Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727556 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7695 on: February 06, 2014, 03:07:35 pm »

Okay, let's see about these two other flyers.

Aircraft: Fokker V.6 Triplane
Mobility: 4
Responsiveness: 4d6
Toughness: 8

Weapons: 2x Machinegun (fixed forward), 2x50kg bomblet, sharpened wings
   Machinegun: up to 2 damage in 1 point clusters
   50kg bomblet: 12 damage in 6 point clusters, hard to aim (heavy penalties against moving targets)
   Wing blade: 8 damage in 4 point clusters to enemy. 2 damage to wing.
Ammo: 26x Machinegun burst, 2x 50kg bomblet

No armor
Structure:
   Nose: 4HP, 3 criticals (Propeller, Radiator, Engine)
   Body: 6HP, 6 criticals (Engine, Pilot, Machinegun, Machinegun, Control wires, Control wires)
   Left wing: 6HP, 3 criticals (Control wire, Aileron, Wing blade)
   Right wing: 6HP, 3 criticals (Control wire, Aileron, Wing blade)
   Tail: 6HP, 4 criticals (Elevator, Stabilizer, Control wire)

Value: 6

Aircraft: Motorized paraglider
Mobility: 2
Responsiveness: 3d4
Toughness: 6

Weapons: 1x Double Elephant Gun
   Elephant Gun: 2 damage
Ammo: 30x .50cal cartridge

No armor
Structure:
   Parawing: 8 HP, 2 criticals (Line, Line)
   Motoglider: 9 HP, 5 criticals (Engine, Propeller, Pilot, Control Surface, Control Surface)

Value: 2

Aircraft: War Balloon
Mobility: 1
Responsiveness: 1d6
Toughness: 8

Weapons: 4x Minigun (separate 90-degree arcs), 1x Stinger launcher
   Minigun: up to 4 damage in 1 point clusters
   Stinger: guided (IR), 8 damage in 4 point clusters
Ammo: 20x Minigun burst, 8x Stinger Missile

No armor
Structure:
   Balloon: 6HP, 2 criticals (Valve, Fin)
   Gondola: 8HP, 6 criticals (Minigun, Minigun, Minigun, Minigun, Pilot, Rigging)

Value: 4

I've assigned the War Balloon a value of 4, tentatively, due to its heavy armaments.

Okay, so let's try to start. Keep your craft sheets handy.

You all rise into the air in your machines of choice, and take in the scenery. The vast morning sky lies open before you, dotted with the occasional cloud bank, a sprawling landscape beneath. And all across the sky you see tiny black and silvery dots, moving around in wide circles or darting here and there in straight lines, leaving contrails in their wake. The deep, turbulent hum of propellers and the distant whine and rumble of jet engines fills the air, alongside the staccato outbursts of machineguns and the occasional explosion. Here and there you see thick trails of greasy black smoke appearing somewhere in the sky, sometimes winding and looping, but inevitably coming to a sudden stop on the ground amidst a short-lived blossom of a black-petaled fiery flower.

It seems the furball is just starting.

Theo Dacabe (darkpaladin109): War Balloon
Altitude: 3
Not moving

You stand in the gondola of your war balloon, ready to utterly destroy anyone foolish enough to come into range. Nobody comes for you just yet, despite you being a pretty obvious target.

There are some biplanes duking it out to the north. Many WW1-era planes are fighting closer to the ground. You hear the rumble of many engines from above. There are clouds far to the southeast.

Captain Henri Dechoirs (Digital Hellhound): Fokker V.6 Triplane
Altitude: 5
Cruising at 3, heading North

You cruise at a leisurely pace, straddling the edge of a large cumulus cloud. You can see a tight dogfight between a number of high-speed aeroplanes to the east. Several large planes are flying in formation to the west above you. Many planes seem to be fighting down below, but you can't see them very well.

The bright colors of your triplane seem to have attracted attention. A pair of aircraft are heading your way from the furball to the east. It's hard to tell, but they may be faster than you. What do you do?

Jeffrey Gamble (Harry Baldman): Paraglider
Altitude: 1
Cruising at 1, heading North

You are flying slow and safe close to the ground, observing the battles in the sky.

Very few planes dip down to fight near the ground. There are several large furballs with many different planes up above: to the east, north, and southeast. There is some strong wind here. There is a large cluster of dark clouds to the far south. What do you do?

Basically give me a direction, whether you try to go faster or slower, and whether you change altitude. And of course tell me about whatever else you might be wanting to do. Remember, you get no dodge rolls here, in the classic sense.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7696 on: February 06, 2014, 03:21:40 pm »

Slowly, but surely continue north, shooting anyone that gets in my way with my machine gun. Meanwhile, find my top hat and put it on.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7697 on: February 06, 2014, 03:32:47 pm »

You guys realize you're still in the brainstorming thread, right?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7698 on: February 06, 2014, 03:40:53 pm »

You guys realize you're still in the brainstorming thread, right?

