Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727638 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7740 on: February 12, 2014, 03:31:52 pm »

Well I'm currently working on yet another RTD system (I can't help it, its fun to make them even if I might never run them ;-;), and the one I am currently making is a Dark Souls RTD that utilizes the combat system I posted awhile back, and a rather large amount of other systems to make it as similar to Dark Souls as possible while keeping it as fun to play as possible.

-----------------------------------------------------

Spoiler: Invasions & Summoning (click to show/hide)

This is currently all the system work I have done at the moment, I'm still working on the background & plot stuff along with the systems for miracles/spells/pyromancies. I've still got to start writing up the classes and gifts for character creation, enemy profiles, and such but its making decent progress at least :P

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7741 on: February 17, 2014, 09:07:00 am »

More on that Strike Witches meets Kill la Kill meets... all the rest of the madness:

PCs start out with anywhere between 16-24 Mana.
0 Mana- Not a witch at all. In this world, the highest recorded mana of a human male is about 7.
10 Mana- Average amount required to run a Strike Gear. Note that to safely operate one, you should have at least 14 mana.
20 Mana- Certified one-star witch. You can run two strike gears if you've got about 24 mana, but you're sacrificing magic skills.
30 Mana- Certified two-star witch. Soon, you can run a complete Strike Gear set, should you wish to do so.
40 Mana- Certified three-star witch. You can use a full Strike Gear set and still cast magic.
50+ Mana- "Gold Star" witch. Very rare, anyone with this much mana is probably going to be commanding your commander.

The highest amount of mana recorded in youth (3 years of age) is 22, and the average is much lower. So how do you get a 50+ Mana witch?

The more you use mana, the bigger your reserves get, until it caps off at your total natural potential. The PCs won't have a cap, or if they do, it will be ridiculously high (64, I'm thinking). Problem is, you'll have to survive that long...

Strike Gears and You
Strike Gears come in Legs, Torso, and Arms. Similarly to Strike Witches, the Leg units require a near-skin contact, however, Torso and Arm units are simpler and only require certain areas of contact- usually the forearms and back are enough. Uniforms for higher-ranking Witches often reflect this.

Leg units are the most important unit and are required to fight at all. They have different designations, which give different combat skills and abilities. A basic Fighter might be able to use basic magic skills (shielding, weapons enhancing) at a lower cost, or have a few missiles attached to the unit.

I plan to be using US military designations, but might add or change a few and record that later. I also need to write up a bunch of possible skills, so that you could have similar Strike Gears with different abilities...

Not Enough Mana
How does one become a powerful, two or three star Witch? Easy:
Complete a mission alive- even crash-land halfway through, and you'll be more experienced.
That experience allows you to level up.
Depending on a few factors, you will gain anywhere from 1-5 Mana, the average being 2-4. A -1 or +1 may be given based on performance, and witches have natural mana growth of 2, 3, or 4 per level. The "slow" growth track allows more points to be spent elsewhere, while the "fast" (4) makes it harder to compensate for other skills.

The Power of Friendship!
It's good for the PCs to be friends with one another... most of the time. Attacking a single target together with a friend increases the overall effect and damage... so long as neither of you get a 1 and screw things up. There are different levels of friendship:

1. Friendly
This is the basic level of friendship- having this with another unit enables team attacks.
2. Good Friends
In addition to team attacks, unit has a small (1/3) chance of performing a Retaliation attack whenever the friend is critically wounded.
3. Best Friends
Team attacks now do no damage to units if they fail, and units get a +1 to guarding their friend and a +2 if the friend is attempting to retreat.
4. OTP/ Platonic Lesbians
A unit may only have one of this type of relationship. Retaliation attacks always trigger, team attacks do no damage on failure, these units get +1 to guarding each other and +2 if one is trying to retreat, and they get an extra point to mana growth if they level up after a mission they were both present for.

Critical Existence Failure
Dying is a thing that will happen. Sometimes, you might not die, but will be unable to continue fighting, which has it's own set of problems depending on who you're working for.

If someone's friend dies, it causes them emotional trauma equal to how high they are on the scale- losing an OTP is serious business and may render the living half unable to continue fighting.

Crash-landing is what happens when you reach 0HP and it takes 1-3 turns. The first roll made is your Ejection roll- what happened right before you went spiralling out of control. Obviously, a rocket will put you in worse state than an engine malfunction.
Second is the Fall roll- this puts you in position, and determines if you're able to pull out of the fall well enough to not splatter on the ground.
Third is the Location roll- ground sucks to land on, but a city or uneven terrain is worse, and god help you if you're above the Bearing Straits or a similar place.

Injuries are lasting. If you break your leg and arm landing, that will take 6 or so weeks to heal. In that time, if a mission crops up, a temporary replacement Witch will fill your spot. Permanent injury resulting in inability to fight or death results in a permanent replacement. Maybe you'll get lucky and your government will care for you. Maybe.

