Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728381 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7395 on: November 29, 2013, 12:35:54 am »

I'd say I usually go for PvE/Free Fighting, Mission-based, Simple-to-Complex, always Novelesque, d6-nd6 RTDs as a GM. Interesting classification system fo' sure.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7396 on: November 29, 2013, 09:08:43 am »

Then there's games like LD, which started out as a Complex PvP Continuous Linear, then switched into a Complex Free fighting Open World game.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7397 on: November 29, 2013, 01:38:35 pm »

Anyway, minor interest check. A Mafia based RTD, set in the cold war, on a Russian Nuclear submarine. The submarine's crew is made up of 3 groups. Traitors, Loyalists, and KGB agents. Meanwhile, each person also has an official function, and has to exercise their job to keep the submarine running.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7398 on: November 29, 2013, 01:44:46 pm »

Sounds good 10e10

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: November 29, 2013, 01:45:36 pm »

I'd be into that.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7400 on: November 29, 2013, 01:46:25 pm »

I'd play it.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: November 29, 2013, 04:21:01 pm »

Sounds very fun. Almost like Mafia, but... I wonder if you gave Mafia roles blind rolls that affect their results, what would happen?

You wouldn't want equal chances, but let's say it's heavily weighted for "enough info'. Like, 1s are the most rare, 2s and 6s are rather rare, 3s and 5s are rare, and 4s are the most common. 1s give you certain data that's the opposite of the truth, 2s give you false but unclear information, 3s are simply failures to get anything, 4s are enough info to make some sort of assumption, 5s are clearly telling you one way or another about someone, and 6s not only give you exact info but others will not see that you were there (unless your role is already invisible).

Also considering a game based on Ops and Tactics game engine after releasing the Wanderpanzer beta launches (that Front Mission game I'm working on, I plan to release it, let people toy around with it, maybe run a game or two myself with some friends, then patch for balance).

Character creation is changed heavily, as available stats are reduced but are allowed to be handed out more freely. Everyone gets a certain amount of wealth points, and jobs/previous jobs are basically removed.

The game is sort of Arena meets Deadliest Warrior, where players are pitted against others or against a GM team ("AI" team).
Scenarios will also change between games.

Likely, you'll get 100 Wealth to start a match. Scenarios range from city to desert, most of which will likely be illegal in nature.

One possible fight is a 4v4 game where one team spawns around a van, who's job is to offload mysterious suitcases and await the pickup team. The other team will attempt to steal these suitcases.

Another scenario is one where two groups of four enemies decide to try and hold up the same store at the same time... leading to a shootout in the streets. Steal as much cash in the chaos as possible and get out alive.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: November 29, 2013, 10:30:13 pm »

So, don't remember where or when, but I once mentioned a "13 Layers of Hell" arena game.
So, roughly 8 players. Each draws 4 cards out of a deck, and one gets put back if it's of a same suit or number they already have and a new one drawn; This way, each player has 1 card of each suit, of 4 different numbers.
Players all coexist on the same map, the same arena. It's a slight bit maze-y, but not terribly so. However, the reason I mention this, is they don't exist on the same LAYER of reality. Everything they see or touch is the same, but various objects and players aren't all in the same layers. Players in the same layer as each other can see and kill each other, but can't see or kill players in other layers. They'll just go through each other. If you share even one number with another player, you can see them. If none of your cards have the same number as another player, you can't see them.
When a player dies, his body is completely consumed by the fire and brimstone in this place, and he's sent off to another reality. Probably not the same one he originally came from. There are thousands of worlds, but only one Hell. Sure, Hell is huge, it has to be in order to fit the countless souls from unknown numbers of universes, but there's only one Hell. And you unlucky (or is it lucky?) patrons have been selected to compete in an arena for the entertainment of bloodthirsty demons and souls that don't really belong there, but there's no Heaven for them to go to, and they get treated as best as the demons can, so they try to enjoy the suffering of others too. Such as you. And hey, if you die in Hell, you get reincarnated somewhere. Usually. Almost always. There have been about... 3 cases where someone failed to show up anywhere.
The cards of a deceased player are returned to the 20 card stack left over, some other soul shoved from it's seats into the ring, and new cards drawn for them.