Yeah, doing RTD tests here makes me a bit uncomfortable. I'd prefer if this had its own thread.

Also, when I said 'elephant gun', I meant that Jeffrey just takes an elephant gun with him on flights. The glider isn't supposed to actually be armed.

Finally, keep flying safely. Try to gain a little altitude.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7699 on: February 06, 2014, 03:43:08 pm »

I have to agree this isn't the best place. Here's the best place.

For action, though: Lament my position in a *shudder* German aeroplane. Then head up, trying to gain altitude while keeping the incoming planes at a distance (go west, I suppose).
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7700 on: February 06, 2014, 03:56:55 pm »

If you think it'd be better handled there, I guess it's doable.

I'll just re-quote the first post there then, and keep on with the actions.

Also, I'm aware it's the pilot carrying the elephant gun, but for the purpose of combat, the aircraft is the thing that's armed.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 04:03:29 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7701 on: February 06, 2014, 04:44:51 pm »

Doublepost go!

I moved the game to the testing thread.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7702 on: February 06, 2014, 07:11:30 pm »

I kind of want to see a Build Gundam-esque RtD now...

Building a unit is probably something that will require some serious hashing out, but for now...

1. Choose a Base
The base is the "skeleton", which is used to determine height/size, ability to hold weapons/equipment/armor, weight/size tolerances, and leg type.

2. Choose a Frame Type
From here, you've got to actually construct a frame around this "skeleton". Here's where heavily engineer-y choices are made, which permanently edit the base once complete. For instance, a reverse-joint leg base might have the feet made much larger and the leg itself taller, providing more height but less weight tolerance, better size tolerance and better jumping ability.

3. Choose Weapons, Equipment, and Armor
Different armor materials do different things. Armor has a Retention, Durability, and Weight score.
For instance, Carbon Fiber is a great material to use when you're strapped for weight, but it won't last long and it's average heat retention may be a problem if most of your weight is in heat-generating weapons.

Weapons are used to attack and generally generate Heat. Heat is lost every round dependant on Armor, without armor, heat loss is 100u per turn.

For instance, if I have a twin-barrel gatling gun, which firing in a turn gives 30u heat, without armor and no other heat sources, I can fire every turn forever. Lets say I add two equipments that constantly give off a total of 30u heat, another gatling, and Armor with a retention value of 40. Maximum heat/turn is now 90u, and normal baseline heat reduction without any heatsinks is 100u. Armor's Retention is 40, meaning my effective heat loss is now 70u, and I gain 20u of heat per turn, maximum (from my own actions, anyway.)

Retention also means that that 20 heat is all my armor can retain before bad things happen. (half of retention is heat tolerance, as a base.)
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7703 on: February 07, 2014, 04:10:18 pm »

I would like to play a heavily detailed realistic Napoleonic-era naval game. Probably one with a spreadsheet behind it and filled with impenetrable nineteenth century jargon. I have regular urges to transform all my games into such a game. The players in my pigeon dating game should take this as a warning. Splice the mainbrace and stuff.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: February 08, 2014, 06:06:58 am »

That could be interesting. Sadly, I know little about those wooden ships and Iron men.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: February 08, 2014, 06:22:26 am »

I would like to play a heavily detailed realistic Napoleonic-era naval game. Probably one with a spreadsheet behind it and filled with impenetrable nineteenth century jargon. I have regular urges to transform all my games into such a game. The players in my pigeon dating game should take this as a warning. Splice the mainbrace and stuff.

As mentioned above, I do believe the greatest hurdle in making such a game would be finding somebody who knows enough about ships, let alone historical ones, to do such a thing. The only bits I know about sailing as such are what little parts I remember from literature of the period.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7706 on: February 08, 2014, 07:14:29 am »

Yes, if it was realistic enough the players wouldn't know what they were doing and would sink within a dozen turns. Gosh yes.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7707 on: February 08, 2014, 07:25:07 am »

Yes, if it was realistic enough the players wouldn't know what they were doing and would sink within a dozen turns. Gosh yes.
"Turn to starboard west!

Cracken the heast board!
Play the chicken wigs!"
Yhea, I think I would know what to do there,
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: February 08, 2014, 12:44:10 pm »

The best kind of captain is the one who doesn't know what the hell they're talking about, but does it with such charisma the crew rush into action anyway. Lard the starboard girdles! Loose the loftsails! Calibrate the quantum targeting matrix!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: February 08, 2014, 02:35:13 pm »

Roll to Technobabble.

You get a +1 for every English word the GM has to look up.
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 661