Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727002 times)

BlasterKyubey210

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's ride
    • View Profile

So, been working on a RtD since my other one's slowing down (badly), and I'm not too sure about this:

Ruletype: Experimental Diepool rules

Dice in use: d6s, d10s

Player Character style: Villians in an evil organization against the heroes - Succeed at all costs

... and I have no idea how to apply the Diepool rules, even though I'm trying to set them up.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile

HEEEEEEY!

Mistertimn and I are currently planning a HOMESTUCK RTD! There are only going to be 6 slots, and no waitlist. When someone dies, the game will continue with the remaining players, and if the game ends, either by completion or complete annihilation, we likely will start anew. We're not prepared to reveal much information, but it you WILL have a choice of Typing Quirks and Sylladexi, and it WILL NOT be a direct retelling of the story. We ARE accepting Pre-Ins for anyone who so want to.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

*Looks at username*

You aren't on my list. Give me an example of your work.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*Looks at username*

You aren't on my list. Give me an example of your work.
Uh...What? I'm doing the Mall Fight RTD. And working with Spinal on the 8-Bit Deathmatch one. And with Tsuchigomo on the Magicka one. And SuperBlast on the UPGRADE one.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile

HEEEEEEY!

Mistertimn and I are currently planning a HOMESTUCK RTD! There are only going to be 6 slots, and no waitlist. When someone dies, the game will continue with the remaining players, and if the game ends, either by completion or complete annihilation, we likely will start anew. We're not prepared to reveal much information, but it you WILL have a choice of Typing Quirks and Sylladexi, and it WILL NOT be a direct retelling of the story. We ARE accepting Pre-Ins for anyone who so want to.
I bite(with a pre-in)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

I'll pre-in as well, though I stopped reading Homestuck at about the time Jane was introduced. >.>
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

mistertimn

• Bay Watcher
  • hEY BOY
    • View Profile
    • Twitter

HEEEEEEY!

Deffo looking forward to this. There's been a lot of planning involved, and there's a lot more yet to come!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I suppose I could pre-in as well. But mostly because I enjoy typing quirks.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

HEEEEEEY!

PRE-IN!
I need to be in a HomeStuck Game thing.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Pre-in.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

mistertimn

• Bay Watcher
  • hEY BOY
    • View Profile
    • Twitter

Got all of you down!  ;D Greenstarfanatic went away for the weekend, (or just till tomorrow, can't remember) and we still have a slot to fill, so we can't start just yet. But is you want to PM me you character setup, I can get it all recorded to make starting super fast.

Spoiler: Character Setup (click to show/hide)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile

A GOOD DAY TO DIE TO ROLL HARDER OR SOMETHING

I'm in, if there's more room.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heeeey, i got interwebz. I'll be back on Sunday.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OH! And by the way, players should have AT LEAST have gotten past Act 1 in Homestuck for Sufficient Knowledge of the Source Material.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I return, and with a wall of text that will probably detonate on the launch pad.

Needs more struts.

Experienced Pilots- As pilots complete missions, they gain experience which makes them better at some of the aspects of piloting a giant rocket (atmosphere flight/maneuvering, orbital flight/maneuvering, mechanical repair, etc.) The idea being that there should be some reason to incorporate safety features, amusing as it might be to wantonly slaughter hordes of Kerbals.
This was definitely something I wanted to include. I was even thinking of being so sadistic as to start astronauts off with a -1 to everything, making a successful mission or two, even a simple one, vital for getting (and replenishing) pilots who don't immediately light anything on fire.

Mission Mechanics- Right off the bat, if I were doing this I'd have crew actions and design rolls be the standard 1d6 you've got there, but have "does the command capsule separate properly" type rolls be 2d6- this allows you to be more generous with bonuses, and also introduces a deviation curve that may allow design flaws to persist unnoticed for quite some time.
This I was planning on being somewhat simpler with.

Mainly there'd be a roll to liftoff, and if that went perfectly then cool. If it didn't go so perfectly then you'd have to make a roll to salvage it. If that didn't go so perfectly then you'll need a roll to salvage that, and so on. Well, until you collide with something as a result.

So mostly just a roll for every overt action, like "lift off," "get into an orbit," "start heading for X," etc., but then a bunch of other rolls if you get anything except a 5 for any of those.

I certainly like the notion of design flaws persisting for longer periods of time, but I'm concerned that rolling for every little thing might be too much, at least if I'm rolling for design and construction as well. Rolling for every major stage, ie separations, would be more reasonable, but I'm still not sure if I want that third excuse for things to fail.

On the bonuses and penalties note, I don't normally have any plans for minor bonuses or penalties anyway, so that'd mostly be wasted on me. On the other hand, the notion of, say, sticky gasses that make separation slightly more difficult makes me happy.

Research- Definitely something I want, not sure if there's a satisfying way to do it. To explain, in my mind Research is a way to get more money for each flight (as scientific institutions pay you money to conduct orbital research) and also a way to unlock special materials and/or new components for better performance and more options. Still very tenuous on that one, since if it makes it in it can't undercut the core design mechanic.
Hm. Well, the way I was intending R&D to function was essentially completely from the ground up, rather than a tech tree or anything like that.

So for instance, let's take thrusters. We'll say that the basic starting thrusters have Weight 1, Thrust 1, and Duration 1, meaning they can lift 1 Weight for 1 Second. Which is obviously completely useless, since that's what they weigh.

So then what happens is obviously everyone starts researching ways to increase their power or efficiency or whatever so that they can actually do their jobs. So either you research less weight, or more likely increased Thrust, then maybe some Duration, especially if trying to lift things by applying a hundred times their weight in thrust for one second has unfortunate side effects on Kerbal bones.

The main snag here is I want Efficiency and such to be things, but I'm not sure if I want them to be directly researchable things (ie a stat field) or if you just make more efficient rockets by refining their weight down everytime something increases it instead of pushing on. I want that to be a design decision, of course, so you can have some players just brute forcing their way to the stars while others try to be really efficient about it.

But again, I'm not sure if Efficiency should be its own stat or how trying to create engines twice as big but using your current tech would work.

Finally, I've been sort of wondering about new materials and fuels and such. Currently and tentatively it's all just assumed or can be assumed; that is, you don't research a new fuel type, you just research better engines and that might mean more efficient fuel or more efficient use of that fuel or whatever. It could potentially be interesting to separate out materials and structural designs and such, and might encourage more specialization or trading if you've got really elaborate girders but they're made of styrofoam while your neighbor just sort of bolts adamantine on there and hopes it works, but it could also just overcomplicate things or require everyone to split their research or have a standing trade agreement anyway.

How's it look so far? Am I forgetting steps/equipment? Am I just super dumb and should go back to dating pigeons? I'll definitely have to go through this again once I start making up equipment stats, I just figured this would be the best starting point.
Spare rocket parts landing on civilians is entertaining, but I'm not sure if I want to worry about it. I suppose an added roll to jettison it roughly where you want couldn't hurt too bad.

Hadn't really considered equipment as such, other than sort of wondering what happens if someone decides they want to develop lasers instead of worrying about propulsion or whatever. Now that I think about it though, there's probably all sorts of awesome goodies you could equip your inept goons with to allow them to depressurize the cabin on demand.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 661