Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727052 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7155 on: October 14, 2013, 07:47:06 pm »

So I'm trying to figure out a way to combine a Roll to Dodge, a Mafia game, and a suggestion game in one. Anyone willing to help? Roll to Suggest a Mafia? Roll to Mafia: A suggestion game? Suggest to Dodge the Mafia? Suggest to Mafia?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7156 on: October 14, 2013, 08:19:30 pm »

Three groups.
The Adventurers. Self-explanatory: just regular RTD dudes.

The Lords. Basically any group of authority figures: gods, government, fate, etc. They can pop in at any time and suggest commands that change the environment and the NPCs behaviour. However, they won't pass without someone giving a +1. Vetos can be given, and the more +1s a command has the more attention it gets.

The Traitors. A small portion of the Adventurers are actually working for the enemy. They get various objectives from the GM that naturally conflict with the Adventurer's goals, and if they fulfill them they get rewarded with "natural" 5s and "luckily" found loot.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7157 on: October 15, 2013, 02:18:24 am »

Have a group of characters.
Have people suggest actions for the characters, one at a time.
Have a couple of the characters actually be villains, and they mess things up when they go off screen.

OH! I know!

Everyone is on a space station that is in need of repairs, and the only actual viewpoint is that of the captain, and he sits in the security chair with camera control, and you have to figure out who the infiltrators are before they take out the captain!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7158 on: October 17, 2013, 06:05:17 pm »

I sort of want to develop a WipEout 2048 esque game based around ship customizations and track section times.

You start as a C rank pilot, given a ship from one of the main companies. You can choose between a Speed, Agility, or Fighter ship.

Depending on the chosen company and type of ship, you'll be better or worse at different aspects of racing.
Morgana Tech: Balanced overall, stats generally stay mid-level, though they fluctuate depending on ship specialty.
AURIsystem: Formed from an aeronautics firm, AURIsystem ships are known for great control, though they lack in armor.
PARADIGM: A weapons firm created a racing team for publicity, leading to PARADIGM. Great firepower, but unpredictable low performance areas.
B&FF: Built for the utmost endurance, although the extra armor slows these ships down.
shARC: The fastest ships around, though they often sacrifice control for their intense speed.
---

Minor companies also play a part in ship building. Nova Aeronautics, Acht Eins, Castle Ballistics, Dyson-Boeing LTD, Foyer Moto, and Abrams Design being mid-level companies with their own ships.

To build a ship, you need a total of 10 parts.
Spoiler: Sample Ship (click to show/hide)

Completing races nets you cash, which lets you buy more parts. There are some rules to ship customization though...
1. Parts have classes as to what level of competition they're allowed in. Unless you're in a Free race, you'll have to make sure that not only is your Chassis on the same level as the race, but sometimes the entire ship, and you may not attach parts of a higher grade to a chassis of a lower grade.

-------

Tracks are built on a "feature by feature" basis- track sections are strung together, and they take a number of seconds to complete. Here's the RtD bit: each section has a difficulty that pilots must overcome. Easy sections of the track are a 1, regular are 2, technical=3, difficult is 4, and brutal is 5.
Rolls are a d6 without "overshoots". The dice can be modified based on the stats of your ship, where every 2 points is a +1 and there's a maximum of 10 points, however, the "plus" counter starts at 4. Meaning:
1,2: -2
3,4: -1
5,6: 0
7,8: +1
9,10: +2
10+: Guaranteed +2

Stats do not always activate. Generally, there is a 5/6 chance of a bonus being applied, unless negative, where there is a 1/6 chance that there is no subtraction.

---

In addition, you may Airbrake. Airbrake differs by ship, but generally allows you to sacrifice any potential gains on turns for a guaranteed +1. Airbraking does not nullify stat bonuses and can stack (so a +3 is possible.)

Track sections can also have different Pads, possible Skill Shortcuts, and events.