2:30 Until Sortie

Missions are generally simple. They're a list of objectives, and you need to complete them. Most missions play out as a series of options, as such:

(Option 1: Always Available)- Fly straight to target
(Option 2: Someone has a recon skill)- Cautiously approach target
(Option 3: Someone has Electronic Warfare skill)- Jam enemy radar along approach

Each one leads to a different scenario. In this case, 1 is a fight that should be fairly easy, 2 leads to a small patrol that should be easily stomped, and 3 leads to an attack force that might be a bit of a challenge. The reasoning is- 1 is intercepted, 2 wan't seen until it was too late, and 3 was telegraphing the attack ahead of time and appears more dangerous than any other option.

This continues, some options re-route so that every option leads to the same thing, sometimes choices carry heavy weight to them.
Some options are open or closed depending on who's got what kits, previous choices, etc.

I'd like to make this into a RtD engine that anyone can pick up and run, which isn't impossible. Since scenario creation is so easy and there's so many factions... I also need magic types, magic skills, and all that stuff too...
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7742 on: February 17, 2014, 10:55:25 am »

Working on stats, which is one of my banes. I can never find a system I care for...

Plus, combat is already planned for d6 or d6 pools. Actually, that might work...

HP: How many hits you can take. Some Strike Gears alter this, none reduce it. Similar to MP in growth.
MP: How much mana you can burn. Some Strike Gears alter how this is spent, but none increase it.
POT: How much potential you have. This factors into how much mana you gain after levelling/missions.
VIT: How good you are at resisting damage. Not a combat effect, but crashing can be reduced here.

Among those four stats, you get 48 points to spend among them, MP must not be lower than 16. Four points in Potential is a guaranteed point gained each level, so that 5 points in POT would be one gained point and a 1/4th chance of an additional point.
Vitality works the same way- 4 points is a guaranteed one-stage reduction in damage taken from crashing.

Secondarily, you have three other stats that can range between 1-3. You get one point every rank up you get.
CQC - Close range/ dogfight weaponry uses this.
MIS - Long-range missiles/bombs use this.
BAL - Guns of all types use this.

At first, you will have 6 points to spend. You might choose to be fairly good with all weapons, or sacrifice skill in one area for exceptional talent in another. One point is one die added to the pool. Critical Failures are majority of dice are 1s- with 1 or 2 dice, a single 1 will cause failure, with three, it will take 2 to cause a critical failure. With 2 dice, a 6 offsets a 1, so rolling (6,1) is a null turn- at least you don't hurt yourself.

---

I'm working on the various possible things each designation can add to a Strike Gear, then I'll do magic types and the like.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: February 17, 2014, 11:09:05 am »

I always wondered. If two Strike Witches don Strike Gear and have a violent scuffle using nothing but close combat attacks - is it a catfight or a dogfight?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7744 on: February 17, 2014, 10:52:18 pm »

Hrm.

Dunno. Depends on if one of them is a particular USN witch with the Mass Driver knockoff, really. If she's involved, it's terminal velocity bloodsplatter.

If not, it's a catfight labeled incorrectly as a dogfight, unless both Witches have canine familiars, in which it is a dogfight. Actually, if one of the participants has a familiar other than a cat, it's...

Fuck it. It's a catdogfight.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: February 17, 2014, 10:58:46 pm »

Also. These leg units are bastardly hard to come up with unique things for that could ever be put together coherently.

I mean, I'm up to my neck in built-in weapons and devices, but what can you give to a search/rescue set as an ability? Maybe a reduction in healing mana costs. Sure, but that's ONE ability.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7746 on: February 19, 2014, 04:00:39 am »

Damn, I'm thinking of trying to run a RTD but I've run into an impasse with the skills, while I know what the skills will be (charisma, dexterity, strength, intelligence, will.) I don't know how many points should be allowed at the start, or how many should give a 1+ on the skill, any ideas for that?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7747 on: February 19, 2014, 04:40:43 am »

Damn, I'm thinking of trying to run a RTD but I've run into an impasse with the skills, while I know what the skills will be (charisma, dexterity, strength, intelligence, will.) I don't know how many points should be allowed at the start, or how many should give a 1+ on the skill, any ideas for that?

I thought Harry Baldman's system below works nicely. Might want to add a quarter more points though as you have more skills:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=130326.0

As an aside I think dropping the charisma stat and replacing it with RP is a lovely idea.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7748 on: February 19, 2014, 04:55:19 am »

Yhea, perhaps just having the what the players say would affect how people react, that would be nice.
Ah, now I remember what stat I didn't say, perception.
Edit: alrighty, mystery game finished and raring to go, except I'm not, it's 9 pm here and I need some sleep.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:12:22 am by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7749 on: February 20, 2014, 03:06:59 am »

TWITCH PLAYS POKEMON: THE RTD
=========================
This is going to be confusing.

