Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727966 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7486 on: December 17, 2013, 02:58:30 pm »

Less rtdcrafting, more SS13 2000!
Nah.
'cuz on my way home, I had some kind of idea for an rtd that might be interesting.
I came to the conclusion that Mystery Science Theater 3k may make for a fun little rtd.
Still kinda thinking it over, but obviously, it'd be split into two different forms of play, movies and just screwing around on the SoL and the main goal would be getting off the ship. Whether that be by getting all buddy-buddy with the scientists doing the experiment, or just finding other ways off.
A thought I had was that theater in the ship would start with all the functions it's supposed to have, which'll end up going as players try and build various robot friends and all that fun stuff from the theme song.

Anyone think it's a decent idea? Or generally have any thoughts on it?
Mind you, I've got more ideas for it that I still need to properly think up, but I figured I may as well see if folks like the idea. Or something. I dunno.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7487 on: December 17, 2013, 03:15:48 pm »

Anyone think it's a decent idea? Or generally have any thoughts on it?
Mind you, I've got more ideas for it that I still need to properly think up, but I figured I may as well see if folks like the idea. Or something. I dunno.

This gives me an idea. An Ed Wood RTD, where the players take on the roles of Z-movie filmmakers, seeking fortune, fame and critical acclaim in the cruel world that is Hollywood. With adventures involving securing funding, working out a script and then actually filming the thing, not to mention making sure that it reaches the masses, it could be quite the experience for the wannabe auteur and his or her loyal clique of employees.

It would presumably run on a similar principle as monk12's Winter on the Mountain, with players able to choose their roles beforehand, then getting chosen for a grand stab at stardom.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7488 on: December 17, 2013, 05:39:55 pm »

Every character will be randomly assigned an End Goal, a Job, and a Body.

Jobs are under Service, Engineering, and Management, there are three subsections with three jobs each.

Possible bodies are:

Human: Humans have no side goals, however, must spend a turn per cycle eating, and another for sleep. There are 6 turns in a cycle.
Drone: Lifelike robots, Drones must remain undetected as non-humans but do not require food or sleep.
Symbiote: Human with an alien partner. You gain telepathy, one-way unless with another symbiote, and also anonymous unless with another symbiote. You cannot use your telepathy unless you've slept and eaten twice last cycle, meaning three out of six actions are accounted for.
Accursed: Once every four cycles (maybe 6-7), you change from a Human to a Beast. As a human, your goal is to stay alive, as a Beast, you must kill another member of the Icarus to change back.
Humans make up most of the crew.

There will be nine players plus a Captain. More on that in a second.

These are the End goals:
Survive: You don't care about the station, you just want to live long enough to get the paycheck (until game end.)
Protect: You must protect the station from destruction, and otherwise survive.
Destroy: You must cause the station irreparable harm.
Escape: You must leave the station before the end of the game and survive.
Sabotage: You must set up a sabotage device in most of the rooms in the station.
Steal: You must steal an item crucial for a job on-station, rendering that job impossible to complete.

Which ones trigger are always set up ahead of time like a mafia game- Sabotage and destroy are very rarely in the same game- for instance:

Survive/Survive/Survive/Protect/Protect/Destroy/Destroy/Escape/Steal is probably going to be the most common.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7489 on: December 17, 2013, 05:54:30 pm »

I suggest accursed should convert humans instead of killing them. Or have a convert race in addition.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7490 on: December 17, 2013, 05:56:57 pm »

Conversion races are overplayed and lame. Otherwise, this looks promising.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7491 on: December 17, 2013, 06:10:43 pm »

Huh, I entirely planned for a conversion type and completely forgot.

Cultist: A Human who has willingly infected him/herself with a space parasite preventing sleep. They no longer spend a turn sleeping, and must attempt to convert half or more of the crew. The original cultist's goal transfers to new cultists.

Probably not a main race...but maybe.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7492 on: December 18, 2013, 01:14:14 am »

Huh, I entirely planned for a conversion type and completely forgot.

Cultist: A Human who has willingly infected him/herself with a space parasite preventing sleep. They no longer spend a turn sleeping, and must attempt to convert half or more of the crew. The original cultist's goal transfers to new cultists.

Probably not a main race...but maybe.
Maybe for a gimmick round.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7493 on: December 18, 2013, 01:27:46 pm »

Idea for a game similar to Winter on the Mountain, but more desperate. You play as a collection of people who by circumstance are stuck together into a vague family unit. Instead of taking on roles, however, you post your character sheet and I roll for familial relationships with one other player, then you make minor adjustments to your character (Making them slightly older if they have a son, or changing their sexual orientation if they have a homosexual relationship). The family unit tries to deal with life from then on. Making things more complicated, I'm going to recruit "Antagonists", basically co-GMs who represent various forces and groups that either directly or tangentially make life worse for the family. However, there is an emphasis for antagonists to incite drama, not try to "win" against the family. They're not players, just co-GMs.