Pads range from Boost, Weapon, and Defense pads. Boost Pads cause a guaranteed reduction in time it takes to complete a course section, Weapon Pads grant a random weapon to use against other pilots, and Defense pads give you a defensive item. Each one has a chance-to-hit that goes up based on how much a player gained over the "par"- a challenge of 2 with a Boost Pad of 1/6- beaten by a player with a roll of 6- gives that player a 5/6 chance to hit the boost pad.

Working on the tracks and ship part stats.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7159 on: October 17, 2013, 07:37:24 pm »

I've built the first track, Thunder Park.
It starts off with a very, very easy slalom that leads into a sideways 360 loop, ending in a jump.
From there, you've got a small natural section with a bridge you might be able to race across if you've got the control.
Coming out of that bend, there's a straight-up straight-down hill going higher than any other point on the track. Coming down, you'll fly around a vertical loop set at an angle before entering tight, cramped tunnels. Exiting, you get a long, straight section, then a hairpin, followed by another straight section where the entire tunnel can be raced on (the ceiling included).
After that, it's a very simple wide slalom finished with a very easy banked curve.

There are no weapon pads, this is a pure-race map. The highest level of difficulty is found on the Hairpin (Control 4), though the Stairway to Heaven requires two checks that total to 5 (Accel 3 + Control 2).

Control is checked the most (6/13 times), Armor is checked the least (only once).

The par time on this map is 280s. Par time is calculated with a ship making no errors, but not excelling in any check placed against it (not gaining any time) and not using boost pads.

This track is cleared for rank C and B official events.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7160 on: October 18, 2013, 07:12:30 am »

Seems interesting

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: October 18, 2013, 07:11:51 pm »

Sounds rather similar (Not the same, similar) to a chao raising game I'd partially designed (Not an RtD, but somewhat similar). At least to the races portion.
I still have yet to gather all the data I need on the tracks in the SA2:B and SA:DX games to complete making that one.
However, yours feels more... fleshed out.
BTW, I'd pick an Agility shARC ship. Especially if Thunder Park is the first race.

Apparently I'm not getting players for Craft to Gem as fast as I thought I would. Probably has to do with the fact that I'm not experienced at running these. Or maybe that it's mechanisms sound clunky.
I have a dummy character for an NPC should I not have enough players by Sunday, or I could extend the deadline; still working on fields and NPCs right now.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7162 on: October 19, 2013, 01:21:48 pm »

I have way too many parts to balance chassis base stats on a 1-10 scale without giving them 1-4s.

So, I'm going to try and rework the system, keeping the company aspect, and allow you to change out or modify the Engine, Control, and Battle systems. Each chassis will have their own base stats, I'm thinking of building 12 main companies, and going a gigantic tournament race.

Each company will have a unique ship. shARC was the one I thought of first, the Hammerhead. It's a forward-swept wing design on an agility, where the focus was speed and firepower. It has some control, though it's hardly an "agility" ship, and it's not designed for durability, but it's a mean fighter that will take you out as soon as it will pass you.

---

The players (probably 5) aren't going to have a "unique" ship, although knocking a team out of the tournament allows you access to prototype parts.

Maps will test Control, Speed, and Armor- control for tight turns, speed for straight lines, and Armor for long jumps or rough landings. Health is how many hits your craft can take, from hitting walls or enemy fire, and is never directly tested.

The game starts at 2049, the AGV 1000 tournament (the third international tournament.) The company that the PCs join (directly influenced by them) will occasionally have things happen through the race- investors allow you to test parts, ask for endorsements or things like that, and even inter-company relations. For instance, a rival team asks for help with some new engine parts. They'll pay you for your help and you'll get a glimpse at what they're doing, but not the new part. You can decline, which may or may not anger the other company, or agree, which puts you on better terms. A company you're friendly with is more likely to sell you parts or help you, enemy companies won't sell you parts and will be more aggressive, willing to destroy your ship through constant attack.

The companies, their colors, and general team info will be posted below.