Most of the actions are layed out in post, but many by PM. In fact, there's enough hidden stuff going on, especially since it's PvP, that I'll be arranging for non-PM "PM" solutions. And in return, the updates will contain very little information too, basically changes to the arena as the crazy equipment characters bring with them into the afterlife cause major damage to the environment. Some explosions, the audience's reactions, "death" announcements, and stuff like that. Not player positions or anything like that, all that is delivered to the players by personalized PMs. Who you see, what you can see them doing, and the results of your actions will pretty much be decided by PM.

No stats, the gimmicks would be rules heavy enough. Speaking of gimmicks, I would use two random words each for 2 pieces of equipment. I'll give the player the option of picking general categories of equipment, roll up a word, pick a number of perks that fit the word, let the player pick 2, roll up the second word, and modify the perks based on the word. Give a couple variations, let the player pick 2 from that list, and boom. 2 pieces of equipment randomized AND personalized, for each character.
What words would I pick? How would I pick? Well, I've already got a way of picking from a list of 52 things. And then, if I let the player pick a primary and secondary suit for each piece of equipment before rolling words (must include all 4), I have either 208 words to pick from or 676, depending on whether it's the suit that matters or the number connected to that suit that the player drew for his/her layers. I would prefer 208.
If they player chooses equipment that is too specific for their first choices, I'll broaden it out before drawing words.

Edit: Oh, yes, equipment stays behind after death. So while bodies are not left behind, you can still figuratively loot them. So if you survive long enough, you'll have, like, 12 rocket launchers or something. And be outfitted with more armor than Juggernaught.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:35:00 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: December 01, 2013, 08:47:28 pm »

I'm tempted to do a not-really-Halo game where you play as either a human or human in Power Armor, wielding various weapons of Human, Alien, Technical, and Infected weaponry. I sort of want to mix in X-COM as well.

If you choose a role for basic humans, you'll spend most of your time developing technology, analyzing things people bring you, and mostly choosing what technology you pursue and therefore what's available weapon, armor, and etc.-wise. You won't be fighting much, and even if you do, you're only going to be able to use Human weapons.

If you choose a more combat-oriented role, you'll either be in Power Armor or a MEC suit. Power Armor consists of a Helmet, Arms, Legs, and Torso, a MEC suit has two (maybe three) modules. Power Armor units may use any weapon, MEC suit users must use large weapons or weapons integrated/designed for them.

As a combatant, you'll be fighting various enemies and stealing as much of their shit as possible so your noncombatant friends can analyze it and strip it down to a base technology, then hand you a humanized version of it and further the tech to new weapons. For instance:

Players go on a mission, and steal some basic Alien rifles. A human analyzes each one seperately, rolling a 1, a 4, and a 5.
The 1 breaks the weapon and returns nothing.
The 4 analyzes the weapon in 6 days of time.
The 5 analyzes the weapon in 4 days of time- best case scenario.

Once a weapon is analyzed, it unlocks new equipment options. Analyzing it again reduces the cost slightly, analyzing it a third time maximizes return by allowing you to take another part of it's tree, or if that can't happen, further reduces cost.

The alien rifle unlocks the chance to develop basic laser weapons, anti-laser armor, or energy grenades.

Weapons also come in basic tiers. Each type of weapon has 6 total tiers, as well as 3 unique technologies.

---

You may be wondering why you'd bother making human weapons out of alien guns at your expense. Using a Human weapon as a Human grants a +1 to aiming.

Combat is fairly simple. There are three stats: Accuracy, Health, and Speed.

These stats can be ranked anywhere from 1-5, starting characters place a 1, a 2, and a 3 in each area. The stat reflects how many d6s are rolled for actions (for Health, it's 2x(Stat) + (Stat)d6, which is set unless increased when levelling up. the number is not rerolled, only added to).