Does it sound like it has potential?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7494 on: December 18, 2013, 03:36:56 pm »

Idea for a game similar to Winter on the Mountain, but more desperate. You play as a collection of people who by circumstance are stuck together into a vague family unit. Instead of taking on roles, however, you post your character sheet and I roll for familial relationships with one other player, then you make minor adjustments to your character (Making them slightly older if they have a son, or changing their sexual orientation if they have a homosexual relationship). The family unit tries to deal with life from then on. Making things more complicated, I'm going to recruit "Antagonists", basically co-GMs who represent various forces and groups that either directly or tangentially make life worse for the family. However, there is an emphasis for antagonists to incite drama, not try to "win" against the family. They're not players, just co-GMs.

Does it sound like it has potential?

Sounds fun. And with the potential for some messed-up families. I'd like to see it happen, though I'm not sure how challenges would work out. I mean, will they have normal lives? What are their objectives? Is there any sort of end goal they have?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7495 on: December 18, 2013, 04:21:21 pm »

Not really normal lives, no. I had a specific idea for what's going on, but I'm just going to write the basics without any genres or anything.

The family is poor, and the world in general is harsh. Food is always a problem, and jobs are either regular or well-paid, almost never both. As for objectives, at the start it's just "Keep your family members alive", but as time goes on (Using the antagonists) the situation would grow more and more dramatic. I wouldn't like to pin a specific story on it, though: this should be influenced by how the players act and react. So, the story should be based off of how the players act and what they do.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7496 on: December 18, 2013, 04:38:03 pm »

I wonder if it would be possible to run a sort of "quadrangle" game. Four different games running simultaneously, ((or, as a time puzzle- the past group has to do something affecting the other groups)) each affecting the others.

Each group has some kind of interaction with other groups- let's say one group starts in a village, one in a castle, one with no shelter at all, and one in an outpost. Among every group of players are Foils and Boosts to each group- a Village Foil, if in the Village, acts negatively upon it, and does not negatively affect other areas. Every player has some goal.

---

Another idea is "Roll to become a Rock God", another group game idea. Four groups of players form a band. Players may do different actions before a show to gain bonuses to their rolls, but each action also has some kind of repercussion. Balancing your life and the band becomes increasingly difficult as you play bigger and better gigs. Eventually, surviving groups go to a massive Battle of the Bands, where there are different endings including "Rock Gods" where one team wins, to "Pantheon of Rock" where 4 groups tie and decide to split the prize, as well as "playing together in a massive rockgasm" as the papers will report the next day.

Equipment plays a part too. Your equipment determines your die and maximum rolls- things like Roll d6 max 4 are possible, where 5s and 6s will result in 4s. Gigs will require ever-increasing numbers to be considered a success.

You've also got to entitle new songs. To write a song, the band must spend 3 turns together practicing (not consecutively, but total) and a new song will come about. You start the game with 5 songs, and each time you play them, they have a chance to lose effectiveness and cause you to get lower end scores (and cash).

You can also choose to do a cover of a song, which is as simple as obtaining the music. Songs can be purchased for varying amounts of cash OR purchased from another player group.

To see how well you did on a song, each roll for playing is added up and compared to the gig's difficulty level x the number of turns long the song was. The remainder is multiplied by your song's Effectiveness (as high as 4, as low as .5) and added to all the other results from other songs. This total number (how many points above the gig's difficulty the band played at multiplied by the song's modifier) is then multiplied by the gig's Payout, and the number goes towards a Popularity score. Reach the highest Popularity and make it to the Battle of the Bands!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7497 on: December 20, 2013, 01:24:34 pm »

I've probably posted the racing team idea 7 times now. It just won't die. Every time I fail to come up with a good system for it, I see something else that makes me take inspiration, and a few days later I think "Damn, this system dosen't work right", ad infinitum.

INCARNATION 8

So I've scrapped hovercars in all forms now. This lets me dick about with terrain a lot more, you'll need to choose wheels, chassis, engines, and... some other car part carefully!

Going to go with five companies, players have to choose one and that dictates what chassis they can get, other parts are free even though they are developed by other teams (so long as you remain pure with the chassis.) I may allow a sixth player and drop sign-up able teams to 3.

Players will be able to pick up/equip weapons, each weapon has a different effect and targets different parts.

Pickups fall into these categories:
Reload: Reloads your chosen Weapon, does nothing if you don't have one
Weapon: Grants a subweapon for use, subweapons are generally weaker than ones you'd equip to a car but are more varied, and may be what you need to take down a pesky foe.
Shield: Stops you from taking any damage, although any other effects of being hit still apply. Lasts only 2 turns.
Repair: Repairs for 4 points of damage, always starting with the Chassis before going to the next most heavily damaged equip.
Upgrade: A player may pick up Upgrades as well as any other item to make it better- they may pick up to 3 Upgrades, and getting a 4th leads to something special.