RULE #0: Standard RTD system, with 6 being either a critical success or an overshoot.

RULE #1: All players control Red/the menus. The last person to post has their action taken. Unless Democracy Mode is engaged, in which case people vote.

RULE #2: You have an ALIGNMENT BAR of Helixism/Domeism. Anarchy Mode boosts Helixism, and Democracy Mode boosts Domeism. Different Pokemon are associated with Helixism/Domeism. You can PRAY to Helix or Dome at the cost of some alignment.

RULE #3: In battle, the first action is to pick which menu to use (no roll). The second is to actually select an option.

RULE #4: When a Pokemon is being named, the first 8 people to post can select characters for the name.

RULE #5: Some areas (such as THE LEDGE) will require multiple consecutive successes to pass.

RULE #6: Some Pokemon, moves, and items may have arbitrary power boosts.

More stuff tomorrow, when I'm less tired.

---

I will probably start this up soon.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: February 20, 2014, 03:19:07 pm »

I'm tempted to do a suggestion game based around the Strike Witches that aren't Strike Witches.

If I do one, who should our main character be?
Celise Scott, USN stationed at Fort Pallas, one-star witch under the command of 3-Star Major Iori Kurou
Derya Levni, OCU aboard the OCU Supercarrier, two-star witch of the HORNET Group
Satomi Aoryu, PRM stationed at the Emperor Palace, South Wing, one-star witch under the command of Callsign PHOENIX
Saya Alderan, RSU stationed at Hidden Base, Desert, one-star witch under the command of Callsign Honey Queen
Tamara Degyatrev, RSF (Russian Special Forces) stationed in Moscow, three-star witch known as Callsign Black Sky

Quick synopsis on the details of each story-
Celise works at the most luxurious base on the planet, has huge latent talent, works directly with her major in large skirmishes when
not enjoying the base. She's most often deployed in large-scale confrontations and accompanies Iori. In this story, general background knowledge is made, and relations between forces are expanded upon.
Derya fights from the OCU Supercarrier and is part of an anti-alien strike group. She'll wind up involved in clandestine operations and spend a week in hell. This story expands on the OCU and what happens when missions go wrong.
Satomi guards VIPs and other political figures. She'll get involved in KEIKAKU. All of the KEIKAKU. This story gives some insight to what goes on when witches aren't too busy shooting each other, or the aliens.
Saya destroys some enemy convoys and uncovers the atrocities of war. Repeatedly. This story shows that being a Witch isn't all that great.
Tamara shoots some aliens, convinces other Witches to shoot the aliens, and gets shot at by aliens. This story explains the aliens in great detail.

Each one will be a different chapter, I think. Order dosen't matter too much, and they'll all probably go in the same thread. There's no Japanese soldier because all it would do would be explaining how magic and Strike Gears work, but provide no real story.

Later today i'll throw the tread up, but go ahead and vote if you want

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7751 on: February 21, 2014, 12:12:13 pm »

I had an idea! An RTD of Beggary!

As you may surmise, it would involve the players being beggars of some kind, presumably the medieval sort. As part of the character creation process, they would choose the reason for their current career - being born on the streets, the debilitating and/or disfiguring effects of disease, advanced age and a lack of relatives, substance abuse, or some combination of all of those. These would, naturally, have effects of their own.

Their objectives, of course, would be to get money and shelter in whatever ways they can in order to prepare for winter, which, as always, is coming, and their avenues of profit would be things like panhandling, naturally, as well as pickpocketing, petty theft, grifting, snitching, mugging and other fun activities.

In addition, there'd obviously be stats to reflect the state of the beggar. I've got a few I thought of:

Pitifulness: the ability to provoke sympathy and keep a low profile! Who knows, it might even keep other beggars from shanking you!
Inventiveness: the ability to build useful objects out of the trash you find lying around as well as working out approaches to problems!
Liveliness: the ability to not succumb to the myriad injuries that tend to plague those of your trade!
Feistiness: the ability to fight like beggars tend to - kicking, screaming, biting and other sorts of wonderful moves can be at your disposal!
Wickedness: the ability to perform acts of thievery and disgrace!

