Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 726936 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7080 on: October 06, 2013, 06:17:46 pm »

You have too many good ideas. Have you considered putting them all in a pot and making Space Pirate Strike Witch Mechs RTD?

Ha. Hahaha, ha. Ha. HA. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

A game where 95% of the earth is water, so wars are fought in giant aerial mecha (similar to tanks) and PAC/MAN (Personal Air Combat / Marco Active Network) suits. (similar to common forces, but Strike Witches style.) Command Center is basically a GIGANTIC ship, capable of launching all sorts of aircraft, and serves as a bay for other ships, most of which have or charge from perpetual engines. Ships come in three main components:

"Masts": Crucial parts of the ship. So long as the ship retains at least one, she can still function, but she loses speed for every one lost. Most are engines.

Weaponry: Intership weaponry ranging from missiles to railguns. Ships are given ratings rather than definite amounts of weapons, based on weapon clusters that have the power to reliably destroy ship components.

Cargo Space: How many things the ship can hold, including crew space.
---
Combat is simple, depending in what you're piloting. The common suit comes in many variants, and can be upgraded or mixed with other types of suits to give you various abilities in combat. Some specialize in taking out mecha, such as heavy weapons proficiency or abilities from the Electronic Warfare kits. Others are built to take out enemy forces, such as Fighters, and those oriented to destroy enemy bases and naval units, such as Bombers or Antisubmarine kits.

In this form, combat is done as duelling d6s, including whatever abilities come into play, effected by the current enviroment, and equipped weapon/armor.

When piloting an aerial mecha, combat is done as part rock/paper/scissors and part 3-stat base, or maybe something else, there really should be a way to balance that but I have yet to find it. Attacks against groups of soldiers can be done with certain weapons or loadouts, damaging them as a group or applying an effect as a whole, but are ineffective at precise attacks. Mecha vs Mecha is the most common. Mecha can more easily attack naval emplacements, making them more effective vs enemy ships than enemy soldiers.

Naval units can also be sent out. Many are equipped with weapons that excel in taking out large numbers of soldiers, but many do not have the accuracy or power to destroy a mecha efficiently.

Actually, might apply the same combat system to everything and assign bonuses based on who's attacking who.

To repair a Mothership, she must idle in non-contested waters to repair one "mast" at a time, away from battle, or dock at her tiny home island for repairs (two per turn). Each nation's land is very small, but has strong defenses and orbital elevators- most people live in space or on large ships.
---

Roughly 1 in 8 people capable of using the mecha or PAC/MAN suits, which tap into the user's inner energy, find themselves capable of "magic" feats, by harnessing said energy better than any other.

---

Large scale combat is a scary thing- PCs will act as leaders of squadrons, which are 100 units each, or Mecha Pilots, or be on board a Naval Unit. For all NPC controlled units, combat is vastly simplified to duelling D6s, without bonuses, but end damage is influenced by the unit RPS. A 100 man squad gets a 1 and a naval unit gets a 6? They're wiped out. If the squad got the 6 and the naval unit a 1, the naval unit would take serious damage but still be functional enough to attack next turn.

An NPC unit attacking a PC unit is calculated as if the NPC unit was a PC unit, for balance reasons.
---

There are other types of fighting, aside from the Mothership VS Mothership combat. You may fly a small platoon of Stealth/Reconnaissance units over an enemy force and try to escape, for instance.

Sometimes, you'll have to defend your home island from others.

Occasionally, you'll even have to deal with orbital weaponry. Sometimes, you'll deal with such weaponry breaking and re-entering, and you'll need to clean up the debris- as, if sea life takes a hit, so does the entire food stock of the planet, and you may be attacked or helped by others. Every so often you'll get to go up the orbital elevators and have peace talks, time off, or god knows what.

I also really like that 1d4(d4), and may have noncombat actions use them.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7081 on: October 06, 2013, 06:18:43 pm »

Anyone else think reviving the rtd testing thread would be a good idea? Lot of new threads I see lately say "this is mostly just a test" or something like that.
Considering that half of my games are tests for the other half and newer batches of the first half of my games, I suspect I would be well-suited to making such a thing.

