Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727877 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Or you could allow players to make up special weaponry for themselves, within margin.
Actually, that would work better, and be much less work for me. And I was going for less of the heavy sci-fi stuff, but I can add some interesting things if need be. The reason I pulled out INT is because I forsee less negotiation stuff, and I can always add in intuition if needed. I might do that.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Well, I think some people would definitely appreciate being able to create their own weapons. Sounds like a good idea to me.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:00:37 pm by Harry Baldman »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Hey, I'd like to try GMing a RTD, and I have an idea (Roman Empire approx 280BC, All Myths Are True). But I really don't know if I can handle it. Any advice?
One thing you are going to have to find a solution for is that the Romans didn't really care about the gods you worshipped as long as you did some sacrifices to the emperor whenever they wanted you do that. So there were like a bajillion religions. Also there's Christianity, and monotheisim and polytheism don't mix well.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also there's Christianity, and monotheisim and polytheism don't mix well.
Hey, I'd like to try GMing a RTD, and I have an idea (Roman Empire approx 280BC, All Myths Are True). But I really don't know if I can handle it. Any advice?

As evidenced by the quote, the setting predates Christianity by more than a third of a millennium. So Christianity wouldn't really be an issue here (neither would religion in general). Although that does bring up the point that there wouldn't actually be a Roman Empire back then. I'm not entirely sure they even fully controlled Italy back then.

EDIT: [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/Roman_conquest_of_Italy.PNG]It turns out they didn't even control half of Italy back then[/url]. They were only just done with subjugating local tribes near Rome, and soon were fighting Greeks.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:18:24 pm by Harry Baldman »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Also there's Christianity, and monotheisim and polytheism don't mix well.

As evidenced by the quote, the setting predates Christianity by more than a third of a millennium. So Christianity wouldn't really be an issue here (neither would religion in general). Although that does bring up the point that there wouldn't actually be a Roman Empire back then. I'm not entirely sure they even fully controlled Italy back then.

Oh, whoops, I saw AD 280.

Maybe 50 BC would be better, because that's when Caesar was fighting the roman senate. Or maybe in their wars with Carthage. I'd like to see a RTD about that.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the Punic Wars were only a few decades later. So that's not really impossible within the framework of that specific RTD, especially if you take heavy liberties with history. It's not like we demand 100% realism.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

I probably would be taking massive liberties with history, because I took a look at ancient roman law and politics and my sanity began to slip away. 50BC sounds good, but if I made this RTD, then things would be... malleable by the players. For instance, what if they prevented the assassination of Julius Caesar? I would end up having to write an alternate history.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's a revised primary weapon system.

Armory:
Spoiler: Primary Weapons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Secondary Weapons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Auxiliary Gear (click to show/hide)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Hmm. That seems to be a really customizeable system, but it feels like the secondaries should have some customization too, such as ammo types or attachments. For instance:

SSBR-HP-S2ISR
 Hollow Point rounds with a short barrel, I'm assuming 20-25 bullets per magazine, with iron sights.
Attachments are a forward grip for added maneuverability and stability, and a bayonet for stabbing things that get too close. The design is built around short-to mid range combat.

or

SSBR-AP-L26LR
 Armor Peircing rounds on a long-barreled rifle with x6 zoom.
Attachments are: a small computer unit on the scope to auto-stabilize while aiming, and a magazine holster on the stock for quick reloads.

or

SSBR-L-M1RMLR
 Laser rounds with a medium barrel and reflex sight.
Attachments are a collapsible barrel addition that adds to the length of the barrel when extended (it would take a turn or so to extend it) and a computer unit/screen on the side of the scope with a zoomed-in view (x3).

---

Secondaries are that- backup weapons, and shouldn't have that level of customization, but if the main weapons have such great variety the subweapons should hypothetically match, as so:

CSSP(custom Synthetic Systems Pistol) could allow some ammo choices logically, excluding Rocket,Flamethrower,Grenade, and the like
CSSP-SR-B "Ticonderoga"
A pistol that fires sniper rounds. It's inaccurate and only takes 3 bullets in a magazine, but can still hit a target at longer ranges than most pistols. Attached is an extended barrel which helps with accuracy.

CSSP-M-D "Sunday Special"
A revolver model firing magnum rounds. It holds 6 bullets at a time and is lethal at close range and effective at medium range. Attached is an automatic hammer which allows very quick firing.

CSSP-ER-A "Guardian"
A pistol loaded with stun rounds. It holds 2 charges per magazine and is only useful at closer ranges. Attached is a spike coming off the barrel or quick and deadly melee strikes.

That's just my take on it, though, I can see why you'd restrict pistols because it's simpler and balanced.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Almost-final version. Opinions?

Armory:
Spoiler: Primary Weapons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Secondary Weapons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Auxiliary Gear (click to show/hide)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

It seems to be expansive enough, despite my earlier post. I'd play it soley due to the customization, because I'm a complete sucker for it.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It seems to be expansive enough, despite my earlier post. I'd play it soley due to the customization, because I'm a complete sucker for it.
Yeah, I got the idea for the ammo from 'Old Man's War', where they have rifles that shoot bullets, lasers, grenades, rockets, are flamethrowers, and can switch between them at will. Also, everyone joining the army is retirement age. It's a long story, and a good book. And the sci-fi is done quite well.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I may be spinning up a test run of elements from a possible paper-driven D&D style RPG I'm developing. No idea if it will pan out.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

I'm inning my pre to this custom gun stuff.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Me too.
I want in on this sweet, sweet arsenal of !!FUN!!
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 661