Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727635 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7725 on: February 10, 2014, 02:27:08 am »

I know, I know. Damnit, balancing is hard.
Then don't let them pick their own attributes, remember, my monkish concentration skill allows me to use any weapon without a penalty and speak even without a weapon because I also don't have any pluses to speech.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7726 on: February 10, 2014, 02:28:54 am »

Already planning so that you can only do that once or twice per day and you need to take at least one turn doing nothing to ready yourself.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7727 on: February 10, 2014, 09:45:57 am »

I have just realised that due to my system, a certain player will ALWAYS get at least a 4, possibly up to a 9 (on a d6!) when attacking with a sword if I do not give penalties due to materials. That player just cut through a steel door with a zanbato. AND HE IS MEANT TO BE A NORMAL PERSON. FUCK ME.

EDIT: At least everyone else seems to be fairly normal. Except the guy who automatically get's a +5 to all 'fisticuffs'. He also gets a chance (a 6 on a d6) for reduced damage whenever he's hit. What have I done?

EDIT2: This is the game where they're meant to be able to get ADAM, Will, Mjolnir Armour and other such goodies to boost their abilities. THEY HAVEN'T GOTTEN THESE THINGS YET AND THEY'RE ALREADY LIKE THIS.

EDIT3: Funnily enough the guy who gets +5 punches also gets -4 on all Int rolls.

This is why, in a game that works on a d6, you do not hand out pluses or minuses like candy. Honestly, I can only see this working out for any length of time if you go with a d12 instead.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k
« Reply #7728 on: February 10, 2014, 11:06:38 am »

I guess... But that means I'd have to... Wait. I forgot that the two in question only get a bonus to inflicting damage, not to hit, and to hit rolls take Dex+skills vs Agi+circumstance. So it should just mean that I would just need to add more enemies to make things more dangerous and balanced.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k
« Reply #7729 on: February 10, 2014, 11:36:03 am »

I guess... But that means I'd have to... Wait. I forgot that the two in question only get a bonus to inflicting damage, not to hit, and to hit rolls take Dex+skills vs Agi+circumstance. So it should just mean that I would just need to add more enemies to make things more dangerous and balanced.

I still say you need to go for a d12, though. Getting a +5 to rolls in a game where you only have a d6 to work with is completely ridiculous, superhuman powers or no. Your system is definitely a failure if a starting character can have a bonus to anything that exceeds one half of the die range.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7730 on: February 10, 2014, 02:01:08 pm »

GM's Note: If you run into a problem figuring resource costs for long distance travel over variable terrain, and your eureka moment is "Oh, well I can just express the terrain difficulty as a polynomial expression and integrate that to determine expenditures!" your system is too complex.
No it isn't. It's perfectly fine.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7731 on: February 11, 2014, 08:29:21 pm »

Idea I had: players are tax collectors after the apocalypse. Basically, they go after tax dodgers (AKA basically anyone since no-one pays taxes after the apocalypse) and first ask them politely to give the money over to them. If they refuse, they shoot them down and take the money off them or at least loot the amount of money required. Players get paid for each mission, which they can spend on feeding their family or extra upgrades. Should be mission-based, with free-roamy in-between bits.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7732 on: February 11, 2014, 08:37:57 pm »

So some of you may have seen that thread I accidentally posted. The XCOM one. Guess what. It's happening. Maybe tonight, If you're very lucky. Maybe tomorrow.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7733 on: February 11, 2014, 08:49:25 pm »

Related to tax collector idea: what's a good way of simulating inflation and deflation of currencies? I tried dividing them based on a number hierarchy ascribed to them, but I found that this wasn't good cos it didn't always make predictable results (Currencies that should have been second-placers turned out to be worth more then the most valuable currency) and I don't want to use a random generator. Any ideas?

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7734 on: February 11, 2014, 08:53:51 pm »

Take what you have from the predictable results, add or subtract up to 10% from that, and have lot of random events that would cause inflation/deflation. Since this is after the apocalypse, then water could be a currency. Say a major river dries up. That sends water prices skyrocketing.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7735 on: February 11, 2014, 11:05:01 pm »

I suddenly want to take equal parts Strike Witches, X-COM, Armored Core, and Kill la Kill, put them neatly on a set of fine china, pour a nice glass of Madoka Magica, then garnish with BODYSLAM.

1. All The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Witches are less plane and more warship. A Witch is ranked with 1-3 stars (normally). 1-star Witches have some magical talent but generally serve as infantry, they generally look like a regular Strike Witches cast member. 1-Stars have small reserves of magic and can't use larger or more complicated Strike Gears. 2-Star witches often lead a group of 1-Stars or deploy to dangerous environments, and have moderate mana reserves. They can use more complicated and encompassing Strike Gears, or retain light armor to have more magic at their disposal. Three-Star witches are rare on a battlefield unless a major battle is underway or the mission requires only the best. Capable of using nearly any Strike Gear and casting potent magic, Three-Star witches are not to be trifled with.