Maintaining and updating it possibly less so, but it'd probably help that I'd always have use for it. Thoughts? Features it should have? Insistence that I let somebody else do it instead of making a test test thread to better refine my future test threads?
The format the old thread had was basically fine, other than potential messiness. It'd probably all transfer over with minor changes at most. Honestly, the thread maker doesn't have to really update TOO often, just when a test finishes/starts, and when new guinea pig pigs playtesters join/leave. The workload probably wouldn't be as high as actually running an RTD. The main decision is how long the thread could be rented for, which I would personally limit to two weeks at most, considering GMs can end their turn early. Sure, they could procrastinate on turns, but that wouldn't be very nice. Just print "MAKE SURE YOU HAVE TIME TO ACTUALLY TEST THIS THING YOU'RE THINKING OF" in big red text. I'd also add a suggestion that you not join as a playtester unless you can check the forums several times a day, but that's me. A week of time should ideally be enough for 7 or so "turns" of testing in a conventional RTD. Also make sure people remember that elaborate description and novel quality writing will likely not be required in a test run, regardless of if you would normally do so.(unless the players are all bards or something. I think someone had an idea like that once.)
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: October 06, 2013, 06:20:17 pm »

So, who's going to do it? I shall do it if no-one else wishes to.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: October 06, 2013, 06:22:17 pm »

I think I need to do that more often. Come up with like a hundred ideas then clusterfuck them until it works.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7084 on: October 07, 2013, 07:55:59 pm »

(1d4)d4 or 1d4(d4)?
Actually, is there any difference?
*goes to check*

Edit: Yeah, there's a massive difference. One is anything from 1 to 16, the other skips a few numbers. In both, 4 is the most common result.
Basically, you first roll a die (I picked d4 because I didn't want this to become crazy), and based on the result of that die, you roll a number of other dice (I also picked d4 for that, but d6 would work just as well). These dice determine your total, skipping the first die.
Examples: [(1d4)d4: 1, [2]]:2
[(1d4)d4: 3, [4, 3, 2]]:9
[(1d4)d6: 2, [6, 4]]:10
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:02:18 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7085 on: October 07, 2013, 07:59:01 pm »

(1d4)d4 or 1d4(d4)?
Actually, is there any difference?
*goes to check*
Use (1d4)(1d4) to make your head explode.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7086 on: October 08, 2013, 03:10:33 pm »

SO MUCH COOL STUFF HAPPENING AND NO TIME TO READ IT ALL.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7087 on: October 08, 2013, 06:20:07 pm »

In which Joben rambles about his theories of game design and a new system that he's thinking through the principles of.

"I shoot at the orc with my bow"
"You miss"
"Ok, I shoot at the orc with my bow...again"
"You hit"

Around a game table this is fine, it takes a minute or two. But in a play-by-post it could take two weeks, and the player might feel like they didn't make a meaningful decision the second time. The orc has to get shot, no one is moving on until it happens. A missed bowshot stalls the game. I posit that wherever a player can't think of anything to do other than the exact same thing as last turn they are bored.

Is it possible to build a rule set where characters can accomplish something on every turn but still experience risk? Can we at least do our best to guarantee that they are faced with new circumstances each turn?

I can think of a very simple way to build this in a melee combat game: Both fighters take damage on every clash. The only question is: How much? Random rolls and modifiers for skill, equipment and other factors could apply. But no matter what each turn something will be accomplished and the circumstances will change. You still might say "I attack again" but you will at least have to do a new risk assessment based on how well the last clash went.

But I'm not sure how to do it for ranged combat. Hitting something with an arrow or bullet is kinda pass/fail, so maybe the question becomes "how many shots did it take to hit?" Did you get lucky or did it take the whole magazine? The ranged combat guy's worry becomes ammo management rather than health management.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: October 08, 2013, 06:47:04 pm »

That actually sounds pretty good to me. It also presents a good argument for bows vs guns, assuming you have both in your world:

Arrows are weaker, but you can/have a chance to recover them after combat, and they're always 'silent'
Bullets are stronger, but once you use them they're gone (yes, I know you can make new bullets from spent casings and such, but not everyone has the skill to. Unless you want to keep that in but say 'you can only do so at designated areas' so guns don't have an overwhelming advantage, although again that's up to the GM... >.>) and they need a special modifier to be 'silent'

That is, if you wanted to split things up that fine.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:04:15 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7089 on: October 08, 2013, 06:57:19 pm »

How about... a nested Rock Paper Scissors model?