The stat you placed a 3 in becomes your Ace Stat, and one d8 substitutes a d6 whenever rolling for that stat.

PCs may undergo further modification, as well. Technologies may develop to unlock latent powers in the human mind, players may be genetically modified, and players may undergo surgery to enhance their link with power armor/ MEC suits.

Psionics unlock new attacks, as well as allow the person who has it to choose a second Ace Stat. Not all players will have psionic gifts.

Genetic mods offer a selection of abilities that may be granted, however, choosing more than 2 will begin to have negative effects.

Uplink surgery allows for its recipient to become more adapted to their armor, allowing them choice of abilities that can now be added to the armor without adding excessive strain to the user.

---

That's what I've got so far. Armor would give blanket +1/-1s, inspiration from that one Halo helmet that's about 80% visor:

the EVA helmet grants +1 when targeting an enemy at extreme range (the last 25% of a weapon's total range), however, enemies can land crits easier (a critical hit occurs when a roll is exactly twice, thrice, or quadruple that of it's vs: an enemy with evasion of 4 would be critically hit when you roll an 8, a 12, or a 16.)

Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: December 01, 2013, 09:09:06 pm »

I feel this thread is slowly becoming Tsuchigumo Comes Up With Complex And Interesting RTD Ideas.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: December 01, 2013, 10:21:24 pm »

"I feel this thread is slowly becoming Tsuchigumo Comes Up With Complex And Interesting RTD Ideas." and then never acts on them or does so in a week-long attempt to not move on to the next idea because shiny.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: December 01, 2013, 11:14:38 pm »

You should just kinda have a single rtd that has its rules/setting change every week or so as you get new ideas. It'd be ridiculous. And mildly awesome.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: December 01, 2013, 11:16:50 pm »

You should just kinda have a single rtd that has its rules/setting change every week or so as you get new ideas. It'd be ridiculous. And mildly awesome.
I've totally had that idea before. Just... every time I think of/get inspired by something new, SUDDENLY YOU ARE SPACE PROSPECTORS.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: December 02, 2013, 04:11:49 pm »

ADVANCED BATTLESHIP.

You can't really play this one on an actual battleship board, but it's not exactly Battleship anyway.

Each ship has a point value. Each ship size has a few variants, generally, and each variant will have different abilities.

All ships have some form of Attack. This is what you'll be doing on your turn.
All ships are also capable of Movement- a number of points determining how many times a piece can move forward. All pieces start with at least 2, as it takes 2 points to turn. Even number pieces turn from the centermost area to the front- a 2-tile ship turns and it's front remains stationary, a 4-tile ship turns and the part behind it's bow remains in the same place, etc.

Some ships have Special Attacks. These can only be used when the ship reaches a certain condition (possibly something like "this part is undamaged") and can only be used once per battle.

Ships:
Each ship type has parts that can be outfitted to it. Most ships have mandatory slots, as so:

2- tile:
Engine Block - Weapon

3 - Tile

Engine Block - Weapon - Other

Other - Engine Block - Weapon

4- Tile

Engine Block - Other - Weapon - Other
Engine Block - Weapon - Other - Other
Other - Engine Block - Weapon - Other

5 - Tile

Engine Block - Weapon - Other - Other - Other
Other - Engine Block - Weapon - Other - Other
Other - Other - Engine Block - Weapon - Other

---

Each ship can place different things in Weapon and Other to count in point value.
others are specified by ship size- 3 tiles may have a Submarine Hull, allowing them to go under the water for short periods of time, whereas a 5-tile has access to Aircraft Runways.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: December 03, 2013, 03:39:20 am »

Looks neat and easy to run.

I'm curious how well/poorly trying to move out of the way would work, though. With maneuverability limited like that, trying to wriggle free once someone had hit you once might be more an issue of hoping they guess you were oriented the wrong way than anything.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 661