2. We were all having a nice war until the aliens showed up
The world is not in a good state right now. Multiple factions vie for control. The war is still young when an Australia-sized object lands in the Pacific Ocean and starts spewing aliens all over the place.
List O' Factions:
UCS/Project Evergreen: North America, South America, Canada, Europe (Western)
OCU/Interior Union:Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Pacific Islands, India, Southeastern Asia
PRM/Imperial Guard:China, Thailand
RSU/Sun Sisterhood:Middle East, India, Africa
RA/Degyatrev Unit:Russia, some of Eastern Europe.
Independent: Japan
Other: The Aliens.

United Continental States
The USA has become a supercontinent, although little has changed. The UCS's populace ranges from doing well to dirt poor, and dissent groups exist. Europe is still a separate country."Project Evergreen" is the UCS Witch project.
Oceania Community Union
Under a similar economic alliance to the UCS's formation, the OCU is a bitter rival to the UCS and Pacific Islands often find themselves caught in the conflict. The OCU Witch project is known as the Interior Union.
People's Republic Military
Rivals with the UCS, although they also hate the OCU. Begrudgingly at peace with the OCU, although internal fighting happens, especially since the two are secretive to one another. The Imperial Guard serves as the PRM's Witch project.
Red Sun Union
Middle Eastern union that actively hates the UCS and dislikes nearly everyone else. There is intense rebellion constantly stirring in portions of it's populace, but it still presents an ironclad army. The Sun Sisterhood is the Witch Program for the RSU.
Russian Army
Russia hasn't pledged to any faction, but actively supports the UCS while acting as a mediator to prevent major damage to Asia and Europe as a whole. Disliked by many, but not actively attacked that frequently. Once the aliens came in, they became a much hotter zone for conflict. The Witch project is known as the Degyatrev Unit, officially.
Independent
Japan has ties to both the UCS and OCU in equal measure and refuses to actively take arms, though aspiring Witches are sent to the split factions in equal numbers. Japan is a demilitarized zone between the OCU and UCS, although it is actively developing Strike Gears.
Aliens
Yes, Aliens. No one knows anything and only satellites can take images of their strange base. They attack humans in general, and communication efforts have failed. Cryptologists work on their written language, but little progress is made, and what is made is kept secret. What's even worse is that the aliens seem to be very adaptable, even if they aren't stronger than the Witches and possibly equal in number...

3.Strike Gear?
Yes. Strike Gear. What happens when you take the leg units of a Strike Witch, and add Armored Core 5+ mecha designs and base how much magical device you can have around how much magic you can wield?

Strike Gears. A three-star witch is capable of having the leg units, a back+arm mounted weapons system, and a helmet/neckguard. All of these enhance ability, but reduce casting ability, so that the very same witch can't use magic aside from the most basic shielding/weapons enhancement.

4.So what are the Witches lives like?
Depends on the nation they belong to, and believe me, they all have their horrors. There's no "this is the best to live in" due to that.

5.Can I make a character?
Name, nationality, personality, appearance, magic type (do note that this is basically "element", no time shenanigans), preferred weapon type (not specific weapons- ACVD Ultimate Weapons exist in Strike Gear form, that's all you need to know as to why), and how many stars.

I may do a suggestion game later, or some short stories, and if I like the idea enough, I might include them somewhere. Also, Witches are exclusively female.

Don't post them here, though. It's fine to give a rough idea, but just throw a Google Drive link at me or PM me something if you don't want other people to get the link or if it's Pastebin or something that carries risk of "this isn't what I wanted to click oh god" so people don't have heart attacks.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7736 on: February 12, 2014, 08:45:03 am »

^^Do want.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7737 on: February 12, 2014, 02:48:25 pm »

So, while I'm not in the position to run it just yet, I was thinking of an idea for an RTD.

First off, a Borderlands/Borderlands 2 RTD, but in a more Turn-Based RPG format. The choices being going through the game(s) as normal, or making an entirely new plot, planet, etc. People could wander around and do whatever the hell they want, until encountering an enemy, upon which anyone in a certain area around the encounter gets a choice of helping out or just going about their business. If you're too close, then you don't have a choice, you just have to fight. A d20 could end up being a bit more useful here, but only for combat. Everything else would fit better with d6.

If one went for the canon plot, then it would be fairly linear, with sidequests, main quests, etc., and completely normal enemies. Maps would be easy to get ahold of, along with enemy portraits. Characters wouldn't be customizable, but players could choose between any of the characters from either game, and take their level-ups and junk as they wish. It would be a fairly straight-forward game to run.

If the other route, completely new, would be taken, it would immediately become fairly complicated. Maps would have to be made, characters might have to be created/drawn, but enemies and quests could be customized, and could make for a bit more fun play for both players and the GM.

Anyone think they'd be interested in these sorta base ideas?
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7738 on: February 12, 2014, 03:26:07 pm »

Sounds fairly interesting, but the new plot idea sounds cooler and more interesting.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7739 on: February 12, 2014, 03:31:39 pm »

I'd be interested in playing the second one.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 661