Like, three RPS-s in one RPS. Like, this is really hard to explain nonvisually, but lets say there are like, three fighting styles, and each counter each other like a rock-paper-scissors game. Inside each style is another RPS, three different types of strikes.

So let's say I have... Punch beats Kick beats Lunge beats Punch. I can do a Rock (attack), Paper (attack), or Scissors (attack).

This allows for cancellations, double-wins, double-losses...

So, a Scissors Punch vs a Rock Kick = (Lose, Win), or no bonuses applied.
A Scissors Punch vs a Paper Kick = (Win,Win). +2 on duelling d6s.
A Scissors Punch vs a Rock Lunge = (Lose,Lose). -2.
If one is the same and the other is different, it's +/-1.

---

This system could really shine with the inclusion of a "spirit" system, and an "almighty" element unattached to any attack that gives guaranteed +/-0. Using the attack drains spirit, and landing +1/+2s replenishes it, although fairly slowly.

Fighters are equal in all forms of strikes, so you don't get a predictable "this guy is gonna use scissors" thing.
This is just a prototype, might need fleshing out.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7090 on: October 08, 2013, 07:28:23 pm »

I like the idea, but can I throw something in?

Punch>Kick>Lunge>Punch
Bash>Overpower>Intercept>Bash
Slash>Stab>Parry>Slash

Slash/Stab/Overpower>Punch>Intercept/Bash/Parry
Parry/Slash/Intercept>Kick>Bash/Overpower/Stab
Stab/Parry/Bash>Lunge>Overpower/Intercept/Slash
Punch/Kick/Stab>Bash>Parry/Slash/Lunge
Kick/Lunge/Parry>Overpower>Slash/Stab/Punch
Lunge/Punch/Slash>Intercept>Stab/Parry/Kick
Bash/Overpower/Lunge>Slash>Punch/Kick/Intercept
Overpower/Intercept/Kick>Stab>Lunge/Punch/Bash
Intercept/Bash/Punch>Parry>Kick/Lunge/Overpower

Sky>Earth>Energy>Sea>Void>Sky
Sky>Energy>Void>Earth>Sea>Sky

Have a sword, facing someone with a club? They can get more advantages, but you can perform an Energy Stab to beat their Sea Bash, for example.
The Cyan Menace

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: October 08, 2013, 07:40:45 pm »

I feel like I'm drawing crazy alchemical circles when I illustrate these. How about a pentagram of styles each with a triangle? Possibly have two pentagrams, but each style only has 3 of the 5 attacks. If I'm not mistaken, this makes draws more common, but might make strategy more prevalent...

I like the idea of this "nested shapes" thing. Could really go somewhere with this.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7092 on: October 08, 2013, 08:18:36 pm »

damn, he found out my secre- I mean...
It's 3 triangles nested into another bigger triangle, and a parallel pentagram.

The basic rule is
Unarmed>Maces/flails/bludgeoning>swords/spears/slashing>Unarmed
With an even amount of exceptions.
The Cyan Menace

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7093 on: October 08, 2013, 08:39:53 pm »

Now I wish I had some info for the martial arts dueling game I was making.

See, if you miss in my system, it's because the other guy actively made a decision to dodge, not because you just rolled poorly.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7094 on: October 08, 2013, 08:43:16 pm »

That actually sounds pretty good to me. It also presents a good argument for bows vs guns, assuming you have both in your world:

Arrows are weaker, but you can/have a chance to recover them after combat, and they're always 'silent'
Bullets are stronger, but once you use them they're gone (yes, I know you can make new bullets from spent casings and such, but not everyone has the skill to. Unless you want to keep that in but say 'you can only do so at designated areas' so guns don't have an overwhelming advantage, although again that's up to the GM... >.>) and they need a special modifier to be 'silent'

That is, if you wanted to split things up that fine.

Thanks. Yes that's certainly possible. If there one thing roleplayers seem to like it's diverse choices. Also I think having a selection might make players happier with the mechanics of whatever weapon they get.

There is a slight problem with this method. It would cause evenly matched opponents to kill each other simultaneously a lot.

While I'm sure that happens in real life occasionally from a game perspective I think some extra mechanics, or careful stat balancing would be required to make satisfying combat.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 661