP stuff to be awesome.  Like... I remember watching Eyeshield 21, an anime about football, and they did crazy stuff like teleporting through the other team, and passes like lasers.  But that wasn't what REALLY was happening, it was just cinematic.

It might be cool, but on the other hand it might be excessive.  The later the game goes the more cool things you'll get to do anyway, and fights become harder.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:11:24 am by Slayer1557 »
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 661