Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728800 times)

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

Are people still interested in random loot killfests? I remember those being popular a few years back
That'd be interesting, since we haven't seen that in a while. I believe the last "big" game with that premise was Looter's Delight 2, which just kinda ceased activity at some point.
EDIT: GWG ran a christmas themed version of Looter's Delight back in December, but that didn't last for long,
On bionicle RTD: I'd be willing to research the lore and sign up. Wasn't there one special mask that a matoran could use?
I don't think so. You may be just thinking of the time when Takua used the Mask of Light at the end of the first movie. I'l read the article again to see if it lists any such thing, just in case. Oh, and for anyone interested, here's what I use for checking lore and stuff, since it has basically everything you'l need there.
Isn't that the Toa or something? Honor masks? Insert similar sounding names here?

Bionicles always confused me because there are like six races, but two thirds of them are amalgamations of the names of other races.
Yeah, there's actualy a bunch of races besides Matoran. Here's the link to all the named races, and here's the link to all the unnamed races, of which there are a lot. Not that I'd use most of the unnamed ones, since there isn't really much info on them to make use of.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:13:47 am by darkpaladin109 »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

Will the less common matoran variants like psionics and iron be availiable?
It's FEF, not FEOF

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

Will the less common matoran variants like psionics and iron be availiable?
If anyone wants to pick them, yes.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

In the desperate future, after the world's destruction, somewhere south of the safety zones. There is a place where the only justice that can be found is at the end of a gun barrel. Where death is only a second away. Where every minute is a killer fight for survival in a ruined world. The only option left, is to keep firing and never, ever stop moving. Welcome to...

... Pardon that, I was getting a little into this. Anyway, I've come up with a fun idea for an RTD. It takes place in an 70s/80s idea of the future, including cyborgs, mutants, a post-nuclear dystopia, and general absurdity. Everything is randomized. The maps, the weapons, the player's abilities, the armor, the vehicles, you name it.

Another thing is that everything is meant to be incredibly fast. The map is 20 tiles by 20 tiles (at the start), and a player without a vehicle can walk five in a turn, and across the entire map in four turns. A vehicle's speed multiples this, meaning that a starting vehicle (if the rolls are lucky) can get across the entire map in a turn. This should hopefully prevent stretches of time where everyone is just moving somewhere and not doing anything.

I'm using the generators from my sig that Digital Hellhound was using for his RTD. I imagine both of ours will be different in a few ways. For example, even the stats themselves are totally randomized, with the better equipment getting a larger die for stats.

The structure would be an objective-based mission with competitive elements. It's not a straight arena as those can be very boring, but killing the other players in encouraged. There would be a list of objectives where one is given after one is completed, with only one objective being present at any one time. The person who completes an objective gets a certain amount of cash for it. Whoever completes the last or first objective gets extra cash for it, and even more if they managed to complete both the first and last objectives.

So, the two questions I ask is as follows: would anyone be interested in a fast-paced mission RTD with randomly generated equipment, and which name for it would be better: Infinite Destruction or Bloodlands Turbo? My brother likes the former but I have a fondness for the latter. And yes, they are both meant to sound cheesy as hell. Think of them being on the cover of a cult classic 80s action movie or a badly translated SNES game and you'll see why I named them like that. Fun fact, they're both technically randomly generated as well. The only thing that isn't randomly generated in this RTD is the premise, it seems.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Put your money where your mouth is and make the damn thing. I'd be in in a heartbeat.
Bloodlands Turbo, in my opinion. I got the exact, cheesy action-flick vibe you were going for.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile

I think I'd be interested. Gotta love some cheesiness.
And I like Infinite Destruction slightly more, but from the sounds of things, Bloodlands Turbo suits the game better.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, looks like it's Bloodlands Turbo. Excelleeeeeent. I'll try to get working on it. I think the system is going to be a regular D6 with not incredibly advanced combat rules apart from stats. Basically, freeform actions with general dice results.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Jeez, every time I come back to secretly check up on this subforum the games have gotten bigger and more complex. It just looks so... legit now.

That's right, I'm secretly judging you all. Yes, even you. Escpecially you.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Then again, there is things like Minimalist RTDs that pull down the complexity standard a bit.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

I miss the in between.

Come back to us Gat! This forum needs you!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

I specialize in the in-between. That is, RTDs that are way more complex than they have any right to be and fizzle out before they really even get started.

The best of both worlds! ...Right?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

I specialize in the in-between. That is, RTDs that are way more complex than they have any right to be and fizzle out before they really even get started.

The best of both worlds! ...Right?
I thought that's what I did?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Really I think the problem is in setting up the expectation of a story. It would at least bring closure to the players if the GM just suddenly blurted out "AND THEN THE [TAVERN/SPACE STATION/UNDERWATER CITY/PLANET EXPLODED BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL PSYCHOPATHS" rather than just letting the thread peter out. But a story just arises naturally even if you didn't intend one to start with, so inevitably there's going to be disappointment. Unless you're an RTD machine like lawas and actually finish things. But that's just ridiculous.

Though I'm a little concerned this may suffer from Temple of Doom Syndrome, wherein the beginning is arguably more awesome than any other part of it.
See, I just cut out the boring parts.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Really I think the problem is in setting up the expectation of a story. It would at least bring closure to the players if the GM just suddenly blurted out "AND THEN THE [TAVERN/SPACE STATION/UNDERWATER CITY/PLANET EXPLODED BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL PSYCHOPATHS" rather than just letting the thread peter out. But a story just arises naturally even if you didn't intend one to start with, so inevitably there's going to be disappointment. Unless you're an RTD machine like lawas and actually finish things. But that's just ridiculous.

Though I'm a little concerned this may suffer from Temple of Doom Syndrome, wherein the beginning is arguably more awesome than any other part of it.
See, I just cut out the boring parts.

But your games were entertaining all the way through though.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Hey, there's a presence I haven't sensed in many moons! How's tricks, Gat?
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 661