Spoiler: Company Teams (click to show/hide)

The Player Characters will get their choice between 9-10 ships, three each of speed, agility, and fighter variants, possibly one equilibrium ship (equal on all fronts).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:24:09 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: October 22, 2013, 08:28:11 pm »

I will likely return to the other idea, as I have a boatload of tracks. The only thing it needs is a clear, concise stats setup that allows for ship variation.

Straight-up armor tests are rarer than others because of intership combat.
---

My brain hatched a devious love-child of Lost in Blue, Perplexicon, and Dwarf Fortress.

The idea is, you're one of six students from the same crazy-otherworldly high school where they teach magic instead of science.
Every year, six students from your academy are chosen, by decree of the Student Body President, are sent to an island where mana runs rampant and no civilizations have taken hold to be studied and recorded for various purposes. You're one of the unlucky six.

You need to survive, first and foremost. You start in a rather expansive area, of five distinct zones you can travel between. Each one will have different things to find, but every player must have:
1. Food, 1u per turn. This isn't to say you must eat once a turn, rather, you will begin starving at 0u, and become seriously weak at -5u. Once at -5u, you're stuck there for good.
2. Water, 1u per turn. Much less of a problem when people figure out the word for water I'm sure, but still, you need it. At 0u thirst becomes dehydration and at -5u you run into the same problems as hunger.
3. Shelter. Each player requires sleep, measured on the same type of scale as hunger and thirst. At 0u, you may randomly pass out, at -5u, it is guaranteed. Each turn of sleep is worth 3u.

---

Secondly, you can use magic differently with a single word. If you knew the base element word Fire, you could intentionally try for a minimal result (say, you wanted fire akin to striking a match) and it would succeed much more easily. You cannot go above the regular power in the same way, so a gigantic fireball cannot be made with just one word.

The wildlife is highly magical and may dislike you. Killing "predator" animals IS worth a point.

Food can be interacted with. Have some meat? You could cook it, and get more food units.

---

The first five zones are somewhat tame. Completing certain objectives, or doing certain things, unlock more areas. Some are very DF-themed areas. Wizard fights in hell are a possibility.

Players are free to work together, alone, or in opposing groups. Murdering a player might be worth more than the wildlife, and you get a chance to steal their inventory...

Movements and thoughts are important to the casting process. If you said the words for "steel sword", but thought about a nonlethal weapon, the sword may be better at leaving papercuts than deep gashes. Saying "steel deer sword" and thinking about the antlers of a deer might result in a blade in the shape of an antler, with spikes off the reverse edge, the same could be said if you said "steel mammal sword" and thought about a deer. Saying "Fire" might result in a burst of fire in front of you, a palm motion might get it moving a short distance.

---

tl;dr- Perplexicon on an island filled with angry animals, survival requirements, and optional teamwork

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: October 22, 2013, 09:34:43 pm »

You had me at perplexicon.

It certainly is an interesting concept, although the wildlife would need to be suitably dangerous.
It kinda reminds me of stranded 2 but with crazy magic.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7165 on: October 23, 2013, 05:59:49 am »

Fire-breathing steel plated stag.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: October 23, 2013, 07:05:15 am »

That seems... adequate...
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7167 on: October 23, 2013, 09:44:28 am »

I never got into the perplexicon shenanigans, but it always seemed like a neat idea. You had me at Lost In Blue, I love that game. This sounds like a cool idea.

1. Food, 1u per turn. This isn't to say you must eat once a turn, rather, you will begin starving at 0u, and become seriously weak at -5u. Once at -5u, you're stuck there for good.

Once you get very hungry you can never get full again?

Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:18 am »

Once you get very hungry you can never get full again?
That's a fundamental law of the universe, just ask a zombie.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: October 23, 2013, 08:57:40 pm »

That's unexplained, but for a reason. You're a magic user, and getting so hungry that your body starts looking elsewhere for nourishment when you've got the ability to tap into mana is no good.
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 661