Reload's upgrades result in more ammunition than you'd normally be able to hold (up to x3 the amount).
Weapon's upgrades quickly bring them up to or beyond that of equipped weapons, adding effects or increasing damage. Some of these weapons don't do much damage still but have devastating effects.
Shield first prevents secondary effects of taking hits, then increases turns useable.
Repair increases by 2 points for every upgrade.

Getting four Upgrades gives you two turns of Mario-star like invincibility, redirecting attacks and gaining autosuccess on the track. In addition, you'll get repaired (upgraded twice) and a subweapon (also upgraded twice).

Weapons aren't always offensive. Equippable ones might be something such as a use of Autopilot, a single autosuccess, or a Turbo, instantly letting you hit max speed and then some at the cost of control, temporarily.

Equippable weapons range in use, the ones I have worked out so far are:
Cannon: The Cannon is a relatively weak weapon, but one that has many uses by default. Holding 30 rounds, a single turn uses up 10, and hitting a target gives you +1 to hitting them again next turn. The cannon does 1 damage, and has a slight disruption effect (1).
Missile: Fires a single guided explosive ahead. Does 2 damage, but is guaranteed a hit.
Rockets: Fires 3 rockets, each with a relatively low chance to hit anything, but doing 3 damage.
Volt Cannon: Fires a heavily disrupting version of the Missile that does no damage.
ECM Pod: Guided weapon preventing target from picking up any power ups for 2 turns
Wyrm Pod: Unguided weapon that has a random effect as well as some disruption (2). The effect could be Autopilot, however, so there is a chance of accidentally helping an enemy.
Trojan Spear: Unguided weapon inflicting disruption on all enemies ahead of you, on the next turn from the one it is used. Can only affect 4 opponents at most. Disrupts for 2 turns.
Leech Link: Guided weapon that saps health from a foe for 4 turns, breaks if you are not adjacent in placement to your target.
Getting hit with a weapon also breaks the link, however, the hit's damage is negated.
Stealth Drive: Opponents cannot lock on to you for 2 turns, unguided weapons can still hit.
Plasma Bolt: Unguided weapon that fires ahead next turn, low chance to hit but does 5 damage.
Reflector: Repels any projectiles back towards their users.
Singulo Sting: Lays a small trap behind you, that if hit, causes nearby opponents to the triggerer to be stopped completely. You can under no circumstance hold more than one of these.
Swarm: Releases drones that swarm around a target and deals steady damage for 6 turns. A shield or Reflector repels them.
Nitro Rocket: Low chance to hit, does 1 damage. After hitting, all incoming damage to the target is tripled for the next turn.
Penetrator: Slams into the opponent ahead of you, switching places with them and dealing 4 damage.
Q-Shield: Protects from damage for a single turn, only from one hit.

Subweapons include the Cannon, Missile, and Rockets, having any of those weapons and picking up the related subweapon results in a upgrade-like boost, though not on the same track. Upgraded Rockets, as a subweapon, have a higher hit-chance, however, when you have weapon/subweapon together, you fire twice as many. The missile is able to pass through targets, rather than a damage/disruption boost. The cannon now only uses five shots and has the same effect, rather than a disruption upgrade.

There may be other matchable subweapons.
---

Choosing a chassis is simple, most companies produce 3-5 different chassis per rank (E to A+). Each has different strengths and weaknesses, in the form of Top Speed, Health, and Equipment Slots. Lets look at two of the available companies Chassis:

PIR-HANA F1 Razor
Top Speed is very high at 8, where Health is a pitiful 3. This craft can equip Tires, and Engine, and any weapon type.

QIREX Defender
Top Speed is not quite lacking at 5, Health is at 6. This craft can equip Tires, Heavy Engines, and offensive weapons only.

---
Both of these are E rank, where top level is about 8, true cap is 10 (where all other facets of design are minimalistic). Other parts not only change things about stats but also effectiveness on terrain, turning ability, acceleration...

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7498 on: December 20, 2013, 05:54:02 pm »

Idea: Players play as plastic army men, fighting against other plastic army men. Nothing too complicated, would probably heavily resemble Medieval Fodder, but with a focus on ranged combat rather than melee. The only gimmick I could think of would be that each side would have some sort of points that they could use to alter the game, ie. they could use it to summon reinforcements, buildings, weapons or supplies, make soldiers stronger, tougher or faster and so on. They would likely earn these points in some way. Giving soldiers better buffs or stronger reinforcements would cost more points. There could also be a "pool" of reinforcements which players could choose from when they respawn, ie. having two tanks would allow two players to spawn in tanks. It could use real soldiers, if you wanted it to.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7499 on: December 20, 2013, 06:21:34 pm »

The ultimate objective is to summon the Hyper Kid to kick all your foes, or the Tidy Mum to reunite all the soldiers again.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 661