Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728470 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

But then the terrorists will win.

I am now picturing LethalFeline saying this entire post. Anyway, Draignean is correct in that generally the least amount of things necessary to keep track of is best. If you feel that that many skills will make things simple for you, the GM, in the long run then so much the better... and if you feel that partitioned armor will be simpler for you to remember, then go nuts. I just want to express personal doubts on that, though, and say 'armor that deducts the same amount of damage all the time' is best. Just say 'X is wearing iron armor which reduces 2 damage from all incoming attacks' for simplicity's sake, and if you want to make it more complicated give armor health too and have it take damage by the amount it reduces every time. Then you can add modifiers if you wanted to for more simple complexity, like 'masterwork iron armor deducts two damage from all incoming attacks but only receives one damage itself so it lasts twice as long' and 'shoddy iron armor deducts two damage from all incoming attacks but has half the durability of normal iron armor'. That sort of thing.

/2cents
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Suddenly, Draignean comes in and bulldozers even the simplest of posts. :D

I do agree with Harry Baldman, with experience from a similar armor system. Unless you're automating that partitioned armor, it's going to become a pain quickly. Players will also swap out their armor as soon as it becomes convenient.
Experience? Do tell, I'm legitimately curious what game has partitioned armor. Anyway, coming from you I... guess can believe it.

Also, remember, "convenient" can vary wildly depending on what the GM throws at them. If I really legitimately end up disliking how much they change armor I could throw enemies with no armor or weaker armor. Yes, I know that's not perfect but it's always an option. :P

*Shrug* I don't like it when people say that something is supposed to be a certain way. It brings out my militantly open minded side.

Anyway, D22's armor system was what I was thinking of. Same idea, just with 1/8th the moving parts. Granted D22 armors have more things to track per component, but most of those are static values. (Hardoak/Softsoak for each of the damage type) Keeping track of 8 components that all be exposed to different types of damage in a round, and that can all have different properties, is at least 8 times as hard per unit. Just bear in mind that you're not just tracking this across the players, you're tracking it across the players and everyone and everything they meet. Plus you'll need systems for armored non-human monsters, ships and siege engines, magical constructs, and everything else the players might decide to punch in the face.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

Okay, I've got the basics of what I want down on paper, and now it all needs balanced. As for health, I'm thinking of having a system similar to ER, where how well you do on your to-hit roll determines damage, and roll on a limb chart to see where the target gets hit. Sorry if the following seems rambley, it's three in the morning here and I should have been asleep five hours ago.

Spoiler: Artifacts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hazards (click to show/hide)
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I'm thinking about doing a minimalist, genericish fantasy RPG thing. I kinda just want to set it loose and see what happens. But there are tons of those out there already. It wouldn't be a serious one though, as I enjoy reading the zany ones like YOU AT DERAIL.

...thoughts? I haven't really participated in this part of the forum before. I lurk and read these sometimes but never join any. But GMing seems like more fun for some reason.  :D

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

I'm thinking about doing a minimalist, genericish fantasy RPG thing. I kinda just want to set it loose and see what happens. But there are tons of those out there already. It wouldn't be a serious one though, as I enjoy reading the zany ones like YOU AT DERAIL.

...thoughts? I haven't really participated in this part of the forum before. I lurk and read these sometimes but never join any. But GMing seems like more fun for some reason.  :D
Hm, a first time GM, eh? I'm a kinda new GM too, but that's not really important right now.
A minimalist RTD sounds like a good idea to get acquainted to GMing, so go for it, I guess.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Doooo eeeeett. And link it here so I can play.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Doooo eeeeett. And link it here so I can play.

Kay. XD Done and done.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile

Just a note, minimalist doesn't often lend itself to giving it a genre, like fantasy. Minimalism pretty much supersedes any other classification, since people will do the most bizarre things possible.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

After writing the latest post, I have to wonder if it's minimalist. I sort of got carried away. I also have to wonder if I know what the hell I'm talking about.  :P

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

After writing the latest post, I have to wonder if it's minimalist. I sort of got carried away. I also have to wonder if I know what the hell I'm talking about.  :P
Who really cares at this point, it's absolutely hilarious :P
Can't wait to see how it progresses.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile

Minimalist also means you don't have to know what you're talking about. :)
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm tempted to make Roll to Deathrun. For those who aren't aware, its based on a map in a number of games, (tf2, zombie survival, gmod to name the ones I know) that spawns the players at the bottom of the hill, and throws junk down the hill. Players have to make it to the top to win. Lethality is about as high as you would expect, and anyone winning is kinda rare. Does this sound like a good idea.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

I'm tempted to make Roll to Deathrun. For those who aren't aware, its based on a map in a number of games, (tf2, zombie survival, gmod to name the ones I know) that spawns the players at the bottom of the hill, and throws junk down the hill. Players have to make it to the top to win. Lethality is about as high as you would expect, and anyone winning is kinda rare. Does this sound like a good idea.

TF2 is so wacky nowadays that any RTD based off of it is bound to be funny.
Side note: Someone should also do a VS SAXTON HALE RTD
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What do people consider about pairings? To give an example. A Master & Slave/Servant/Pet relation, One controls, one is a powerhouse. with 2 players?
Durrr..

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

I consider pairings fine so long as:

1: They are both equally interesting, so there doesn't exist a situation where one type is more desired.
2: They can both either do damage to eachother in some form, or not be able to do damage to eachother at all, so there isn't a one-way punishment which can potentially frustrate the one being punished.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 661