This probably needs some thinking over. Anyhow, putting the idea out there.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7752 on: February 21, 2014, 09:08:54 pm »

Reason for being a beggar: Cursed to constantly loose material goods. Food, money, clothes, they never stick around. Food stays shortest of all. So he's resorted to feeding on other beggars, hobos, and urchins.
Depending on which mechanic the stats run on (+/-, then point bonus, then die pool), with a rough guess to point limit:
Pitifulness: ++ (or 3, or 6)
Inventfulness: ---- (or 0, or 2)
Liveliness: - (or 1, or 4)
Feistiness: + (or 2 or 5)
Wickedness: ++ (or 4, or 8)

Edit: Ooh! Roll to Nemesis.
You create a character, and a slightly stronger evil opposite is generated for you. Using a system adapted from what I imagine mastahcheese's Battle Arena 2.0 (BA2) to be like, as well as taking from Bravely Default (BD) and early Homestruck (HS), your actions take up a unit of time (BA2). You can stuff more action into one action at the cost of it taking more time (BD). But for every action you post, and the more you stuff actions into one, the more your nemesis gets to act (HS). Actions like moving a certain distance don't take much time (BA2+HS); actions like swinging a sword or parrying take more so (BA2+BD); charging up a powerful attack takes a lot (BD+HS).
Character creation is by selecting aspects. These aspects affect the time and difficulty of certain actions; sometimes the connections may not be entirely clear. Each one is worth X points, as set by the GM after the player picks them; the player then may put + or - into the aspect, for said X points each. By putting - into an aspect, you gain points for putting elsewhere, but become the opposite of the aspect. By putting + into an aspect, you spend the points and become more of it. By putting neither into it, you don't spend or gain any points on the aspect and are neutral to it. You may of course pick any number of aspects, and won't spend any points until you +/- them. Once the point value for an aspect has been set, you must make your score equal 0; by subtracting and adding from aspects.
Of course, picking bad aspects (fat, sluggish, lazy, infantile, etc.) will yield a negative cost.
The Nemesis gets to +/- the same stats as you. But for every 2 +s you have, he/she gets 3 +s; he doesn't have to pick more -s. Also, his +s and -s are not reflective of the point value of the aspect!

EG, I pick (some of these may be tropes) Fragile Speedster, Mighty Glacier, Lightning Bruiser, Vampire, Bulletproof, Experienced Fighter, Matrix Bullet Time, Stupid, and War Hammer User.
The points assigned to them are 2, 2, 4, 6, 3, 3, 6, -1, and 1 respectively.
So I assign the points as so:
Lightning Bruiser: +++ (+12)
Vampire: + (+6)
Mighty Glacier: -- (-4)
War Hammer User: ------ (-6)
Bulletproof: ---- (-12)
Fragile Speedster: ++ (+4)
And drop the other aspects.

So my nemesis, gets 12 -s, and 6*1.5=9 +s. He puts the +s into the best stats and -s into the worst and this is the results::
Fragile Speedster: ++  (+4)
Vampire: +++ (+18)
War Hammer User: ------ (-6)
Bulletproof: ++ (+6)
Lightning Bruiser: ++ (+8)
Mighty Glacier: ------ (-12)
Meaning he has around 18 points more than me.

Once players are in, the have to work together to defeat all the nemesis(es? No... that's not it...?). It would be recommended that players pick portfolios of about 20 aspects or so each, for character diversity. Specific aspects that dip too low start to affect other things; for example, neither me nor my nemesis would be good with any weapons, ESPECIALLY war hammers, as a result of our low stats. And weapons other than bullets might start seeming magnetically attracted to me because of my low bulletproof skill.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:26:14 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: February 21, 2014, 11:33:38 pm »

Still working on the Strike Witches amalgam, but here's a THING

RtD: The Highschool

Basically, we take a bunch of RtD characters from other stuff and put them in a highschool together. Hijinks include "Hey, you're me!" and "NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE WHERE I COME FROM."

Also. More thing.

Hotel California Environments
Rolls not only affect what's going on, but the enviroment. Let's say you're trying to stab someone with a knife in a hotel room.
1. A door is flung open in your face. A bunch more doors fling open, and the person you're trying to stab escapes.
2. The man dodges and rolls out of the way. He rolls off into a ventilation duct, which connects to tons of ventilation ducts.
3. The man dodges. He flings open a door and runs down a similar hallway to what you were just in.
4. you manage a minor cut on the man. He bangs against a door, nothing happens.
5. You make a deep cut. Blood pours out, and part of the wall opens up, revealing a roomba factory. Roombas start cleaning the blood.
6. You jump about, shifting local gravity, before slicing the man in two with a knife, as he falls into a yawning grave that wasn't there two seconds ago. You land on a graveyard.

Now, I might include a "theme lock" item. If you wind up in an area you like, theme-lock it, and the changes are less dramatic (example 1 would only lead to more hotel things, for instance). However, every turn it is used, a 20-sided die is rolled. On a 1, the item shorts out and can't be used again for a set amount of time. This item will also function as a weapon, so you will be temporarily defenseless.

that's the idea anyway, probably will never run

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7754 on: February 21, 2014, 11:39:22 pm »

Actually, I would like to do something like Bully but RTD-ified. I imagine the combat would be brutal and primarily focused on beating people into submission. Maybe a willpower stat alongside health that measures how much until a person just starts begging for mercy?
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 661